New here

spitfire_er

AH member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a gun enthusiast, hunter, fisherman, family man, chiropractor, and I also run a gunsmith shop in Southern MN building custom rifles. I enjoy building LR and competition rifles along with nice hunting rifles. Reason I found this site was I recently acquired a 338-416 imp on a 1917 action that I though was built by the guy I first started building rifles with. Long story short, the action was previously done by him, and someone else I know kinda failed in making it feed a newly chambered 338-416 among several other things i need to fix. I've built a lot of 1917s but the largest before this rifle was a 338 RUM. Luckily I have an article from Gunmaker magazine in the 90s that goes into detail about making these big cases feed and the proper cutting and milling of everything. After several hours of milling and fine tuning, I now have a good functioning rifle that feeds from the mag.

Got to looking at more stuff on here and it looks interesting overall. I have an unhealthy relationship with 1917/14's and I see a few here. Every time I do an action or rifle up I say it'll be my last, then a year or two later I do another. Something about doing a bunch of detailed metal firing by hand.

Anyways, this looks like an interesting place and I'm always trying to expand my knowledge base and the big bore rifles are something that I've never really gotten too involved in. This looks like a good place to learn a thing or two.

Below is the red and black 338-416 I've been fixing, and the other is one a partially finished project I threw together. Both 1917s. I have a ton of other 1917s but got tired of looking for photos, and the other stuff i build is more "tactical" and comp.
20210713_200650.jpg
20210713_200656.jpg
20190418_161850.jpg

Cheers!

Welcome to AH spitfire_er! Glad you found us, you'll fit right in.

Giday spitfire_er and welcome to the A H forums

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH!

Checkout the big bore addiction page, it’s a fun read.

Welcome to AH!

spitfire_er, welcome to the forum! That’s one fine looking rifle, but I would probably need your chiropractic work after pulling the trigger :Arghh: :ROFLMAO:!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH.

Welcome to AH. Nice to have you as part of our community. Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting!

Hello spitfire_er,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Is your 338-416 cartridge similar to one called the .416 Taylor ?

No doubt that since you build rifles, I am preaching to the choir with the following comments:

In regards to P17 actions, they are quite good for building .404 Jeffery caliber rifles on.

The excellent outdoor writer, Jack O’Connor had a .416 Rigby caliber rifle built on a P17 Enfield action.

However, I mention these because perhaps members here might be inspired to commission you to build them a large bore repeater on a P17 or P14 action.

Presently, when compared to .416 caliber rifles, the .404 caliber rifles remain difficult to locate at anything I’d call a reasonable price.

Anyway, thanks for joining.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH! Have fun planning! Let us know if you have any questions...

Welcome to AH! I too have the same question as Velo Dog. .338-.416 Improved what? I'm thinking .416 Taylor too as I have one, but the .338WM is the same case as the Taylor so I don't see the purpose other than the slight powder capacity increase with the Improved case version? If I run my .338WM (or .458WM) brass through the Taylor dies, it is now a .416 Taylor case? So, maybe a .338-.416 Rigby, which would really be fascinating to me.

Welcome aboard spitfire. "Project Rifles" are almost a continuous thing on AH. You will find this to be a knowledgeable group. As previously stated you are going to fit right in. What have you hunted with the rifles you've built? Do you have any plans for hunting Africa? One of our "gifted" members posted an article several years back that may be of some interest to you. here is the link to that article.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!