Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Commitee Member
Hunted
South Africa
New guy in the African Safari line. Been hunting for a few years (25). Recently stepped out of the comfort zone of whitetail and elk and won an African Safari hunt in the LinPoPo Province at a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Banquet so we are in the planning phase of that for next summer.
Normally shoot a M70 in 30-06 and I have a matching 257 Roberts as well as the traditional Marlin 30-30 Lever Gun that my son is about to take over and then a little more modern 450 Bushmaster in AR platform.

Last edited:
Welcome to AH 19_A_CPT! Enjoy the planing process and looking forward to having you on the site.

Welcome to AH! Enjoy planning your hunt in Limpopo!

19_A_CPT, welcome to the AH forum! Congratulations on winning the Limpopo hunt! Your 30-06 with 180-200 grain premium bullets should work perfect!
Of course you realize you have to write us a report with lots of pictures of your hunt!:giggle:

19_A_CPT, welcome to the AH forum! Congratulations on winning the Limpopo hunt! Your 30-06 with 180-200 grain premium bullets should work perfect!
Of course you realize you have to write us a report with lots of pictures of your hunt!:giggle:
We are planning to hunt mostly plains animals up to wildebeest. I usually shoot 150 grains but am planning on jumping to the 180s. Any Brand you would reccommend for Plains Animals?

We are planning to hunt mostly plains animals up to wildebeest. I usually shoot 150 grains but am planning on jumping to the 180s. Any Brand you would reccommend for Plains Animals?
Out of the great 06, Nosler Partitions, Swift A-frame, Nosler Accubond, or a step back to the 168 grain Barnes TTSX should work well on any plains game including BW. Personally I’d move up to a 375 H&H if taking an eland (which can go well over a ton!), but people take them as well with lesser cartridges.
In Limpopo even though it’s considered bushveld, it’s possible to need to shoot 250 yards, so be prepared to shoot off sticks accurately.
Oh you’re going to have a grand time on your first Africa adventure!

Welcome aboard!! What part of Nashville? We are 30 min West.

Welcome to AH and have fun planning your trip!

Welcome! Glad to hear your going over to hunt - which outfit are you booked with?
you already got great advice on bullet selection and shooting sticks. I used a 30-06 with 180 TSX and handled everything including kudu with fantastic results. Would use that combo anytime.

Hello and welcome!

Welcome to AH. Plenty of info on this site.
I used a .30/06 with 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets on game up to gemsbok and zebra with great results. All bullets made exit.

New guy in the African Safari line. Been hunting for a few years (25). Recently stepped out of the comfort zone of whitetail and elk and won an African Safari hunt in the LinPoPo Province at a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Banquet so we are in the planning phase of that for next summer.
Normally shoot a M70 in 30-06 and I have a matching 257 Roberts as well as the traditional Marlin 30-30 Lever Gun that my son is about to take over and then a little more modern 450 Bushmaster in AR platform.

Hello 19_A_CPT,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Your Model 70 Winchester in .30-06, is about perfect for proverbial “plains game” in Africa.
I have done my share of shooting in Africa and N. America, including Alaska with the .30-06.

I recommend 220 grain round nose soft point bullets, at around 2400 feet per second which, is the load I have used the most in that caliber.
It is a real peach.
That said, I have also done some shooting with the 180 grain spitzer soft point bullet as well.

If hunting in more open grassland or sparse foliage desert conditions, the 180 grainers are excellent.
I like the Swift A-Frame bullet, in all calibers however, because the faithful old work horse .30-06 drives it’s heavier bullets at moderate velocity, even the old fashioned bullets such as the Hornady round nose, Remington “Core-Lokt” and similar ones, all hold together well, breaking bones and penetrating thoroughly, even on tough species such as, blue wildebeest, zebra, waterbuck and the likes.

Regarding African rifles and cartridges, it iis inevitable that since you are now planning to hunt Africa, sooner or later you will want a .375 H&H.
May as well start saving your pop bottle money for one now, LoL.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Welcome to AH! Your .30-06 will be perfect for Limpopo. It’s thick there and shots tend to be short.

Welcome to AH from a former resident of Brentwood!

:S Welcome: to AH!

Welcome to the family and the forum @19_A_CPT. We would be happy to assist you in any way possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesDet

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.