AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
After using a .416 Rigby to shoot my first Cape Buffalo at Mbizi in Zambia this year I have added to my "African
Addiction" by deciding I should set out on a quest to purchase a .416 Rigby of my own.
That's where you guys come in, I would like opinions on what manufacturer I should be looking at.
The .416 I used at Mbizi was a Dakota which I really liked and shot well. I do have a CZ 550 in .375 H&H which I have used in South Africa a couple of times and again it shoots well and have had zero issues with. I also have a Cooper in 300 H&H which is a sweet well made firearm. I also have a Sako A7 Roughtech in .300 Win Mag and Sako 85 Hunter and Browning BBR in 7MM Rem Mag. So you can see I am not stuck on any one manufacturer.
The only real stipulation I have is that I would like to keep the price under 10K.
So let's see those opinions on what manufacturer I should be looking into and why.
Thanks.

jacques smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Which Dakota were u shooting? The 97 could have Talley quick detach mounts with savarski low power and still stay at or a freckle under 10k. If it was model 76 ( wood) it would go over. My 97 is rapidly becoming a serious favorite of mine. Action is extremely nice. Mine is 400 HH. Not as pretty as some but neither am i

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
I have a CZ 550 in 375 then bought a 404j several years ago. Love them both. Here's a link to a 416Rigby on gunbroker https://www.gunbroker.com/item/720104304 I like it because it has the two cross bolts. You could buy it, put some nice glass on for $1k and use the rest of the money on a buffalo hunt!

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 2.00.38 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Which Dakota were u shooting? The 97 could have Talley quick detach mounts with savarski low power and still stay at or a freckle under 10k. If it was model 76 ( wood) it would go over.
It was the model 76 with the swarovski. I am partial to wood stocks.

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Here's a link to a 416Rigby on gunbroker https://www.gunbroker.com/item/720104304 I like it because it has the two cross bolts. You could buy it, put some nice glass on for $1k and use the rest of the money on a buffalo hunt!
Problem is I live north of the border, not so easy to get the firearm shipped here without a lot of red tape.

neckdeep

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI DSC DU Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, USA, Argentina
If you want to spend the coin look at the Martini Heym. I looked at the 375 but the barrel is a bit heavy for my taste's. The Rigby in that configuration is a seriously nice firearm, and since you are north of the border I bet Martini could hook you up.

Check this out, second one down, WOWEE!!

http://www.martinigunmakers.com/forsale_rifles.htm

That think is something else.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 1.11.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 1.11.39 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 170
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 1.11.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 1.11.50 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 184
Last edited:

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Problem is I live north of the border, not so easy to get the firearm shipped here without a lot of red tape.

It's not that bad really. I used it for my 416 import and it went as smoothly as anything I have ever ordered. It takes a little time but, its not that bad.

irunguns was suggested to me and I have zero complaints.
https://www.irunguns.us/product_categories.php

Reactions: cls

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
It's not that bad really. I used it for my 416 import and it went as smoothly as anything I have ever ordered. It takes a little time but, its not that bad.
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.

norfolk shooter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
How about a Rigby?

1dirthawker

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
CLS,

hmmmm, i would look hard at the cz 550. $1,000-2,000 tops. THEN, find a spectacular piece of wood, and have it custom stocked for YOUR measurements. chop the barrel, etc if needed. i just think with a nice budget like that, you could get a bullet proof, proven rifle, and have it stocked to fit you PERFECTLY, and beautifully.

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.com
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
A FULL CUSTOM CZ 550 WITH BEAUTIFUL WOOD FROM AHR WILL COST YOU ABOUT $6,000.00. PUT A SWAROVSKI 1-6X24 30MM WITH WARNE QR RINGS YOUR IN FOR AROUND $8,000.00.

tarbe

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
A FULL CUSTOM CZ 550 WITH BEAUTIFUL WOOD FROM AHR WILL COST YOU ABOUT $6,000.00. PUT A SWAROVSKI 1-6X24 30MM WITH WARNE QR RINGS YOUR IN FOR AROUND $8,000.00.

This is a good option. Or wait for a barely used one to come on the market and get it for at least $1,500 less...if you have the time and patience.

There seem to be a couple used 416 Rigby and 404J AHR rifles on the market each year.

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.com
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
AHR HAS OR HAD A BEAUTIFUL AHR IN 416 RIGBY @ $5,000.00 ADD $2,000.00 FOR THE GLASS. THEN COME BACK TO AFRICA FOR YOUR BUFF HE IS WAITING FOR YOU (SOMEWHERE)!

neckdeep

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI DSC DU Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique, USA, Argentina
I picked up my AHR #3 with very nice English for about $3000

jacques smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
CLS
The Dakota 76 is a great choice. I personally hunt in Alaska as much as I hunt in Africa so I chose 97. Sometimes I second guess my choices

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
This is a good option. Or wait for a barely used one to come on the market and get it for at least $1,500 less...if you have the time and patience.
At present I have the time to wait... although the last time I said that I found a deal here on AH and ended up in Zambia hunting cape buffalo after only 6 months of being in South Africa. Which brings me to my present situation of wanting a .416 Rigby.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
...........I found a deal here on AH ................Which brings me to my present situation of wanting a .416 Rigby.

I blame this forum for plenty of misadventures in my life too. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Piers

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.