Opinions on VC doubles

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am still somewhat in the market for a double, but mostly still in the learning phase. I saw on another thread that I believe @IvW is a fan of these rifles, I could be mistaken though. Anyway what is everyone's general opinion on these doubles and also the pricing of this one with the brass and dies. I had almost settled on saving up for a new Heym but I am interested to know you all's thoughts on this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.26.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.26.26 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.26.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.26.28 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.26.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.26.30 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
And
I use to be a fan...no more...buy a Hyem.
That is what I needed to know! Roger that. I like the idea of going to Dallas and getting fitted and having one made to fit me, I mean if you're gonna drop $15,000 or so on a rifle it might as well be the one you want.

And

That is what I needed to know! Roger that. I like the idea of going to Dallas and getting fitted and having one made to fit me, I mean if you're gonna drop $15,000 or so on a rifle it might as well be the one you want.
I am flirting with the same idea. Typically I enjoy a bargain hunt but with a big boom-stick, I think proper fit is the only worthwhile pursuit. Total runs up quick with options. If I order what I want, my wife will notice :-|

Been looking at this one for a while too. I like the look but it’s a long trip to check the fit.

Only posting the link hoping someone else buys it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.27.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.27.28 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.27.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.27.31 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.27.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 9.27.32 AM.png
    389.6 KB · Views: 105
I am flirting with the same idea. Typically I enjoy a bargain hunt but with a big boom-stick, I think proper fit is the only worthwhile pursuit. Total runs up quick with options. If I order what I want, my wife will notice :-|

Been looking at this one for a while too. I like the look but it’s a long trip to check the fit.

Only posting the link hoping someone else buys it.
Jesus that's a beautiful rifle man. Absolute work of art right there.

Check with Kevin Peacock. He had a rather interesting experience with a VC.

And

I highly recommend scheduling a visit with Chris in Dallas. If you want, he’ll even take you to his range (about a 20 minute drive from his office) and let you shoot several calibers.

The 89b in the larger African frame with no engraving will start at about $22k, but you may be able to find some used 88b’s for $15k. Ask Chris what he has available.

When I was first in the double market, I looked at the VC options as well. I held several at DSC, and the three main reasons I went with Heym are:

1. I liked the look of their splinter forends
2. Jerome (head sales guys) went to Rigby
3. The style and shape of the 89b models looked more like a traditional British gun

I highly recommend scheduling a visit with Chris in Dallas. If you want, he’ll even take you to his range (about a 20 minute drive from his office) and let you shoot several calibers.

The 89b in the larger African frame with no engraving will start at about $22k, but you may be able to find some used 88b’s for $15k. Ask Chris what he has available.

When I was first in the double market, I looked at the VC options as well. I held several at DSC, and the three main reasons I went with Heym are:

1. I liked the look of their splinter forends
2. Jerome (head sales guys) went to Rigby
3. The style and shape of the 89b models looked more like a traditional British gun
Thanks. That is what I would like to do. It will be a while before I can get my gun fund built up to where it.needs to be for that. It sounds like that is the route to go though.

I've had one for 9 years and have shot it a lot. Never a problem of any kind. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

I have only owned one VC. It is an OU 9.3x74R. I purchased it as new with factory mounted Recknagel bases from a distributor. I have the test target and the original load.

When it arrived, the safety was so stiff that it was unusable without a leather glove. I didn't measure it, but the front trigger was at least eight pounds. The distributor dropped VC or was dropped by them soon after the purchase. Not yet having fired it (dumb - but that awful trigger), I sent it to JJ Perodeau to fix those issues. Upon return, the trigger and safety were fine, and I headed out back for a sight-in session. I mounted a S&B classic on it. To say it shoots patterns with the regulation load is charitable. Patterns indicate some sense of organized placement of holes on paper. I then sent it to Lance Hendershot to work up a load. The best he do was a composite four-shot group of around five-inches at 100 yards (using the scope) with each barrel shooting around 2MOA. He did find a MOA load for each barrel but the groups were in neighboring counties. The only way to get this thing to shoot like a scoped OU 9.3 should would be to have JJ re-regulate it. I haven't been able to bring myself to dump that additional money into the rifle, particularly when I have a pre-war SxS in the same caliber that shoots under 2.5 inches at 100 yards.

That is a sample size of exactly one. But I will not be moving to a second.

Visit all those guys in Dallas and handle them all.

I will always advise for Heym and Merkel over VC. For anything up to .500NE, Merkel. For .577NE or .600NE, Heym.

Verney Carron - contact Kevin peacocke. I personally handled his rifle and I think it was not right from the factory. Design and execution were simply wrong and the rifle is basically off face after a low number of shots.

Heym- haven't heard of any serious problems, they are boringly reliable. To me, they are a production, factory version of rigby or h&h

I have only owned one VC. It is an OU 9.3x74R. I purchased it as new with factory mounted Recknagel bases from a distributor. I have the test target and the original load.

When it arrived, the safety was so stiff that it was unusable without a leather glove. I didn't measure it, but the front trigger was at least eight pounds. The distributor dropped VC or was dropped by them soon after the purchase. Not yet having fired it (dumb - but that awful trigger), I sent it to JJ Perodeau to fix those issues. Upon return, the trigger and safety were fine, and I headed out back for a sight-in session. I mounted a S&B classic on it. To say it shoots patterns with the regulation load is charitable. Patterns indicate some sense of organized placement of holes on paper. I then sent it to Lance Hendershot to work up a load. The best he do was a composite four-shot group of around five-inches at 100 yards (using the scope) with each barrel shooting around 2MOA. He did find a MOA load for each barrel but the groups were in neighboring counties. The only way to get this thing to shoot like a scoped OU 9.3 should would be to have JJ re-regulate it. I haven't been able to bring myself to dump that additional money into the rifle, particularly when I have a pre-war SxS in the same caliber that shoots under 2.5 inches at 100 yards.

That is a sample size of exactly one. But I will not be moving to a second.

Visit all those guys in Dallas and handle them all.
I hate that for you, it is unfortunate. You are not the only person I have read this from about VC. With the way they handled Kevin's rifle I'll not spend a dime of my money with them.

I hate that for you, it is unfortunate. You are not the only person I have read this from about VC. With the way they handled Kevin's rifle I'll not spend a dime of my money with them.
These are definitely good things to know ahead of time. Unfortunate for Kevin and the other guys that have had issues but definitely good knowledge to pass along.

You have likely heard from enough to form an opinion at this point, but I'll dog pile anyway. Go with Heym.

I've known a few well connected industry guys that have about faced on VC. Used to recommend them with a primary selling point being that you could pay the same as a PH Heym and get a prettied up VC. Then quality issues arose. There are wonderful VC's out there but I've heard of too many lemons (especially regarding regulation) to be confident in them myself.

Come back to the DSC convention talk to Heym. Look forward to seeing you again

You have likely heard from enough to form an opinion at this point, but I'll dog pile anyway. Go with Heym.

I've known a few well connected industry guys that have about faced on VC. Used to recommend them with a primary selling point being that you could pay the same as a PH Heym and get a prettied up VC. Then quality issues arose. There are wonderful VC's out there but I've heard of too many lemons (especially regarding regulation) to be confident in them myself.

Come back to the DSC convention talk to Heym. Look forward to seeing you again
I had hoped to get back to the DSC, but the wife and I are going to hit the SCI this year since it is in Nashville. Can only make it to one or the other and nashville is only 2 hours down the road. I will definitely be chatting with the Heym guys there though. I'm going to get the ball rolling on this after I complete this safari and I hope to have a double in action for the next one, but we will see. It is definitely at the top of the budget ceiling. I picked up a little side hustle here at home to have some extra spending cash for the trip, and I hope to continue it to help pay for a double after I get back.

I have heard a lot of good stuff about them. Where does Merkel fall into the mix? Would they be maybe just below a Heym, but still considered a high quality rifle?

It is my understanding that they do not fall high on the list. If you want a good source of information contact Champlin Firearms in OK. They can help you out with real evidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you