NAMIBIA: BOWHUNT: Bow, Blood & Bolt Gun - Pursuing Plains Game With Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris

Still no sign of the bow. The airline company has been useless when trying to gather information

Another justification for the lugloc GPS device to track luggage. Wouldn't they be surprised if you were able to track it

That day was a hunt of a lifetime!! Thanks for sharing the report and photos.

That stalk and the ensueing two animals is what might be expected in a fictional novel but to actuall experience it may well be one of the most excetional hunt-stalk-results you may every have and a suitable reward for the unfortunate loss of your bow.

What a great day. Game rich area and two great animals. Keep it coming. Really enjoying reading this and your dads posts.

It does pay to be persistent.
Congrats on getting it done by spot and stalk!

That stalk and the ensueing two animals is what might be expected in a fictional novel but to actuall experience it may well be one of the most excetional hunt-stalk-results you may every have and a suitable reward for the unfortunate loss of your bow.

Von I couldn't agree with you more. It certainly brought me back into a positive attitude after losing my bow

Picking up a bow you're not familiar with and getting it done, that's perseverance! Well done DL!!
Agree with Phil, the loaner bow apparently had no ill effect on your shooting ability!

Day 4 of Hunting
Everyone was starting later than usual on this day as yesterday being Saturday was everyone's weekend night which resulted in some drinking. I loaded up into the truck after a late breakfast and away we went, The day didn't include much more than our routine of jokes while driving and glassing followed by attempting to stalk a large warthog. In the evening after sitting up on some high rocks, enjoying the scenery, and glassing, we spotted two warthogs feeding. We stalked to within seventy yards and never got a shot.

glassing.jpg

On this afternoon we didn't have much for stories rather than a large male Kudu that we attempted to stalk within bow range yet were spotted by the Kudu resulting in him running for his own safety. After seeing and attempting to get close to other game with no success, we came across a herd of cow Kudu. We had minimal time to make a shot on one at twenty yards resulting in us not being able to recover the animal. I felt terrible about this. With the possibility of the animal suffering, as well as the embarrassment of having to tell my father and everyone at camp that I wounded the animal. I then realized that this bow setup not being right for me due to not being the bow I've practiced with nor being used to it. I was constantly questioning if it was me or the bow. I had a very uneasy feeling due to the outcome of attempting to take an animal with what I believed to be a less than perfect bow setup. Yet I was still grateful for my guide setting me up with this bow, I realized that it may not be the best thing for this trip.

Day 5 of Hunting
Right after breakfast and just before heading out to continue to track our wounded Kudu, we shot some arrows just to realize that the bow kept hitting high. We properly moved the sight to where it needed to be. But when we went to confirm the adjustments it was not hitting where I intended consistently. This was also very frustrating.

We decided to just head out and find the animal I wounded before temperatures get too high. We tracked for what felt like another eternity of hopes. Small trickles of blood which then ended. Errens advised me that it's best to end the search as this was most definitely just a meat shot and the animal will most likely live after healing with little to no suffering. He then asked me if I wanted to switch to the gun. "Most definitely", I replied with certainty. Although I had to swallow my pride as a bow hunter, it was the ethical thing to do. Not only for any animal I wish to harvest but for my guide and tracker as well due to the possibility of this tracking for what seemed to be forever going being mentally and physically taxing on them as well as myself.

While conversing with Errens about my decision to switch weapons based on ethical decisions, I spotted a female Kudu perhaps sixty to seventy yards from us and looking straight at us as well. The Kudu ran with great strength and health. Hendrick unleashed the tracking dog and the chase was on. She left one small speck of blood confirming that it was her yet since she seemed healthy and strong we decided to let her go and called back the dog.

After lunch we took Errens Remington 700 chambered in .375 H&H fitted with a 2.5-10x Leupold VX-7 scope to the range. I was concerned that being a bow hunter and not shooting a rifle in years that I would have to be taught how to shoot a rifle all over again. But with his great coaching we were ready within minutes and I was feeling confident with the gun and away we went.

Within minutes Hendrick spotted a herd of Black Wildebeests. The stalk was on and after crawling through thorns, sticks, rocks, etc. we were within shot range(approximately one hundred and forty yards). Errens setup the shooting sticks between the multiple trunks of the tree we were using for cover as I could rest my right arm against the tree for more stability. When a mature bull showed us his broadside and the others stepped out of the way, I began to give the trigger a nice a steady squeeze with the crosshairs right on the beats's left shoulder and with surprise the rifle fired and the animal kicked it's hind legs into the air as if it were trying to shake off an attacking lion. The entire herd of thirty plus black wildebeest erupted in a loud run that echoed through the area which started with them running in a tight circle followed by them running off into the distance carrying the rumbling sound of a stampede with them. As Errens turned around and attempted to signal Hendrick as he awaited with the vehicle, the herd disappeared while one of the beasts continued to run a tight circle and crashed into the open dirt. Kicking and trying his hardest to get back up on his feet as I watched through the scope ready to put a second round in him if he were to manage to get back up on his feet, he lifted his head two to three more times until he became still and expired. I then noticed the surge of excitement and the feeling of success.

beastdown.jpg

Black Wildebeest rifle kill 140 yds.

smilebeast.jpg

We had the animal loaded and arrived at camp in time for lunch. And by three fifteen in the afternoon we were off to hunt Errens farm. AKA Farm Kelpie.

farmkelpie.jpg

His farm was quite unique. He showed me his trophy room which showed that he also was a successful hunter.

We loaded back up onto the truck with two extra trackers, "Smiley"(because he's always smiling) and another with a name that does not translate to English, only Afrikon.

While driving through the steep terrain, we jumped a large group of Baboon which like usual, ran from us. We bailed out of the truck in a hurry and climbed up a steep pile of rocks and got setup in a hurry. Errens got me onto a large Baboon walking across a large dam at two hundred and forty two yards. I put the crosshairs right on the front of it's chest as it traveled on all fours from left to right. I began to give the trigger a nice steady squeeze. The rifle fired and gave a loud bang echoing through the small valley. When the scope settled there on the dam lay a lifeless baboon. "The rifle's not for sale Danny", said Errens with great humor. A celebrated high five from Errens and Smiley was exchanged followed by us climbing down in a hurry of excitement to go recover the fun and exciting kill.

It was a great lethal shot that made me feel extremely confident with the gun. Especially on such a small moving target at two hundred and forty yards.

baboonkill.jpg

Baboon kill. Rifle 242 yds.

We did some more driving in search of more game. Stalked in on an Oryx that caught sight of us and ran just as we were getting setup for a shot.

That night a small storm passed through with lightning causing two decent brush fires. Fortunately we were not in the path of danger yet I felt for anyone who was.

brushfire.jpg

Brushfire

To be continued......

Last edited:
Persuing plains game with Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris

Introduction
I have returned from my plains game hunting safari with Khomas Highland hunting Safaris. To say the least, I am quit happy with the outcome. Not only did I have a great time hunting, enjoying great company, eating fine food, etc. but I learned a lot, got to meet some great people, and experience another part of the world as I leave Africa with some great memories.

I will have to post what I can when I can as my travel journal is thirty pages long. Therefore, it also won't take a significant amount of time to read each post. I plan to post more details at least once a week if not more.

Before I get too deep into this report, I want to thank my Father Velodog. Not just for inviting me on the trip, but for showing me the world of hunting. I also am thankful for the memories we've created not only while raising me and teaching me how to tie my shoes but from every hunting trip to every second of laughter we've spent together.

Onto the trip
This hunt was planned for me back in February 2017 when my father invited me to join himself and long time friend Dale for a plains game hunt in Namibia. With pure excitement about the hunt, I did my best to prepare. Shooting at least twenty arrows a day all summer as well as upgrading my gear. And now, the time is here.

My beautiful and very caring wife had taken me to the airport and would see me off as I would be on the other side of the world for nearly two weeks. She kept me calm as I jumped through hoops in order to get my luggage checked in. She even upgraded my flight to business class for fear that my history of back issues would come back to haunt me.

View attachment 202306

The flight to meet up with my father and friend Dale was pleasant and uneventful. We met up at the airport in London and enjoyed a cold beer as we got caught up with each other. Right away it was a good time as we hung out in the airport lounge.

View attachment 202307

Once we arrived in Namibia, everyone's luggage was present and accounted for. Except for one thing, my bow. I was extremely upset but I managed to keep my cool in this foreign land where it seemed that no one really cared if anyone's luggage was lost. They had me fill out a lost luggage form and sent me off with the feeling of devastation.

View attachment 202311

Our main guide "Philip Hennings" met us at the airport to drive us to his "Farm Heusis". Of course we made the stop along the way to pick up some beer, wine, etc. to keep in our room. Along the way we spotted Warthog, and what looked to be a Hartebeest.

View attachment 202312 View attachment 202313

To be continued......
What was your route of travel?

Nice day you had with the gemsbok, congrats!

Congrats on the Black WB and baboon!

The difference in the stalk distance between the bow and rifle hunts is quite dramatic and while I havent done anything with a bow swince about 1962 (60lb recurve) I can apreciate the diference in stalk difficulty and the sucessful stalk satisfaction - but- having said that a sucessfull hunt with stalk and good shot from a rifle brings its own skill set that is just as satisfying, especially those at longer distance.

Great stuff, shame about your bow.

Danny, I can only hope that Black Wildebeast was the same one that kept spooking a herd of Red Hartebeast that I walked my legs off trying to get a shot at the Hartebeast in July. After I had my Hartebeast down the Black Wildebeast stood off at 100 yds looking at us, so tempting. You shot a nice one. Bringing back memories ...thanks.

Danny, I can only hope that Black Wildebeast was the same one that kept spooking a herd of Red Hartebeast that I walked my legs off trying to get a shot at the Hartebeast in July. After I had my Hartebeast down the Black Wildebeast stood off at 100 yds looking at us, so tempting. You shot a nice one. Bringing back memories ...thanks.

Thanks. I think it was him! He certainly was a noisy angry bastard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariWalsta

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross