New Reflex Sight

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by Philip Glass, Feb 9, 2019.

1. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    Would I need to put the Kalhes on a Ruger no.1 450/400?

2. Rule 303

Rule 303 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
    Just noticed this. What Aimpoint do you need to remove to replace the battery in? I have 3 different Aimpoints and can easily change the battery while they are on the rifle.

3. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    @Philip Glass , wanted to tag in on this discussion.
    Looking for a reflex for the 416RM barrel on the R8 and there are a few in the running.

In the lead for consideration is a Trijicon SRO (same mount as the RMR) in a Trijicon RM60 mount.
    SRO has a larger sight picture, however doesn't look like it's quite as durable as the RMR.
    It also looks like the RM60 mount fits the Blaser R8 pattern and is also quick detach.

Wondering if anyone has experience with this (or any) combination of Trijicon & Blaser.
    Any other reflex/mount combinations recommendations for DG calibers would be helpful as well.

Paul Miller likes this.

4. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    There are many options but I am not a fan for the .416 you are setting up. I would rather go with a scope that goes down to 1X or 2X. To me the reflex sight is for 25-75 yard shooting. I would much prefer my .416 to be a 200 yard gun just in case I need it to be. I am remiss in not posting pics of my R8 and my Kgun with the Kahles red dot sight but both are fantastic. I have the Kahles red dot on the .470 and although I've not hunting with it yet I can say it is neat and does not detract from the beauty of my double rifle. It makes my double rifle a 100 yard gun hence the reason I've added it.
    If you have to buy a red dot I would recommend the Kahles. It has Swaro glass, is small, and can remove the battery without dismounting.
    Regards,
    Philip

BeeMaa likes this.

5. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    My plan is to hunt with the 416 at ranges under 100 yards...at least that's the plan.
    I was going to try it out with the stock irons and see how I do with that before I took the plunge.
    We all know that nothing in Africa goes exactly to plan, so having a low power scope may be in the cards.
    Just kicking the tires.

6. Tokoloshe Safaris

Tokoloshe Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Safari International
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
    I would like to add a fellow Zimbabwe PH Lou Hallimore had a Trijicon installed on his box lock english .470 and he loves it. I do not use them on my doubles, but I do have one on my CZ.404J and I think it is great. I am using a Kahles, I will replace my wifes trijicon with a Kahles. Some of the things that I like about the Kahles are the positive clicks of elevation and L&R. The biggest plus is the ability to easily change batteries without having to removing from the base. On the down side I do not like the fact that they use a hollow head (allen wrench) to adjust. If you do not have one in that size with you, your screwed. Also for some reason it disturbs me that a Kahles product is made in Japan?

Nothing wrong with aimpoint, but that said I have two for sale!

7. Dwight Beagle

Dwight Beagle AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    US, Mexico and Argentina
    My turkey shotgun does double duty for HD also. Wanted to try a Venom but none were to be had at the time so I bought a FastFire III.
    5FC25FAF-CD20-4201-863E-410A4EB44CAA.jpeg

8. Newby

Newby New Member

Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, North America, UK, Central Asia
    Not sure about Trujicon, but this bloke can supply a range of Blaser friendly mounts for various non scope sights.

https://www.titanium-gunworks.de

Easy to deal with. Good service.

BeeMaa likes this.