New guy /Lion Safari inquiry

If in South Africa, two PH's are legally required. If hunting with a reputable outfit, I would not worry about being armed as a photographer.

In other countries, the PH requirements are probably different.

If you provide the Safari company/outfitters name and country and area to be hunted, someone on AH should be able to provide information.
As to everyone’s suggestion and lack of information paused on. I’ve decided to forgo this trip. I told my frend
Thank you for everyone’s input.
I have shot on many documentaries in North America and always had a side arm except in National parks. But then I was only dealing with grizzly bears.
If in South Africa, two PH's are legally required. If hunting with a reputable outfit, I would not worry about being armed as a photographer.

In other countries, the PH requirements are probably different.

If you provide the Safari company/outfitters name and country and area to be hunted, someone on AH should be able to provide information.
going to pass on this one! Thank you everyone for the great input.
As many said to much drama and not enough info being supplied to me!
I was wondering about the gun laws.
Africa is one Continent I haven’t traveled or worked as a news Photographer/ documentary cameraman.
So thank everyone for the great information and guidance.
I will be traveling to photograph Africa on my own dime and on my own agenda. In the future

Drama before it even begins. This is gonna be good !!
I can almost smell the popcorn popping !!

Drama before it even begins. This is gonna be good !!
I can almost smell the popcorn popping !!
You’re right after hearing everyone’s input I’m telling my friends as delicately as possible that they would be better off with a local film crew.

Lever actions in 45-70 had brought down the buffalo, more then once. I dont see a problem bringing it as a back up rifle in lion hunt.
But entire story smells fishy.

If you get there, consider trying to hunt something if opportunity permits (plains game).
Rental rifles can be considered as well. Less hasle when travelling.
Will be forgoing this trip. With help from this blogs members I’ll be planning one of my own.

Legally & Procedurally Speaking: It’s hard enough to travel there with more than one rifle sometimes even if you’re the hunter. You can forget all about bringing a handgun. And this applies double when you’re just the photographer and not there to do any of the hunting yourself.

I’m also curious how the “Guide” offered to just “Sell you a rifle”. That’s not legally possible. And he’s supposed to know this if he’s really an outfitter.

Ballistically Speaking: A .45-70 Government would be pretty low amongst my list of choices for hunting any African dangerous game (barring leopard). For lion, I’d say that 9.3x62mm is a good start (while .375 Holland & Holland Magnum is the legal minimum in most African countries for dangerous game hunting).
Thank you. I’m forgoing this trip as all the info I’m getting from my friend is lacking at best. But I will in the future plan my own.

Speaking of Red Flags:

1) Asking you to bring a rifle even though you are a photographer.
2) Selling you a rifle in Africa (illegal).

No reputable outfit would suggest either of those two mentioned above.
I’m forgoing this trip too much bad info from firend. IE: telling me sell when he ment rent…

A group lion hunt can only be South Africa. I’d ask about the experience of your PH. Demanding an observer bring a rifle sounds like inexperience and someone very eager to have a showdown with a lion. Also, since you wrote you have no experience hunting lions, I’d encourage you to research CBL lion shooting and decide if it’s something you even want to be associated with. I find farm raising lions on chickens in small pens their whole lives and releasing them for “hunting” into a “fair chase” farm a week before shooting very distasteful. Nearly all the lion hunts offered in South Africa fall into this category.
This blog has been a wealth of information…I’m forgoing this trip.
It’s turning out that it’s something I don’t want to be associated with. Also lot’s of bad communication and mix messages IE: telling me that a rifle could be sold when they ment rented….what else could go wrong.

This blog and it’s members have been a wealth of information…and I’m forgoing this trip.
It’s turning out that it’s something I don’t want to be associated with.(Group hunt)
Also lot’s of bad communication and mix messages IE: telling me that a rifle could be sold when they ment rented….what else could go wrong?

Zimbabwe, as a visiting hunter must have a valid TR2 permit with his name specified.

………
I will be traveling to photograph Africa on my own dime and on my own agenda. In the future

Best plan I’ve heard today. Good luck planning your own adventure.

Welcome to AH. Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting.

New hear but not to the hunt.
I have been asked to accompany a friend and his group to document their Safari in Africa all expenses paid. The catches I would be documenting their trip and not hunting. Their target is lion and at this point I don’t have a lot of information like the guide name and the company. I was told no not hunting I would need to bring a rifle anyway. I have no problem with that as I carry the S&W when I photograph or fish in Alaska .
I told my friend to relay to the guide that I would most likely bring a marlin saddle gun in 45-70 with a guide scope and depending on the legalities of the country a Smith and Wesson 44 mag 4 inch barrel double action revolver.
The problem is The guy is taking the stance that since I’m a photographer I am an idiot about firearms. My friend said the guy didn’t like my choice of rifle and said he would sell me one when I get there that would be proper for the hunt.
I am already getting all sorts of red flags and even though they all expenses paid trip sounds great I might pass on this one.
With that said I’m curious if my rifle was to be for a CYA situation and I would not be hunting what is wrong with my choice?
I’ve bought this rifle new in the mid 70s.
Being that old it has a half cock safety and holds five rounds. I know this rifle like the back of my hand I can tear it down and reassemble it blindfolded. I have the habit of taking it to the gunsmith every five years for a check up. I thought it would be a good choice because I’ve used it in heavy bush on large north American animals before.
I have no experience in hunting lions in Africa so why would the guide dislike my choice in firearm and round?
Just curious
Take care
Dave
sounds like you are headed out on a ranch lion hunt. those can be very dicey and it also sounds like you are dealing with a very inexperienced PH. The videographer has no need for a side arm. If its that dangerous then two PH's should be employed. Ive just returned from two safaris wih videographers who film all DG hunts and do not carry a side arm. Should they? Maybe but certainly not mandatory.
That said a lever gun has no place on a DG hunt. Sorry. He should loan you a .375 if he thinks its required.
Ask lots of questions before going on this one!
We are now curious so keep us informed.
Philip

This blog and it’s members have been a wealth of information…and I’m forgoing this trip.
It’s turning out that it’s something I don’t want to be associated with.(Group hunt)
Also lot’s of bad communication and mix messages IE: telling me that a rifle could be sold when they ment rented….what else could go wrong?
This is just like that game you play in an effective communication exercise. Tell someone something when it goes through 5 people then back to you it was not the original message. Not sure how much is the PH and how much is your friend? When you say sold, my first thought was rent. That is a common practice.

What should have happened from the start was at a minimum a conversation with all parties involved. The PH, your friend, and yourself. 1, when your concerns are brought up to the PH by second hand knowledge. Anyone is a lot more likely to down play it, just human nature. 2, some of the apprehension you have could have been addressed by the PH. Not your friend down playing the words of the PH, would have helped with your comfort level. 3, if I had this responsibility placed on me. I would like to have conversation with the PH so we could talk logistics. Nothing crazy, an ice breaker so to speak. Someone he knows and not just a camera man.

Those are just my thoughts, sounds to me most of this could have been avoided by better communication.

Welcome and look forward to your participation!

Hello Reallybigcameraman,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.