Motorcycles

I hear you on the stupidity but is was a front wheel lockup going in to a corner at 70mph that had me sliding. I managed to keep it shiny side up for long enough to make the final slide reasonably pain free but still had damage to the bike.
View attachment 502240
Yup, the front end going on some of that shiny black tar stuff they use for road repairs did it for me.

About 40mph, so painful but not terrible. I'm very glad the van behind me stopped before steamrolling me though, that could have been fairly terminal.

Yup, the front end going on some of that shiny black tar stuff they use for road repairs did it for me.

About 40mph, so painful but not terrible. I'm very glad the van behind me stopped before steamrolling me though, that could have been fairly terminal.
For me it on the shakedown ride (before any finishing was done) when the front guard vibrated through the fixing point and sat down on the tire where the rub and heat caused the front wheel to lock up and why I went without a front guard from then on after I repared the damage .
20221126_175446.jpg

I heartily dislike the stock bars on my 05 FXD as the pullback is too severe for comfort and twists my hands too far for the longer rides so I intended to change them for an easier pullback. I could not find a set of low apes with the desired easy pullback so would have to go with another approach with the proviso being that I wanted to retain the stock speedo and as it is incorporated into the top clamp this would bring its own complications.
1.jpg

After some consideration I had a local engineer make a bar to except risers outside of the stock top clamp. I bought a set of 6 inch pullback risers off trademe and an alloy top clamp from aliexpress and cut that to suit the individual top clamps for the risers.

2.jpg

With this in hand, I contacted the Handle bar company in Nelson and while they were quick to aggree to make a set of drag bars to my design and take payment up front there was no result with failure to return calls or texts so sucked the loss and looked elsewhere. I contacted Hammerdown who were also agreeable to making them for me to the pattern I sent which was simply an 800 long bar with 15degree pullbacks 250 in from each end. Nothing complicated at all but a few days later they got back to me saying it would be a MINIMUM of $850 so flagged them as well.
I eventually contacted Barcraft in Australia and ordered a set of stainless 15* pullback drag bars that I would only have to alter a bit to suit my purposes. Fantastic service and the bar arrived within 5 days although they would have to be cut to allow for the bend outside of the wider set risers. They have an 8 inch bend to bend and I will need 10 3/4 so when I was in the city yesterday I called in to the scrap yard and picked up 2 short lengths of stainless tube. I will have to turn the outer tube down from ita present 1.050 to the 1.010 which is essentially just a heavy polish with the innter tube being quite thick walled so will have plenty to turn down to nipple inside the ends to make the 3 pieces into one bar.

3.jpg

This all took a bit less time (although not less effort) than I thought it might be so they are together in one piece again and ready to be installed but may have to nip an inch off each end of the bars to bring them back to the desired length. It may be a week or two before I can get them on the bike as I have a few knife orders to get done.
First chore was to cut a couple of pieces for the nipples and turn them to fit in the tube ends after grinding the internal seam.
Measuring between the risers at the clamp face I cut a length of the inch SS tube for a test fit and then turned it down to size, sanded through the grits to 1500 before getting to the auto sol and then the buffer.

20221221_152436.jpg

A bit later it was all clamped, epoxied and pinned together with the pins out of sight and a final polishing buff.

20221221_153228.jpg

All together with the only thing left to do is remove the bolts through to the risers and locktight them and with a bit of silicone in the top of the recesses to water proof that joint.

20221221_160716.jpg

Will be a couple of weeks till I can get them mounted but looking forward to a more comfortable hand position on our rides.

my wife and I have been riding for years. 1970 ish She rode a Honda 350 to school. And competed in Trials as a kid.

It would take a while to list all the styles, brands and models her and I have owned.

I’ve built some customs along the way. 3 flat trackers, and road bikes

We’ve owned Europeans, Japanese, Harley’s since ‘79 and now Indians she a Scout Bobber and I a Darkhorse Cheiftain

Sold my last dirt bike about 5 years ago

My last remaining motorcycle dream is to ride in Spain and Italy and attend the Isle of Man race

I’ve owned three HD’s and three BMW’s (one had a sidecar) along with multiple Honda dirt bikes in my youth. I still have a 2010 GSA that unfortunately sits more than it’s ridden. Probably going to sell it this year. :cautious:

It would be the first time I haven’t owned a bike in over 40 years.

BeeMaa, I had a KTM Super Duke with a custom exhaust and air intake that made about 180 hp and weighed approximately 400 pounds. Went for a ride with a friend at work who showed up with a BMW RR something and he caught me off guard with how fast that thing was. He had small fiberglass bags on it so it was kind of a sleeper till I read up on it.
I had far more torque, but his had better technology. Mine had three modes of traction control, and I think he had something like 11.

A great street battle of Austrian versus German engineering

I've ridden dirt bikes and street bikes since I was 12. This is the last one, custom chopper I had built. It won Outstanding Paint at the 2003 Houston AutoRama.

DSC_0166.JPG

Kawasaki H1 (500cc two stroke triple). Long since passed over that greasy rainbow bridge. Rest in ring-a-ding dings.

I collect 50s and 60s Italian small displacement motorcycles, ride in many rallys etc. Also keep some motorbikes in Kenya and Rwanda for running around in Africa

View attachment 502246
Very cool!
I see a Parilla there. I had a 250cc Wildcat for a while but never ran it.
Now, I have some small race bikes - Honda RS125s, an Aprilia RSR125 which ran in the World Championship in the late ‘90s, a Honda RS250 and some other bigger bikes. Nothing crazy though.
I’d like to take a tour of your collection!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you