New Guy from San Diego, CA

Rukus

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New guy to the forums here, looking to learn all I can about DG hunting in Africa. Specifically with a focus on double rifles and Cape buffalo. My ultimate goal is a Searcy .470 and an old Dugga boy! Thanks in advance.

-Rukus

Welcome to AH.
Good luck with your planning.

Welcome Rukus

Going after Cape Buffalo with a double now that might be the ultimate hunt in my book.

Please feel free to stop by our booth in Sacramento,
8-11 January – Booth Number 2739 would be great to talk in person.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Welcome to AH Rukus!

Welcome to AH Rukus! Enjoy the site.

Welcome to AH Rucus, you found the place to obtain all the information you will need!

Rukus welcome to AH.

I think you have found the right place to be looking for your safari package.

If you look at hunting deals you will find some great cape buffalo offerings. the thing is that these PH are on here to support the forum and it members. Plus they get business from the forum members.

a real 2 way street in hunting.

you look =, ask questions and then choose who you want to go with, a great way to do business.

Welcome to AH, Rukus !

Welcome to AH, Rukus !

Rukus,

Welcome to the best forum.
There are some excellent Safari Companies and PHs participating in this forum.
Do not hesitate to ask them very pointed questions about buffalo hunting, as well as hunting and fishing in general, as it pertains to Africa.
They are a wealth of information because most if not all of them were born and raised in bush or at least rural Africa, with a rifle in one hand and a fishing rod in the other.

Regarding double rifles, I think the Searcy ones are a good buy, as are Verney-Carron, Chapuis and Heym.
Once I bought a brand new Merkel (.375 H&H) and it was shootable/accurate but, the right side chamber was too tight, causing primers to flatten and sticky extraction, with the factory ammunition it was supposedly regulated for.
Furthermore, I prefer doubles to have approximately 26" barrels, as they seem to balance better for me.
The Merkels all seem to have 23.something inch barrels - too short for my taste.
My personal preference for current day/new made doubles (that a working person can actually afford) is the Heym PH Model.

I have a Heym 88B (mechanically about the same rifle as the PH Model, only cosmetically different) that I bought used but in like new condition, and so far I am very happy with it (in spite of the fact that Cal Pappas makes fun of it for not being a London or Birmingham built rifle).
It balances well for me (25.5" ejector barrels) and regulates quite well indeed.
At 9.9 pound, it has a hefty recoil (it's a .458 Winchester) but it regulates so well with 500 grain bullets that I am willing to put up with being punched around a bit from it.

Nonetheless, when you get a chance, have a peep at:
www.calpappas.com
Cal is rapidly becoming one of the world's authorities on particularly English double rifles but, also somewhat on double rifles in general.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Rukus welcome to AH.

I think you have found the right place to be looking for your safari package.

If you look at hunting deals you will find some great cape buffalo offerings. the thing is that these PH are on here to support the forum and it members. Plus they get business from the forum members.

a real 2 way street in hunting.

you look =, ask questions and then choose who you want to go with, a great way to do business.

What James said!

And welcome :)

Ahhh, San Diego, the summertime refuge for us Phoenicians. Welcome to AH! Not sure if you're going to SCI or not, but if so, please stop by the HartzView Safaris booth and say hello.

Thank You all for the warm welcome! I'm pretty new to the hunting side of firearms, but otherwise pretty well versed when it comes to firearms. The double rifle has long been a desire of mine so I'm finally getting around to working towards that dream. I will definitely enjoy soaking up the knowledge available here on the forums!

Welcome to the forum Rukus.

Great to have you here, and am sure you will find all you need to know on the ultimate hunt you're planning.

All the best.

Loodt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg