New to the group

Kelly Kirkland

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I purchased two safaris late last year and they are coming up. I'm visiting South Africa with Thaba Mahaka Safaris and Africa Maximum. Both hunts were donated to a charity and I purchased on silent auction. I'm hunting impala, warthog and blesbok so far but I may add to the list. I really don't know what to expect as far as additional charges they may throw in to the almost all inclusive hunts or the cost of taxidermy and shipping back to the states. Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated

Welcome to AH. Better check the fine print, donation type hunts usually spell out what is covered and what is not.

Welcome to AH!

Check the outfitters websites and if possible talk to the outfitter to find out day fees and extra trophy fees. They will provide you with all you need to know

Last edited:
Do a search for the nearest Dip and pack company or taxidermist (whichever you choose to do) nearest your outfitters or somewhere on the way back to the airport. Contact them for pricing also.

We did the same thing on an auction hunt last year with Zembe Safaris. Everything was included minus our trophy fees and tips. But yours could be different for sure. As far as the dip and pack our outfitter uses Life Form which after checking later was one of the most expensive around. Four animals was $1250. Which included Kudu, B Wildebeest, Impala and Blesbuck. Shipping was $600 to the states and the customs broker was another $400 plus the fees and freight to the tannery which totaled $800 all together. Hope that helps a little.

Welcome to AH Kelly! I certainly would recommend you to look carefully at your contract with these outfitters and educate yourself prior to getting there. Do you have a contract with these outfitters? Did you get a price list from them? Feel free to share more information with us.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH! My costs for last year included $4,500 for 2 full shoulder mounts, 3 euro mounts, zebra rug (black felt & black leather trim), 2 back skins and 3 full skins. Air freight to Denver, $1,404. Paperwork, US Ag inspection, unpacking, re packing, delivery $500.
For tips and other info, check out the Safari Guide here on AH.

Welcome to AH..and soon to be welcomed to RSA!
To avoid surprises and hardships it is imperative that you check the T&C 's in fine detail. Things MAY not appear as they are.

Welcome aboard Kelly. Auction hunts are the "loss leaders" used to get you into the "store" so to speak. At most locations the animals you mentioned can be taken in one or two days max. The outfitter is banking on the fact that you will not be able to resist pulling the trigger on other more costly animals as well. Tips for your PH and staff, the VAT, Dip & Pack, crating, export permits, shipping, clearing, shipping to a taxidermist and taxidermy fees followed by re-crating and shipping costs to your door will easily double the cost of the hunt and then some. Airline tickets will cost you give or take $2,500 from the States to RSA & back. Not to mention the new gear you will just "have" to buy. Never the less, in the end it's just money. You will have the time of your life!

I didn't think I'd ever meet another Kirkland. Funny how the world works. I can tell you that you shouldn't put too much weight into the cost, but more on the value of the experience.

I just returned from my first trip to Namibia, and I was worried about my budget, which caused me to miss a chance on a fantastic blue wildebeest that was not on my original list of "must haves." I'm kicking myself now because of it.

You should expect the cost of taxidermy to be similar to slightly less than what we pay in the states on a similar sized animal. The cost of the freight will be based on the animals and how they are finished. Also, holding fees at customs or USDA depending on the animals. Expect no less than about $3500 for freight for five decent sized animals. The good part is that it could take 6-12 months before all the bills are due for the taxidermy and freight.

Good luck!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH, Read the fine print and ask your outfitter what additional cost will be occurred during your hunt if you wanted to take additional animals

Welcome to AH Kelly! Nice to have you as part of our community, really looking forward to your input.

Welcome to the best forum Kelly! Enjoy!

Welcome Kelly! Look forward to your participation!

Welcome to AH.
Enjoy interacting on this Forum. Many hours of gathering useful information is awaiting you..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross