Just ordered my 9.3x62

At some point, yep. The eyes aren't what they used to be, but I know how to shoot iron sights. My best friend is 2 years older and always complains "I can't see the target very well anymore."

"Dude, if you're focusing on the target, you're doing it wrong."

Down here where I hunt, iron sights are more than plenty considering the rest of the rifles in my cabinet. Gonna move to MT at some point in the next 3 years or so. Will definitely want some glass to hunt elk and mulies. At elk altitudes, the old nine-three still has the juice for elk out to a quarter mile.

Maybe. I'd take a careful, well supported shot pushing 300 yards with one of mine but not 400+. At a game animal with a price tag, I wouldn't try 200 with an aperture. And I have spent a lot of time around irons as well. But the 9.3 does make a wonderful under 200 yard rifle as well. I know you will enjoy it.

Digging up old stuff here but...

Talk me out of or into this rifle, 9.3x62 Zastava with a LH action.
I am seriously going to pull the trigger so to speak when the lockdown is over.

Digging up old stuff here but...

Talk me out of or into this rifle, 9.3x62 Zastava with a LH action.
I am seriously going to pull the trigger so to speak when the lockdown is over.

I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for one of these in LH. From what I’ve read they are dependable rifles that respond very well to some attention. 5 round magazine capacity if I remember correctly.

Gentleman, I am sure I will be extremely to be able to upload photos of a beautiful original Mauser 9.3 x 62 in the near future....it seems I will be in great company members...(y):LOL:

Superb caliber. If I'd discovered it before I owned a 375H&H I doubt I'd own a 375H&H. That's not a knock on 375H&H but the two calibers are so similar in performance it's a coin toss. One day, maybe, if I'm fortunate I'll have the opportunity to hunt Cape Buffalo and if I do I'll be taking my 375H&H. For everything else on the planet smaller than a Cape Buffalo 9.3x62 would be my choice. I own three rifles chambered in 9.3x62: CZ550, Ruger Hawkeye and Ruger #1. I'm a big fan.

Superb caliber. If I'd discovered it before I owned a 375H&H I doubt I'd own a 375H&H. That's not a knock on 375H&H but the two calibers are so similar in performance it's a coin toss. One day, maybe, if I'm fortunate I'll have the opportunity to hunt Cape Buffalo and if I do I'll be taking my 375H&H. For everything else on the planet smaller than a Cape Buffalo 9.3x62 would be my choice. I own three rifles chambered in 9.3x62: CZ550, Ruger Hawkeye and Ruger #1. I'm a big fan.

Bonk, here is a solution to our "9.3 x 62 caliber designation unsuitable/not qualify for Dangerous game in Africa" instead of buying a 9.3 x 62 cal hunting rifle I will be building for myself naturally a 9.3 x 70 cal Magnum version for hunting Dangerous game...here is a written description of this caliber ....then nobody can argue it not to be qualifying for Dangerous Game hunts..I am currently looking to see if there are available re-loading dies, and reamers. for the 9.3 x 70 caliber ..if so, I will order the reloading /reamer components early next year to commence the build after I completed my 8x68 S and 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser build...(y)(y)(y):LOL: Same challenge, I build my first rifle on the .375 H&H Magnum caliber with my friend and mentor Johan Greyling`s assistance ....

Attachments

• 9.3 X 70 MAGNUM _ Cartridgecollector.net.pdf
    144.5 KB · Views: 247
Info on the 9.3 x 70 caliber German designed
9.3 X 70 MAGNUM
Assumed to be designed by Brenneke (although unconfirmed) and introduced by DWM in 1928 as a competitor to the British 375 H&H cartridge and based on the 10.75x73 (404 Jeffery) case. The original DWM 569 cartridges are exceedingly rare. The specimen below is a proof loading with rim notch. During the early years of the 20th century there was a mini "sporting arms race" between the British and the Germans in Africa, as both had a fairly large presence in East Africa and both competing for the growing big game safari industry in Africa. The British prided themselves in their high quality double rifles, while the Germans had their drillings, which were not a huge success in Africa, but they competed by way of the very high quality Mauser bolt action rifle. The German workhorse was the 9.3x62 but, although a very good cartridge was still considered under powered for Africa where an outfitter might need a single rifle for plains game but also to provide protection to a client should the situation arise. The 9.3x70 Magnum was the only larger powered cartridge that was produced out of a batch of German experimental calibers based on the 404 Jeffery in an attempt to create a rifle to fulfill that role. Herman Goering owned a rifle in this caliber that was made by Berlin gunsmith Ludwig Schiwy. The 9.3x70 Magnum suffered the same fate as most other German sporting cartridges at the start of WW2.

9.3%20X%2070%20MAGNUM%20DWM.jpg
9.3%20X%2070%20MAGNUM%20DWM%20FULL.jpg

9.3X70%20MAG.jpg
9.3X70%20MAG%20FULL.jpg

The bottom specimen is a modern manufactured cartridge by Horneber for Reimer Johanssen GmbH Germany

Attachments

• 9.3 X 70 MAGNUM DWM.jpg
    9.3 X 70 MAGNUM DWM.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 9.3 X 70 MAGNUM DWM FULL.jpg
    9.3 X 70 MAGNUM DWM FULL.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 9.3X70 MAG.jpg
    9.3X70 MAG.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 72
  • 9.3X70 MAG FULL.jpg
    9.3X70 MAG FULL.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 78
Members, here is a nice project we can discuss..what if I use the 404 Jeffery case as is and just neck it down..building a 9.3 x 73 mm caliber ???Especially since I already have a 404 Jeffery??? I would like your opinions on this one???? Then we will have a 9.3 x 73 Magnum JS Gunsmith caliber ???

I think that unless you are particularly fond of the historical side of the 9.3x70 Magnum, it would probably be "better" to with a .404/.375. That would make it legal for everything in most countries. The 9.3 calibre is just below that line. Or if you do not care about that aspect, then why not go even lower, say necking down to .358, or even .338. The latter will perhaps be too close to a .333 Jeffery, depending on how you would form the case.

Another alternative would be the 400 Tembo, which is a 404 necked down to .400. Don't remember if it is also shortened a bit. It was a wildcat developed in the 90's I believe by some experienced people, but not much has been heard since. But as you already have a 404, then it might be getting too close to that one.

Oh... all the possibilities... :)

The 9.3 x 74 R I believe is a double rifle unit???And there is not a larger 9.3 caliber in a bolt action????

Stick with the better bullets in 375.
9.3 bullets are softer on purpose.

The 9.3 x 74 R I believe is a double rifle unit???And there is not a larger 9.3 caliber in a bolt action????

I think the 9.3x64 is a bit more powerful than the x74R. The x74R is obviously not for bolt actions, so the cartridge is larger to keep pressure down.

A 505 Gibbs necked down to 9.3 would be very powerful :) :)

Stick with the better bullets in 375.
9.3 bullets are softer on purpose.

I don’t believe that is true. I have Swift AFrames in both calibers and construction looms identical. Terminal performance on buffalo in my limited experience was as well.

Swift A-Frame is the exception in all calibers.
From that I see the majority of bullets in 9.3 are designed to work at slower speeds.

Oryx, Woodleigh, Swift will do ok driven hard. There are more strong bullets in 375 than 366.

I believe that there can certainly be differences, could be jacket thickness in the nose, the lead alloy used etc. Most 9.3 calibre cartridges are not really that fast, hence the bullet manufacturers design the bullets for the best terminal performance at the probable impact velocity. Generally, for 9.3, that would make them a bit softer than for .375.

We are still on the 9.3 caliber discussion memebrs ,yes???? Good for the 9.3 caliber die -hard members...Something interesting for sure...it seems that any caliber design we, with all the new technology in the world means nothing since every caliber ever thought of has already being documented and build ...:LOL::LOL:(y)
Here is information about the Herman Goring`s double square bridge magnum Mauser action coined in the 9.3 x 73 caliber ( 404 Jeffery/10.75 x 73 cal German design) length..rifle build for him by a German gunsmith...

HERMANN GORING’S DOUBLE SQUARE BRIDGE MAGNUM MAUSER SPORTING RIFLE WITH SCOPE.
SN 7076. Cal. 9.3 x 73 mm. (.366 Bore diameter. .540 Case rim diameter. Essentially .404 Jeffery necked down to 9.3, similar to 9.5 x 73 Miller – Greiss magnum.) The history of this fine rifle can be traced back directly to Hermann Goring’s vacation house near the Berghof near Berchtesgaden, where it was liberated by Lt. Col. Richard A. King, and subsequently acquired by Lester Womack, and pictured in his book, THE COMMERCIAL MAUSER ’98 SPORTING RIFLE; and later in Jon Speed’s MAUSER ORIGINAL OBERNDORF SPORTING RIFLES. It has 28-1/2″ tapered round bbl engraved (Ludwig) “Schiwy – BERLIN” on top. Bbl is mounted with island bases for front scope claw base, single standing rear sight, and front ramp for silver bead. A sling loop is soldered to bottom of bbl. Rare commercial Mauser, magnum length, solid sidewall, double square action, with anti wobble projection at rear, is marked with SN and eagle “N” proof on left side of receiver ring, and with “MAUSER – WERKE A. G. OBERNDORF a/N” on sidewall. A claw base has been fitted to the cut down square bridge. Bolt with classic pear-shaped knob, is stamped with SN on bolt root, and “N”. Bolt shroud has been fitted with Buhler low scope safety. Drop box bottom metal has hinged floorplate retained by release button in trigger guard bow, and has been fitted with double triggers. Trigger guard and floorplate have triangles of nicely cut, shaded, scrolled acanthus above and below central relief engraving of Hermann Goring’s personal crest, a shield around raised mailed fist holding aloft a ring. This shield is surmounted by a knight’s helm, which is further surmounted by another winged mailed fist with ring. Action also features a Greener type side safety. Nicely marbled European walnut horn capped pistol grip stock with borderless point pattern checkering at grip, and no checkering on forend, has inlet ebony triangle behind receiver tang, and square dark walnut block inlet where bolt handle turns down. Stock is fitted with leather faced Silver pad, and spring-loaded, pop-up, shadow line cheekpiece to allow for scope use, having release button and guide spur hole in ovate engraved escutcheon behind grip. There are also two very interesting fold-out spikes mounted in stock under front scope base which can be hooked into a handy tree or fencepost to steady rifle. Sling loop on toe line, matching that on bbl, are fitted with brown leather green rubber backed carrying sling. Carl Zeiss Zielsechs scope with duplex three post reticle with central dot is mounted in soldered on claw rings. Drop at heel: approx 2-3/4″. Drop at comb: approx 1-3/4″. Weight without scope: 9 lbs. 8 oz. LOP: 14-1/4″. PROVENANCE: Cowan’s auction listing with more complete history. CONDITION: Excellent. Bbl and action retain approx 90% orig blue, silvering from normal wear on high points. Stock retains most of its orig oil finish with a number of light marks and scrapes. Bore is excellent, bright, shiny, with sharp rifling throughout. Action is smooth. Scope retains 85 – 90% of its blue, optics clear. Sling is fine. 4-51042 MGM259 (20,000-30,000)

Reactions: AJS

Attachments

• 1..pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 178
  • HERMANN GORING’S DOUBLE SQUARE BRIDGE MAGNUM MAUSER SPORTING RIFLE WITH SCOPE_.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 252
  • Screenshot (680).png
    Screenshot (680).png
    296.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot (681).png
    Screenshot (681).png
    317.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot (682).png
    Screenshot (682).png
    192.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot (683).png
    Screenshot (683).png
    219.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot (684).png
    Screenshot (684).png
    181.2 KB · Views: 76

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg