Just ordered my 9.3x62

I use Norma Oryx, Sellier&Bellot SP, Remington PSP, Prvi SP. Of those I think the Norma is best, especially for tougher animals. The Remington and S&B did great on whitetail once I figured out I need to hit bone first. Otherwise they just fly through the animal. Prvi I shoot on paper but would not hesitate to use on deer/elk/moose. I do like the round nose SP of S&B on deer so imagine Prvi would perform similarly.

Brass I can only guess based on other calibers and would imagine Lapua being the best (most consistent) and hardest, Norma next, then Winchester and then anything else with Hornady and S&B brass being pretty soft.

Great calibre choice in a good strong Mauser action. You may need to work the action sitting in front of the TV. They are a bit rough. I love the trigger on my Zastava 7x64.

PRVI brass is OK. I think you'll find the lead tips on the PRVI bullets quite soft and deform easy. I used PRVI to start but then bought a bunch of Lapua Mega SP 285gr bullets.

8x68, I like all the calibers, but my favorites with which I hunt are: .275Rigby, 9,3x62, 375H&H and 404Jeffery.
I use ZKK600 in. 275Rigby, ZG47in 9,3x62 , Mausers M98 in 375H&H and 404Jeffery.
All the best .
Witold

8x68, I like all the calibers, but my favorites with which I hunt are: .275Rigby, 9,3x62, 375H&H and 404Jeffery.
I use ZKK600 in. 275Rigby, ZG47in 9,3x62 , Mausers M98 in 375H&H and 404Jeffery.
All the best .
Witold
Mine too, but you forgot the 8x68S!
Just found myself a ZG 47 in 7x57. Doesn't have the Schnabel fore end but a BRNO style forearm.

Ist group with PRVI. CZ 550
20170923_092646.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You lefties need to PM @Albert GRANT who has a LH 375 H&H and a 404 Jeff for sale.

sgt zim,

only thing wrong with that rifle, is the bolt handle is on the wrong side!:ROFLMAO:

Great choice in medium bore! My personal preference is to maintain the original factory ballistics of an old round if practicable. It worked great with a 286 grain cup 'n core bullet at 2,200 fps. So in my estimation, it should work even BETTER with a 286 - 300 grain bonded or premium bullet at those speeds. With modern powder, you can accomplish that easily and not strain your gun even in the hottest weather on the planet!

I have only used PRIVI bullets in my .308. Have found them to be excellent. As in reliable expansion and very strong.

If you are intending to use this rifle as a general purpose weapon (i.e. general thin skinned game) then you should also look at using 250gr monometals like Barnes or Hornady's Gmax. I haven't tried this yet but reports from people who have are good.

If you are intending to use this rifle as a general purpose weapon (i.e. general thin skinned game) then you should also look at using 250gr monometals like Barnes or Hornady's Gmax. I haven't tried this yet but reports from people who have are good.

FINALLY got out to the range with it. Two different load sets, all with Hornady 286 SP RP.

With Varget, my best group was with 57gr, avg vel of 2319, a bit north of what Hornady shows even at their max load of 57.5, and also with the bullets seated about 0.03 shallower than hornady's published depth. out of 4 strings of 5 shots each, from 52.5 to 57 gr, I had 3 bullets touching with every group except one, and they were pretty close to touching. Not bad for 50 year old eyes shooting through a NECG aperture. Needless to say, I am well-pleased so far.

Also loaded 4 strings up with some 2000 MR, but I ran out of time, so I won't get to test those for another couple of weeks.

Not bad for 25yds.

:LOL:

50 yards

Trust you are planning to scope that rifle. It, like the .375, is one of the truly versatile rounds all the way to 300 yards.

Trust you are planning to scope that rifle. It, like the .375, is one of the truly versatile rounds all the way to 300 yards.

At some point, yep. The eyes aren't what they used to be, but I know how to shoot iron sights. My best friend is 2 years older and always complains "I can't see the target very well anymore."

"Dude, if you're focusing on the target, you're doing it wrong."

Down here where I hunt, iron sights are more than plenty considering the rest of the rifles in my cabinet. Gonna move to MT at some point in the next 3 years or so. Will definitely want some glass to hunt elk and mulies. At elk altitudes, the old nine-three still has the juice for elk out to a quarter mile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.