Mannlicher Full Length Stock. Any Real Purpose?

3 rifles with Mannlicher full stock: Rem 7 MS in 7mm-08, Docter 8x56 aspherical,
Mannlicher Schoenauer Mod NO 7x57 with Kahles 6x42 and the only one Mannlicher Schoenauer
M 1903 ( 6,5x54 MS), claw mount, 4x32 Kahles.
21861816gt.jpg

21861817vc.jpg

21861818hq.jpg

Mannlicher

Attachments

• 21861818hq.jpg
    21861818hq.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,288
  • 21861817vc.jpg
    21861817vc.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 3,244
  • 21861816gt.jpg
    21861816gt.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,774
Last edited by a moderator:
I glad someone brought this post back to life, My Latest and probably my greatest find a real sleeper, built in the 50-60s? by Heym in West Germany for Montgomery Wards with a 21" barrel the workmanship and quality for a rifle that probably sold for 60.00 back then is outstanding these guys are fetching in the 1000.00 range nowdays if you can find one
DSC00401.jpg
DSC00407.jpg
DSC00399.jpg

Last edited:
I have presumed the old bolt action military rifles had full length or nearly full length stocks to protect the soldier's hands from burns due to sustained firing causing very hot barrels.
And, I've presumed the Euro-Sporting/Hunting rifles with full length stocks were to protect the hunter's hands from touching the cold steel barrel in alpine conditions.
Orberndorf once turned out a hunting rifle that they called their "Africa Model" which had a very long forend but not quite to the muzzle.
I presume it was to protect the hunter's hands from a hot barrel in the Namibian and/or Tanzanian hot sun as both those countries once were German Colonies ("German South West Afrika" and "German East Afrika").
Same thoughts on the Mannlicher-Schoenauer and similar sporting rifles with full length stocks.
Mine are all just uneducated guesses though.

Last edited:
Actually, the germans had 4 colonies in Africa up to 1918..

Togo, Kamerun, Deutsches Süd West Afrika and Deutsch-Ostafrika (Tanganyika)..

I have handeled Oberndorf "Afrika" rifles and the full stock MS versions, both 1903 carbines and a full length Mod. 1910 in 9,5x57mm..a real oddball..

I concurr with Velo here....but perhaps there is/was also an esthetic preference by the Austrian/German hunters...anyway a short handy carbine like rifle is handy in mountainous terrain..

I joined AH just yesterday. I am afraid I am late in answering the question about the Mannlicher stock.
To the best of my knowledge that stock was originally designed for mounted troops expected carry the rifle slung on their back even while riding. These soldiers, belonging to light field artillery or gendarmerie were expected to dismount quickly and armed and couldn't have the rifle in a saddle scabbard.
The Mannlicher stock doesn't protect the feeble hand from a overheated barrel (this is the job of the barrel cover), but prevents the entrance od small branches, leaves a.s.o. between barrel and stock while riding (with the rifle slung) or sitting on the caissons in forested areas. For the same reason the Mannlicher stock was (and is still now) highly appreciated by dog handlers, looking for wounded game in the undergrowth.
Some Continental companies produce top lever single shot rifles with full stock.
In the German speaking area the Mannlicher style rifle is named "stutzen", word that literally means "heavy sock", maybe due to the fact that the rifle, carried muzzle down, resembles a leg covered with a woollen stock.

Thanks Pondoro and ofbiro,

I learn something new every day, wether I want to or not.

Anyone have ideas where the British SMLE No 1, MK III (full stock .303 bolt action of many conflicts in history) fits into the original "Any Real Purpose?" question regarding full length stocks?
(I pray that I have my "MK" designator correct on this one).

My original guess of protecting the soldier's hands from a hot barrel, due to sustained firing in combat, is still my uneducated best guess, because England (and other countries) made far too many of these to have intended them for their proportionately very few mounted troops, riding horses through low hanging tree branches.

And this guess pretty much applies to all vintage military bolt actions from around the world that used either full length wooden stock (Argentine Engineer's Carbine, aforementioned SMLE and etc, etc.), plus those with nearly full length wooden stocks, such as the 1903 U.S. Springfield, Mauser 98K, Patterns 14 / 17 Enfield, and so forth.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
As Velo notes, essentially all military rifles and carbines had full length stocks until WWII - and most through that conflict as well. Hence, I am not sure artillery or cavalry carbines stocks had any more influence on the mannlicher hunting stutzen than the full size infantry rifle stock had on the post-war hunting rifle.

If you look at a late 18th (flintlock) thru early 19th century (percussion) German or Austrian hunting rifle, it is only a very short step stylistically to the late 19th early 20th century full stock carbine. I really believe it is no more complicated than that.

PeterG I hope you find it and bring her home to the family!

My guns are part of my family! I just can't part with them as a rule! I did sell a Savage 7mm one time to a friend that needed a new rifle. I regret that sale now. The safe is full at this point so any additional purchases will require buying a new bigger safe.

Well...I too have no clue as to the reason. I also thought they have been more of a remnant of military full stocks (I thought those were needed for cleaning rod and bayonet mounts where the mounts were not part of the barrel). I too feel they have no real purpose but looks. I don't think wood protects steel against rocks. It should be the other way around. Shouldn't it? I also think they do affect the harmonics of the barrel as most end up touching somewhere. Usually at the tip and/or somewhere in the middle if the sling swivel is attached to the barrel through the stock. Some are also so slim, that any pressure on them really does make the forend move closer to the barrel and even touch. So based on this this they must be bad, right? I like to have my barrel free floating but on full stock rifles I just don't care. They look good. I even have one Brno Z with full length (24" barrel) but in general I just love the carbines with their short barrels and full stocks. They do handle nicely due to their length and they are nice to handle due to all that wood.

My son Willy using my 30 year old Steyr Mannlicher Luxus fullstock in 30-06 topped with a Zeiss 2,5-10x50 for most game, easy to carry and nice balance, shooting extremely tight groups, I'm always surprised how well that rifle is build and perform...

willy.JPG

My son Willy using my 30 year old Steyr Mannlicher Luxus fullstock in 30-06 topped with a Zeiss 2,5-10x50 for most game, easy to carry and nice balance, shooting extremely tight groups, I'm always surprised how well that rifle is build and perform...

View attachment 56922
Thats a great Pic, my CZ Mannlicher is extremely accurate, I only notice that the groups tend to drop after a pretty warm barrel, something that for the most part doesn't happen when hunting, my Westernfield /Heym barrel is floated and only touchs at the barrel tip

Darn you gents are giving me too many ideas. I went to the storage room and dug through the pattern stocks and found this thing. It is a 1960's vintage Herters stock. The dark area of the butt is where a lace up leather pad was left on the stock.

Anyway I brought it out with the thought of using it as a pattern for a future rifle build. Yep, it fits a 98 Mauser.

It has a nice cheek piece but it does not show well in the photo.

ry%3D400

Attachments

• ry=400.jpeg
    ry=400.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 333
sounds like there may be some future business for Mannlicher stock lovers

sounds like there may be some future business for Mannlicher stock lovers

Better Photos. The standard stock is the one I received today, discussed it in my 9.3x62 post. I will splice on a Schnabel and use it to make a pattern for future duplication .
e.jpg
ry=400 w.jpg
ry=400.jpg

I was asked to mannlicher up a sako a while back. African blackwood accents. That is quite a length of barrel channel to inlet by hand even at the 20 inch length it was to be cuat back to.

After the barrel was trimmed back to 20 inches

Attachments

• Photo2247_zps7jylxvoq.jpg
    Photo2247_zps7jylxvoq.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 341
  • Photo2313_zpstromu8me.png
    Photo2313_zpstromu8me.png
    395.1 KB · Views: 444
  • Photo2314_zpspmt2hp34.png
    Photo2314_zpspmt2hp34.png
    343.6 KB · Views: 449
  • 41084d1443759382-mannlicher-stock-project-image_zps0utz4r7r.jpg
    41084d1443759382-mannlicher-stock-project-image_zps0utz4r7r.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,826
  • Photo2292_zpsjzbha4fs.jpg
    Photo2292_zpsjzbha4fs.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 307
I was asked to mannlicher up a sako a while back. African blackwood accents. That is quite a length of barrel channel to inlet by hand even at the 20 inch length it was to be cuat back to.

After the barrel was trimmed back to 20 inches

I like the wood.

Will the rifle be fitted with the Sako Peep? I have one that came with my L61 in 270. Interesting peep and it is shielded from damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg