Motorcycles

After I lost a few friends to Motorcycle accidents, I went with cars only!
Most of those accidents were the fault of car drivers and that was totally out of the control of the bike riders. One young man that worked for me was on his way to night classes at a university and was hit head on by a car despite the fact that he was in the right lane. A sad aspect of the fact that many auto drivers do not "see" bike riders.

My son tried cycles and when his was stolen (bad /stupid company} I refused to help fund another cycle but did help him to get into a compact car until he worked and saved enough to buy a real car.

Btw, the cycle thief was stopped and arrested for speeding on a stolen cycle. (more bad/stupid company that ended up in jail). At least my son had matured enough to refuse the remnants of the stolen bike and stick with his car. He now drives an Audi sport sedan and drag races at a track in his race car.

My first vehicle was a 1978 Honda Hawk 400 that I purchased in 1986. Since then I’ve had a GS650 Suzuki, 1984 Honda interceptor 1000, Kawasaki Vulcan 700, Yamaha FZR 1000 then went to dual sport with a Suzuki DR 650, then Yamaha WR250R and my current bike is a Husqvarna FE 501. It has the highest power to weight ratio of any bike I’ve ever owned and is a blast to ride.

My old "rust bucket", it's a yamaha 550 xt that has been in our family since 88, about 3 years ago I slapped a new coat of paint on it, did some repairs and got the seat fixed and it runs perfectly! I mostly use it to go and explore or just going for a easy ride some afternoons.

1668962601172.png

Rode streets for a long time and had a variety of bikes… only ride dirt these days… Suzuki DRZ400…

Wife rides a Honda CRF250…

I guess I lied on the power to weight ratio. May have to see if I can find some torque to weight ratio information instead.

The 1988 FZR 1000 had 135 hp and weighed just under 500 lbs.

The FE 501 only has 45 hp and weighs just over 250 lbs.

The FE 501 sure has a hard time keeping its front wheel on the ground when you give it throttle though.

8D0755C5-0591-44B3-A4FF-A92B1FE99EEE.jpeg

Been riding bikes since I was 8. Started on a Honda xr80. Had a Harley for a few years but after a couple close calls on the road my wife convinced me to get rid of it. So I stick to the dirt now. Currently own a KTM 350 xcf which is fun as hell but if I’m being honest probably more bike than what I need, for what I do on it.

My son started riding a Honda xr50 last year when he was 6. I told him once he could ride a bicycle without training wheels well, I would get him a motorcycle. My little girl who is 2 and half is already asking for one now lol. Here’s a pic of my boy.

A386ACC5-397B-4E03-8E34-3ADB9B31C885.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know where I can get a Honda Trail 70 on the cheap?

My 56-year old brother would become 10 again, if I rolled that into the room on Christmas!

My mother was afraid that my brother and I would get killed for sure if we had one growing up. I bought my first Big Monster 125 when I was 50!

I grew up on Honda dirt bikes like the CR80 and CR125. Graduated to liberating my Mother's '76 Honda CB360T as a teenager. Even managed to sneak a few rides on my Father's '86 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R...that bike just about killed me. My 20's and 30's saw 3 different Harley's in the garage...none of them I really liked.

Then I found the BMW motorcycles. Here's myself and Mrs BeeMaa going down the beltway at 70 while a friend snapped a picture. It a 2008 R1200RT... The picture was later featured in the Aerostich catalog because we are wearing their suits. This also happens to be the origin of my screen name.
1669078224205.png

Next was a 2006 R1200GSA Sidecar that I sold this past August. Great for camping but a real workout to pilot that rig.
1669078512491.png

Currently only one bike in the stable, a 2010 R1200GSA. Ridden so little the past few years, I'll be putting it on the market come Spring. Must be concentrating too much on hunting...:ROFLMAO:
1669078681666.png

I wish I had your mechanical skills, absolutely love this version of that bike. Having said that, I know this may be sacrilege to say, but that particular incarnation with a Harley pan head and perhaps a little wider tire, that would’ve really been something.

I wish I had your mechanical skills, absolutely love this version of that bike. Having said that, I know this may be sacrilege to say, but that particular incarnation with a Harley pan head and perhaps a little wider tire, that would’ve really been something.
To be honest I built the frame from the measurements of my friends pan head chopper but I was solo parent and cost was a factor and when I was offered the hot BSA motor for a couple hundred NZ$ compared to the many thousands for an HD power plant I had to make the decision to keep finance available for the childrens needs. I had been through a 2 year custody battle in australia and getting them home to NZ was expensive and took all my savings and created "some" debt as well so choices were made.

Apologies about the previous picture that I posted. It was supposed to show the sidecar rig...but really didn't. Here it is on the same trip pictured above, on our way to ride the "Tail of the Dragon" US129 on the NC/TN border.
1669165758070.png

Last edited:
I used to live less than 15 miles from the dragon… excellent ride!

Apologies about the previous picture that I posted. It was supposed to show the sidecar rig...but really didn't. Here it is on the same trip pictured above, on our way to ride the "Tail of the Dragon" US129 on the NC/TN border.
View attachment 501669
Fun ride , I actually preferred the cheraholla route, a lot less yahoos on crotch rockets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!