New to the group

Kelly Kirkland

Reaction score
Media
I purchased two safaris late last year and they are coming up. I'm visiting South Africa with Thaba Mahaka Safaris and Africa Maximum. Both hunts were donated to a charity and I purchased on silent auction. I'm hunting impala, warthog and blesbok so far but I may add to the list. I really don't know what to expect as far as additional charges they may throw in to the almost all inclusive hunts or the cost of taxidermy and shipping back to the states. Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Welcome to AH. Better check the fine print, donation type hunts usually spell out what is covered and what is not.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Welcome to AH!

Check the outfitters websites and if possible talk to the outfitter to find out day fees and extra trophy fees. They will provide you with all you need to know

Last edited:

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Do a search for the nearest Dip and pack company or taxidermist (whichever you choose to do) nearest your outfitters or somewhere on the way back to the airport. Contact them for pricing also.

MarkD

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa,Alaska,Oregon,Washington and Florida
We did the same thing on an auction hunt last year with Zembe Safaris. Everything was included minus our trophy fees and tips. But yours could be different for sure. As far as the dip and pack our outfitter uses Life Form which after checking later was one of the most expensive around. Four animals was $1250. Which included Kudu, B Wildebeest, Impala and Blesbuck. Shipping was $600 to the states and the customs broker was another $400 plus the fees and freight to the tannery which totaled $800 all together. Hope that helps a little.

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
Welcome to AH Kelly! I certainly would recommend you to look carefully at your contract with these outfitters and educate yourself prior to getting there. Do you have a contract with these outfitters? Did you get a price list from them? Feel free to share more information with us.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Welcome to AH !

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Welcome to AH! My costs for last year included $4,500 for 2 full shoulder mounts, 3 euro mounts, zebra rug (black felt & black leather trim), 2 back skins and 3 full skins. Air freight to Denver, $1,404. Paperwork, US Ag inspection, unpacking, re packing, delivery $500.
For tips and other info, check out the Safari Guide here on AH.

Bruce

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
Hunted
Namibia/Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
Welcome to AH..and soon to be welcomed to RSA!
To avoid surprises and hardships it is imperative that you check the T&C 's in fine detail. Things MAY not appear as they are.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Welcome aboard Kelly. Auction hunts are the "loss leaders" used to get you into the "store" so to speak. At most locations the animals you mentioned can be taken in one or two days max. The outfitter is banking on the fact that you will not be able to resist pulling the trigger on other more costly animals as well. Tips for your PH and staff, the VAT, Dip & Pack, crating, export permits, shipping, clearing, shipping to a taxidermist and taxidermy fees followed by re-crating and shipping costs to your door will easily double the cost of the hunt and then some. Airline tickets will cost you give or take $2,500 from the States to RSA & back. Not to mention the new gear you will just "have" to buy. Never the less, in the end it's just money. You will have the time of your life!

Lrntolive

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, SCI, NRA, WCF&W
I didn't think I'd ever meet another Kirkland. Funny how the world works. I can tell you that you shouldn't put too much weight into the cost, but more on the value of the experience.

I just returned from my first trip to Namibia, and I was worried about my budget, which caused me to miss a chance on a fantastic blue wildebeest that was not on my original list of "must haves." I'm kicking myself now because of it.

You should expect the cost of taxidermy to be similar to slightly less than what we pay in the states on a similar sized animal. The cost of the freight will be based on the animals and how they are finished. Also, holding fees at customs or USDA depending on the animals. Expect no less than about $3500 for freight for five decent sized animals. The good part is that it could take 6-12 months before all the bills are due for the taxidermy and freight.

Good luck!

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Welcome to AH!

petrusg

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
Welcome to AH, Read the fine print and ask your outfitter what additional cost will be occurred during your hunt if you wanted to take additional animals

Global Rescue

Sponsor
Since 2012
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
ss.globalrescue.com
Media
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Grand Slam Club/Ovis
Welcome to AH Kelly! Nice to have you as part of our community, really looking forward to your input.

robertq

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
Hunted
Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
Welcome to the best forum Kelly! Enjoy!

African Sporting Creations

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
africansportingcreations.com
Media
Member of
DSC, SCI
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Welcome Kelly! Look forward to your participation!

Kowas Adventure Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
kowasadventure.com
Media
Articles
Member of
NAPHA, DSC, SCI
Hunted
NAMIBIA and ZIMBABWE and SOUTH AFRICA
Welcome to AH.
Enjoy interacting on this Forum. Many hours of gathering useful information is awaiting you..

cagkt3

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmoneyrushreviews

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh