NAMIBIA: BOWHUNT: Bow, Blood & Bolt Gun - Pursuing Plains Game With Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris

Love that Black, they are on the top of my list!

Day 6 of Hunting
The morning started out strong as Errens took me back to Farm Kelpie in search of more game on my list. after picking up our other two sets of eyes(Smiley and one other) away we drove through the steep hills. Within only minutes a Jackal was spotted. I got out of the passenger seat of the truck with a sense of urgency as one of the trackers handed me the rifle. Using the bed of the truck to rest the rifle, I took aim on the small fox like target as it stopped approximately sixty yards away as I whistled. As the cross hairs settled where my guide instructed, I gently squeezed the trigger until the gun unexpectedly fired. When the scope settled I saw the jackal spin on the ground as if it were a good hit. "Now I'm excited!" yelled Smiley with excitement in Afrikaans. The excited trackers ran over to the ditch which the shot animal spun itself into. As soon as they approached, the jackal got up and ran up and over the first hill with half of it's insides hanging from the outside of it's body. Errens and myself were in disbelief. "Even the jackals here are African tough" I thought.

As we crested the hill the jackal was nowhere to be found. Shortly Erren's dogs arrived due to us only being a few minutes from the farm when they heard the shot and ran over to be part of the action. Soon one of the dogs picked up the trail of the jackal and were off after the shot animal. We heard barks, snarls, etc. that let us know that the dogs were face to face with a wild animal. All five of us ran to the sounds of the fight. Errens being the well conditioned hunter that he is, beat me to the scene as usual and put a .38 slug from his pistol into the jackal which brought the sounds of chaos to an end. The hide was blown open from the .375 H&H so we decided that the hide was unsalvageable. Yet I decided to keep the skull so into the truck it went. smiley carried the jackal and I jokingly said to him "Careful Smiley, he might still bite". The entire crew broke out in laughter.

jackal1.jpg

Jackal rifle kill 60yds

While we continued our morning of driving and glassing, we went to the top of what I was informed to be the tallest point of the region. It gave us a great view for miles in any direction as we glassed for more animals. We spotted a few species of game yet nothing worth pursuing yet the scenery was to die for.

formiles3.jpg

Errens, Smiley, and Unknown name in Afrikaans(in blue) glassing for miles

formiles2.jpg

formiles1.jpg

Once we arrived back at the truck a group of four to five Hartmann's Mountain Zebra were spotted on the next hill over and a great distance away.

We decided to make a move and walked in the opposite direction downhill and out of sight. We maneuvered along the side of the steep terrain trying cautiously not to lose our footing. We traveled up a dry river bed which had lots of good sign of Zebra such as dung, tracks, and rolling pits dug out in the dirt which I was informed that the Zebra roll in the dirt in an attempt to remove ticks. Up the backside of the hill we hiked to where we last saw the small herd of Zebra. We then followed their tracks across the ridge of the steep hill.

As we were cresting the the next ridge and coming up on some rocks, Errens noticed the group of Zebra on the next hill over. We crept up to our shooting position basically on our asses. With the rifle across my lap, I crept as slowly and as low as possible as I sucked it up due to thorns as well as other sharp objects gave me the feeling of discomfort reminding me that I was alive. Errens got prone ahead of me taking position on the rocks. I handed him the rifle and he put it into place for me to utilize what he called a "V" between two rocks for a shooting rest. After removing my binoculars from my chest so they wouldn't be in the way, I slowly low crawled and crept into position, basically crawling into the rifle.

Errens told me exactly where to aim right after I zoomed in to 10x with the scope and verified which Zebra to take. "Two thirds up and third stripe back from the shoulder" he told me. This reticle placement was given due to the shot being 341 yards as well as having a heavy crosswind as the Stallion was quartering away facing to our right.

I let out a slow deep breath as I placed my finger onto the trigger knowing that I would have to be calm for the shot. Once the cross hairs were where I wanted them, I gently began to squeeze the the trigger as Errens watched on through his binoculars.

The rifle fired and echoing throughout the valley. The group of Zebra ran uphill and to the left. I had my next round chambered within a couple of seconds or less. And then the stallion stopped quartering almost straight towards us but slightly towards our left and slightly turning his head to our right. Immediately Errens instructed me to place the cross hairs on the animal's nose and give it another squeeze. And exactly that I did. This time when the rifle fired echoing once again throughout the valley, and when my scope became still again after the post settling of the rifle's recoil, I saw the zebra jerk his head up into the air followed by a collapse as if all ability of the beast to stand was suddenly taken away from him and on the ground he lay completely lifeless.

My mind raced with celebration as I was in disbelief of the shot I just made even though it was a second attempt. "I just shot my first zebra!" I thought. Of course a quick high five from Errens and then I let out a "Wew hew!" as even my voice celebrated throughout the valley.

To my surprise the rest of the group of zebra only ran a short distance even after the second shot was fired. And there they stood as they wondered either what just had happened or where exactly was the danger before they decide on which way to run.

At this point not only did I have the feeling of accomplishment yet I felt that no animal in Africa had a chance of survival as long as I was teamed up with Errens. Therefore, time for a selfie!

21728462_10155768739625152_8905398768052610020_n.jpg

21731310_10155768739435152_8106639745444584143_n.jpg
zebra1.jpg
zebra2.jpg
zebra3.jpg

Hartmann's Mountain Zebra rifle kill 338 yards

To be continued.........

Nice Zebra. Was your first shot a miss, or did it just fail to anchor the animal?
Failed to anchor the animal but I might as well consider it a miss. With my lack of long range rifle shooting, the first bullet hit him in the neck just barely grazing any meat tissue

That afternoon we hunted Farm Kelpie some more as we were in search of Greater Kudu and Warthog("Pumbaa" as Errens referred to our prey the Warthog). After a couple hours of driving we startled up a mature male warthog. Yet he didn't run away just yet. He stayed behind some thick brush not knowing that the "Death Team" was en route on foot to kill him. Once in position and setup on the sticks, the warthog picked up our scent as the wind changed direction against our favor. He ran uphill and away from us and then stopped on top of the hill deeply quartering away from us slightly facing left at 142 yards. I was rushed on the shot knowing he would bolt out of our lives at any second. Still on the sticks I quickly placed the cross hairs right behind the left shoulder and gave a steady squeeze. When the scope settled after the recoil I saw the large tusked pig run over the hill. I was unsure of the shot but it seemed as if I had done everything right on my part while on the trigger.

We headed over the hill with our trackers and eager game chasing dog. And sure enough, not nearly sixty yards from where I shot him, lye a massive mature warthog with huge tusks. It looked like a wild bore had breaded with an elephant and this was the outcome. A tough hard skinned grey colored pig with long tusks. We once again celebrated with high fives and another series of pictures. And a few pics of course with the "Warthog chaser" tracking dog.

To my surprise Smiley was what most would call either a little "powerhouse" or perhaps someone that will certainly have back issues later in life. The kid is seventeen years old and stands about five feet tall. He's not super skinny yet he doesn't seem to have a single ounce of fat on him. This hard working young man allowed the other trackers to put the entire warthog on his shoulders. And without a single struggle or stumble, he headed up the hill and off to the truck with the entire non-field dressed warthog draped across his shoulders.

warthog1.jpg

Warthog rifle kill 142 yds

warthogwwarthogchaser.jpg

Proud "Warthog Chaser"(the dog) with "Pumbaa"(the warthog"

loadingsmiley.jpg

smileycarryhog.jpg

smileycarryhog2.jpg

With the evening closing we continued on in search of one last thing, a Greater Kudu bull. This was the last animal on my list. I couldn't believe how much luck as well as hunting confidence had changed since the first couple of days of the trip. I definitely felt as if Errens had pulled me through a giant wall that was blocking my hunting success.

That evening no bull Kudu was spotted. Yet another jackal was bumped from the thicj brush and then stopped right around 130 yards when I whistled at the jackal. Leaning through the rolled down window of the open passenger side door of the truck, I once again settled in and just kind of made things happen. "Wham!" the gun fired and once again the scope settled I noticed the jackal doing what most would call "the funky chicken" (a funky dance move spinning and flopping out of control) until the animal was out of sight.

The trackers headed on foot to recover the animal on the other side of the fence as Errens and I pushed forward in the truck just until we crested the hill. And once the truck stopped, sure enough, here came the tackers with a jackal in Smiley's hand. With of course, a huge smile on his face.

jackal.jpg

As usual we hunted until dark. Once we got back to Errens house the warthog's head was removed and the rest was cut up and butchered by the trackers. This animal would feed them just like most of the other game taken by paying hunters in the area. Even the intestines, stomach, etc. was used by the locals. This being verified by the look on smiley's face as he carried away everything from the inside of the animal.

zebraneck.jpg

60-70 pound(approx) neck of the Zebra I shot. I'm no powerhouse and could barely hold up just the neck of the Zebra

To be continued..........

Last edited:
Danny, that zebra and long shot...you will remember forever. nice job...they are a tough hunt, but oh so much fun.

Thank you Areaone! An exciting hunt it was. Especially after the vigorous hike while wondering if it was going to pay off

That is getting it done. Nice zebra and some fine jackal to. That looked like one old ugly boar hog you got. I was amazed at how many warthog you see in Namibia.

That is getting it done. Nice zebra and some fine jackal to. That looked like one old ugly boar hog you got. I was amazed at how many warthog you see in Namibia.

Thanks Bill! This place was amazing with how much game there is to pursue

That warthog has some mass!! Congrats on a hunt that has improved a lot from the airlines losing your bow. Looks like you had a great time.. Bruce

Awesome hunts! Oh am I jealous...not one, but two jackals and I don't have a single one to my name! Good shooting!

Day 7 of Hunting
The next morning we headed out to hunt the Khomas right after breakfast. We were feeling strong and confident knowing that we still had plenty of time to hunt and the only animal left on the list was a Greater Kudu Bull.

And sure enough, just within minutes into the hunt we spotted a Kudu standing under a tree just at about seventy yards from the truck. "It's a bull" I said to Errens as I could see both horns with the exception of the upper portion of his right horn extending into the branches of the tree he was standing under. "Shoot it!" Errens replied with enthusiasm. I quickly chambered a round and didn't waste any time getting set up with the rifle resting on my non firing arm which rested across the window seal of the passenger side door. I knew it would be only a second or two until he bolts which hurried me to get the cross-hairs on the large animal's left shoulder as he was completely broadside facing towards our left yet looking right at us. I gave the trigger a good steady squeeze and sure enough the rifle fired causing the Great Bull to slightly jump as if he were trying to shake off a lion. He then bolted directly away from us and disappearing into the brush.

I chambered another round once we stepped out of the truck. WE began to walk into the direction in which he ran. Before I knew it Errens, who was walking ahead of me, looked back and smirked as if he were saying good job just by facial expressions.

And there he lay, dead on the ground up against a large bush. We could see where he stumbled and crashed as one previous bush was nearly broken over yet it appeared as though he managed to nearly get up on his feet and stumble nearly twenty feet before his final collapse where he lay completely expired with a bullet hole directly through the lower portion of the shoulder, right where my cross hairs were as I squeezed the trigger.

One horn was broken off near the top on the right side from fighting. We agreed that this was a bull with character. The base of the horns were thick with rings close together and they came out and extended very wide as well as tall. I couldn't be more happy with this rather large and mature Greater Kudu Bull.

I cuddled with "Kudu Chaser" (couldn't remember the tracking dog's names so I just nick named them depending on what animal they tracked/chased for me that day) next to the giant Kudu of course while Errens and Hendrick went to get the truck. After I helped(very little) load the Kudu, back to Farm Heusis we went..... just in time for breakfast beers

kudu2.jpg

Greater Kudu Bull rifle kill 70 yds.

kudubull3.jpg

Right horn broken from fighting

kudubull4.jpg

Happy bow with his Kudu. Yes I was laughing as Errens kept cracking jokes while taking pictures.

kuduchaser.jpg

"Kudu Chaser" posing proudly with the Remington 700

loadingkudu.jpg

kuduprocess.jpg

The rest of the morning was spent just relaxing with a couple of cold ones as Errens and I talked about bows. He showed me his Hoyt Carbon. It looked extremely well put together. He informed me of the testing that Hoyt put the bow through and how you could adjust the bow up to eighty pounds if someone were to use it for dangerous game. I was sold on the idea of this bow for a possible replacement if my Mathews Creed were to never be in my possession after the airline company had misplaced it.

That afternoon we hunted again but just for meat. Philip, the main guide and head of the operation, would give us a list of whatever type of meat was needed for the kitchen. Today it was a young Blue Wildebeest bull as I believe they are good eating. And of course, like always, Errens had us well within gun range and momentarily the meat for the kitchen was loaded into the back of the truck.

meat4thekitchen.jpg

Hendrick(our tracker) gives two thumbs up over our "meat for the kitchen" two young Blue Wildebeest bulls

Since my list was now complete my hunting for the remainder of the trip consisted of searching for whatever game was needed for the kitchen. Normally young Blue Wildebeest or a young Oryx. And of course any Baboon or Jackal that was within gun range was a "green light" for pulling the trigger.

Since our plan for the next couple of days(depending on how the hunting was on my Father's attempt to harvest a large male Eland) was to travel to the Kalahari, I decided to tip my guide and tracker due to the possibility of not being able to hunt with them again. I felt as if they not only worked very hard in getting me on some of Namibia's finest game, yet they made the trip very exciting and a great time to say the least. Therefore I gave them thanks as well as the high end of the recommended gratuity.

baboonskullwbeer.jpg

Baboon skull that Dale found in the creek bed behind the farm.

To our surprise, that evening at the sundowner, Philip informed us that we qualified for metals based on the size of the Kudu that each of us had harvested. I'm not exactly sure as to what the medals mean nor how the point system works. I was just excited to be there to hunt with my Dad and our friend Dale. But to qualify for an award based on good animals taken for all three of us was a bonus.

awarded.jpg

From left to right...Dad, myself, and Dale smiling to a successful hunting trip

To be continued..........

That warthog has some mass!! Congrats on a hunt that has improved a lot from the airlines losing your bow. Looks like you had a great time.. Bruce

Bruce this trip did a complete 180 on me from the day we arrived without my bow to the day we started having success on our hunts!

That is a super cool Kudu and one of a kind for sure!

Awesome hunts! Oh am I jealous...not one, but two jackals and I don't have a single one to my name! Good shooting!

Thanks Ridge! I have to say that if anyone were to be in need of some great hunting that this is the place to be!

Congrats on the zebra, nice looking pig also!

Man there is a lot of mass in that warthog! I have really enjoyed your story so far! Very nice animals!

Thank you much my friend. I'm glad to hear that others are enjoying my posts. I'd be glad to share this story if I ever had children one day

Wow , nice looking kudu also!!

I
That is a super cool Kudu and one of a kind for sure!

I agree Mekaniks. Errens informed me that this is about as mature as they come. And once he breaks off the other horn while fighting for his turf of ladies he will most likely be killed by other Kudu bulls

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.