Moving on Up to .416 Rigby, Opinions required

I have both Dakota 76s and 97s and they are both excellent rifles. However, my 416 Rigby Heym Martin Express is the best fitting and smoothest functioning rifle I have ever had. Each action/magazine is machined for the particular cartridge which is probably part of the smooth cycling but also protects the bullet noses in the magazine from battering. I also like the integral scope mounts on the receiver as they prevent the possibility of mount screw failures and with the AlaskaArms rings the scope can be easily removed and returns to zero upon reinstallation. My Heym is also shoots under 1 inch at 100 yards with everything from handloads at 30-06 energy for fun practice to full factory loads.

Thanks guys, at this point I think I am leaning towards a CZ 550 African and having a buddy of mine who is a gun builder do a custom build for me.

Have a great Christmas and may God bless your adventures in 2018

Hi there
I know it may throw a spanner in the works
But don’t discount the 416 rem mag
Ballistics are very similar has all the knock down power and I’ve used one for about 8 years now as my dangerous game rifle
I know a few phs in zim that swear by the 416 rem mag too
If you going to reload it uses a lot less powder than the 416 rigby

Regards

Hi there
I know it may throw a spanner in the works
But don’t discount the 416 rem mag
Ballistics are very similar has all the knock down power and I’ve used one for about 8 years now as my dangerous game rifle
I know a few phs in zim that swear by the 416 rem mag too
If you going to reload it uses a lot less powder than the 416 rigby

Regards

This is a very good point.

I would just like to add having done just this (move up from 375 H&H to 416 Rigby) prepare for double the recoil! But it is bloody good fun

I would just like to add having done just this (move up from 375 H&H to 416 Rigby) prepare for double the recoil! But it is bloody good fun
Thanks, I used the .416 Rigby for Buffalo in Zambia and I didn't think that there was that much of a difference in the felt recoil between it and my . 375 H&H.

I have this feeling (?) that perceived recoil is very much a matter of stock design; so go the custom built -for-you route. 99% of the rife actions made for a Rigby will shoot just fine, so give a good stockmaker some work. You'll make another good friend in the process.

Reactions: cls
I have this feeling (?) that perceived recoil is very much a matter of stock design; so go the custom built -for-you route. 99% of the rife actions made for a Rigby will shoot just fine, so give a good stockmaker some work. You'll make another good friend in the process.

Mine is a sabatti double and kicked the crap out of me. Mind you I was using the hornady factory ammo and I have heard that it’s rather stiff stuff

If you get the chance, go to the Dallas Safari Club or Safari Club International's convention(s) next month. There you will be able to see and handle many different DG rifles. You may also be able to get stock fit which in my mind would be a plus. Also check and see the magazine capacity of the rifle, some rifles carry three rounds while others carry four. In a control feed rifle thats your limit while with a push feed you can add one in the chamber.

Of the .416 Rigby rifles that I have handled I prefer the Heym, Mauser 98, Rigby, Sako 85 and then the CZ550 in that order. I own the CZ but that was all I could afford at the time. Currently I'm shooting a .416 Rem Mag out of a Blaser R8 which is a wonderful platform but not available in .416 Rigby. If you can afford the $12-14,000.00 then any of the first three mentioned above would serve you well without regret but it does lighten the pocket. Generally you do get what you pay for in DG rifles. But there are some bargains like the Sako 85, if on a budget that's the best gun for the money IMHO, Its only downside is it's a little light for recoil. Best of luck on your search for a .416 Rigby it's a great caliber.

I have a 416 Rigby in a CZ550. Great rifle. A lot of gun for the money. needed a little smoothing but that came with practicing with and shooting the rifle. I replaced the factory wood stock with a McMillan. length of pull is now 14.75" just what I need. I had the trigger lightened to 3lb, set trigger option disabled. Shoots 410 grain Woodleighs, 400 grain Bertram soft points and 400Grain Woodleigh Hydros into one group measuring between .75" and 1" at 100mts.

Interesting how big caliber rifles can shoot so well; usually because they're properly put together, ans the margin for error/variations in handloads is very tight: a 0.1 grain difference in powder out of a 90.00 + grain load is tight when compared to the same variation in a 25.00 grain load. and then different bullets of the same/similar weight make little difference. Whatever you do, hang on to that CZ.

After using a .416 Rigby to shoot my first Cape Buffalo at Mbizi in Zambia this year I have added to my "African
Addiction" by deciding I should set out on a quest to purchase a .416 Rigby of my own.
That's where you guys come in, I would like opinions on what manufacturer I should be looking at.
The .416 I used at Mbizi was a Dakota which I really liked and shot well. I do have a CZ 550 in .375 H&H which I have used in South Africa a couple of times and again it shoots well and have had zero issues with. I also have a Cooper in 300 H&H which is a sweet well made firearm. I also have a Sako A7 Roughtech in .300 Win Mag and Sako 85 Hunter and Browning BBR in 7MM Rem Mag. So you can see I am not stuck on any one manufacturer.
The only real stipulation I have is that I would like to keep the price under 10K.
So let's see those opinions on what manufacturer I should be looking into and why.
Thanks.

You might want to consider the 416 Remington magnum too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.