Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I still see a lot of trophy pictures posted here at times that show a rifle with a closed bolt, often cocked, with the muzzle pointed in the general direction of someone's face.
We have all done this, I too am guilty, but over the course of my last 5 trips over I have tried to ensure that trophy shots are taken with rifles with open bolts, and pointed away from participants.
After all the danger is over if you are posing next to the late critter.
Not trying to be preachy here, but safety conscious. And also for appearances sake, I often find myself first thinking, geez, look where that rifle is pointing. Now if you go and look at my pix here you will find me having done the same, "I plead guilty to that".
But its something to think about when next getting ready for those shots we all enjoy so much. Open that action.
Carry on!

These are the ones that really scare the hell out of me...
These are screen shots from one video. This was totally at random from youtube. Don't know the guys, don't care. Nothing personal.

When are you most distracted?
When are you most excited?
When are you likely tired?

Follow Up / Approach

Reloading after the initial shot.
The number of times the muzzle of the rifle crosses the backs of the guys in front is terrifying.
Tracker, PH, etc.

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 19.49.10.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 19.49.40.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 19.50.29.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 19.51.42.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 19.51.52.png

I know what you mean Scott! I was looking through some of my pictures the other day and saw the same thing. I knew the rifle was clear but it damn sure makes you think. I have made a habit out of verifying and announcing clear to my PH or whomever I am hunting with before mounting a vehicle or setting an unattended rifle down and have my boys in the same habit.
Good thread, we can all use this!
Cheers,
Cody

We have all done it. Hardly a day goes by that I don't see at least one trophy shot here with a rifle muzzle sticking in someone's ear.:eek:

One of my favorites is fortunately not seen as much these days as it used to be.
However I have seen it once in a photograph, within the past season here where I live.
It’s when a hunter is shown standing upright, with the butt of his vertical rifle on the ground and one or both palms on top of the muzzle.
Such fellows always look so casual, as if the’re resting with their hands on nothing more significant than a fence post or a rake handle.

Last edited:
In some shooting sports, people are pretty well conditioned for muzzle and trigger finger discipline. IPSC/USPSA type competitions, for example. Some tell me that they are scared of being at a shooting range with some hunters, after seeing them handling rifles at the shooting stand while there's people at the targets, or even pointing firearms at people.

I took a young man hunting many years ago.
Walking side by side and next thing his 22/250 fired and I felt a thud in my chest.
He was playing with the trigger! Not only that but the rifle had a live round in the breech and no safety on.
The bullet struck the very hard ground and the thud I felt was actually clay hitting me!
Guess what I was thinking at that moment ????
Believe me I have been even more safety conscious.

My trophy photos are always with a closed bolt.
I left it open once and as I was pulling grass up to clear it for the photo a bloody great load of sand and dust flicked up and as Sod's Law dictates it flew straight into my open breech and magazine.

Therefore I always keep the bolt closed but I make damn sure that I unload, clear the chamber and close the bolt on an empty rifle in front of anyone I'm with so there can be absolutely no doubt about it.

I also make a show of checking my rifle and showing it unloaded before mounting a vehicle or replacing it back in my case.

When following anyone the rifle is either over my shoulder or if a crouch is needed the rifle is pointed to the side or behind me if no one else is there.

It's really easy to get excited, especially for a new hunter or in the heat of the moment but safety drills are more important than anything else.

It's rare that I go to the range and don't have to remind someone to open the bolt before people go down range. Carelessness seems to be in about ten percent of hunters and shooters, ten percent too high.

I too have taken pictures with the bolt closed but I am in the habitat of putting the safety on once I am done shooting, not an excuse by any means but your point is well taken Scott.

Nowadays I take my trophy pictures without the rifle, and will only chamber a round just before taking the shot.

One of my other pet peeves is the once a year hunter sight in crowd shooters, who have a nasty habit of opening their hard side rifle cases while it lies sideways on the bench. Which means its muzzle is pointing at someone on the line. I have barked at more than a few guys for that. It's something most don't even think about. In their mind the rifle is not loaded so no danger right? In my mind no gun is not loaded, they all are.

Try working in a gun store you would be surprised at how many nitwits come in to sell or have someone look at that are loaded .Icant tell you how many times this has happened to me.

Try working in a gun store you would be surprised at how many nitwits come in to sell or have someone look at that are loaded .Icant tell you how many times this has happened to me.

Co-worker of mine bought a percussion muzzleloader out of the bargain barrel in a local gun shop and promptly went home and put a cap on it and pulled the trigger. Fortunately it was pointing up and the ball wound up in the attic rafters. I guess you'd call this double stupid. Yes, like computers, autos, rotating machinery and power tools, some people should be kept as far away from firearms as possible.

One of my favorites is fortunately not seen as much these days as it used to be.
However I have seen it once in a photograph, within the past season here where I live.
It’s when a hunter is shown standing upright, with the butt of his vertical rifle on the ground and one or both palms on top of the muzzle.
Such fellows always look so casual, as if the’re resting with their hands on nothing more significant than a fence post or a rake handle.

iu

Attachments

• iu.jpg
    iu.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 132
Co-worker of mine bought a percussion muzzleloader out of the bargain barrel in a local gun shop and promptly went home and put a cap on it and pulled the trigger. Fortunately it was pointing up and the ball wound up in the attic rafters. I guess you'd call this double stupid. Yes, like computers, autos, rotating machinery and power tools, some people should be kept as far away from firearms as possible.

Agreed here 100%

You’re kidding? I hope!!

I noticed a picture I posted while quail hunting at Gizmo’s. It appeared my barrel was pointing directly at Justin’s head. I should not have posted it even though I know I was several paces ahead of Justin. Still it looked very inappropriate to me. I’m sure you guys were a bit shocked as well.
Sorry!

You’re kidding? I hope!!
The gun store I frequent has a large glass jar on the counter with live rounds from people bringing in firearms that that were sure were unloaded

I noticed a picture I posted while quail hunting at Gizmo’s. It appeared my barrel was pointing directly at Justin’s head. I should not have posted it even though I know I was several paces ahead of Justin. Still it looked very inappropriate to me. I’m sure you guys were a bit shocked as well.
Sorry!

Well we can all learn from our mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg