Just ordered my 9.3x62

Digging up old stuff here but...

Talk me out of or into this rifle, 9.3x62 Zastava with a LH action.
I am seriously going to pull the trigger so to speak when the lockdown is over.
Fantastic all round calibre, especially in bush type country. Very good killing power but not much meat damage, so you can use it on anything from warthog to buffalo/giraffe. Can also be used to around 300m with proper bullet/load selection.

Still on the great topic about the 9.3 x 62 caliber hunting rifle...it seems I succeeded to have being able to source all the information of companies/individuals who is able to provide me with a 9.3 x 70 cal. reamer , re-loading dies and go-gauge/no-go gauge to do a rifle building project in the future for this great caliber..a few rifles in this caliber exist currently in the world,...maybe three at the most..I am sure if the 9.3 x 62 caliber is such a revered caliber as indicated on numerous threads on forums...the big brother 9.3 x 70 caliber must be something unique..:A Banana::A Bravo:.

It's funny the 9.3x70 was based on the 404J case. It's almost like history repeating itself as quite a few of the "new" chamberings have gone back to the 404J as a base.

Scrummy

Scrummy, you are correct ......this is why I perceive the 404 Jeffery case as the perfect developed case of all calibers....like the 8x86 case the 404 Jeffery case ( .450 /400 double rifle black powder case origin .450/400 parent case) was /is the case based most by wild cutters, well know brands like Remington company these days ( which originated from the Imperial Canadian Magnum designed by Aubrey White , owner of the Canadian Imperial rifle company ...a designed that set the bar extremely high for caliber performances...( History is available for members who are interested in the Imperial Magnum caliber design)
For the long range hunters/shooters there is a set of .338 Imperial Magnum reamer, re-loading dies and gauges ( no go / go gauges ) available to purchase...just pm me , I was contemplating building a rifle in this caliber but realise it would be too much rifle to really shoot it well over long distance...I therefore settle for my 8x68S...(y)(y)

It's funny the 9.3x70 was based on the 404J case. It's almost like history repeating itself as quite a few of the "new" chamberings have gone back to the 404J as a base.

Scrummy
This is the primary reason I want to build this caliber hunting rifle since I already have a 404 Jeffery hunting rifle ...:A Banana::A Banana:

Still on the great topic about the 9.3 x 62 caliber hunting rifle...it seems I succeeded to have being able to source all the information of companies/individuals who is able to provide me with a 9.3 x 70 cal. reamer , re-loading dies and go-gauge/no-go gauge to do a rifle building project in the future for this great caliber..a few rifles in this caliber exist currently in the world,...maybe three at the most..I am sure if the 9.3 x 62 caliber is such a revered caliber as indicated on numerous threads on forums...the big brother 9.3 x 70 caliber must be something unique..:A Banana::A Bravo:.
I have no experience of that. However, speaking personally, I would be very keen on a .366 Alskan, which is a 9.3 bullet in a .458WM case. In fact either that or .375 equivalent are what Winchester should really have done with their 50's - 60's standard length magnums, instead of jumping from .338 to .458. The .366 Alaskan makes great sense and all reports I have read on it are very positive. The fact that it goes into a standard 30-06 length action is a huge plus.

daga boy,
your 336 Alaskan would be similar to the 338 win mag necked up to 9.3mm.
case dimensions are the same or very close to the 9.3x64, but your case will have a belt and the x64 does not.
necking up the 338 to 336 would not be hard, and brass would be available.
bruce.

Congratulations , Sergeant !
The 9.3×62 mm Mauser calibre was an extremely popular choice among my continental clients for the shikar of royal Bengal tigers and sambhur deer .
Have you had the privilege to hunt anything with your Zastava Model 70 bolt rifle , till now ?

daga boy,
your 336 Alaskan would be similar to the 338 win mag necked up to 9.3mm.
case dimensions are the same or very close to the 9.3x64, but your case will have a belt and the x64 does not.
necking up the 338 to 336 would not be hard, and brass would be available.
bruce.
Yes, it would just be a bit more powerful than the 9.3x64 as the .458 case has about 10-12% more capacity pre-seating.
9.3 x 64's are quite hard to come by here, as is the Brenneke brass, but .338WM and .458WM brass is plentiful and cheap. The nice thing , as with the .375 Ruger , is that you get a hard hitting, big game legal and very flexible round that fits into a pretty compact platform. Only downside I can see is that it would require a custom build as most 9.3 x 62's are light and would probably kick badly if converted. Maybe, maybe.

I don’t know. My CZ 550 Medium in 9.3x62 with a 3-9 x 40 scope weighs 8.8 pounds which is comfortable .375 territory.

daga boy,
if x64 brass is hard to get, you are on the right path.
one advantage of your proposed cartridge is that it will fit a std h&h boltface.
starting from scratch as you are, when you purchase a chambering reamer, also purchase a matching reamer to make a full length sizing die.
the chamber reamer will make the seating die.
such a setup will only minimally fls the brass, but always feed reliably.
I do this with target rifle chambers which get shot a lot, and case seperations do not happen.
in fact cases last as long as neck sized only.
pacific tool and die will supply such reamers, and I think will also supply die blanks.
there are other die blank suppliers as well.
when people see your cartridge perform, someone will want one for sure, so you could either sell or rent the reamers to recoup cost.
bruce.

It's the rifle at the top.

pix125305978.jpg
Sgt Zim
Nice looking rifles sarge but why didn't you get a Whelen mate
Cheers mate Bob

I hope it isn't a "flood damage" special. Really the 9.3 x 62 will make you an excellent rifle. ALMOST as good as a 35 Whelen. With it and your 6.5 you are ready to go to Africa.

BTW did you get that new job you were talking about?
Shootist43
The sarge can always rebarrel to the Whelen at a later date. CFE223 doesn't work as well in the 9.3 as it does in the Whelen but still works better than a few others
Cheers Art
Bob

Fantastic all round calibre, especially in bush type country. Very good killing power but not much meat damage, so you can use it on anything from warthog to buffalo/giraffe. Can also be used to around 300m with proper bullet/load selection.
I agree with you Daga Boy.

I was thinking of maybe using PRVI brass and bullets until it's time to get ready for Africa or Alaska. Anyone have any thoughts?
I have used Priv i brass and loaded ammo for deer and hogs it works very well. The brass is on a par with Hornady brass and reloads easily. I like the hogs back stock on the rifle.

Its all taking shape, I have bought the LH rifle and now the license application starts.
Its nice having friends who own gunshops; one found me some old stock Highland branded PRVI ammunition in the back shelves of the shop and is keeping it for me.
7 boxes will get it sighted and familiar as well as provide enough brass to load for a while.
Pricing cheaper than PMP brown box 308.

What scope will I fit... hmmm. 3-9x40? 2-7x33? 1.5-4x20?

Its all taking shape, I have bought the LH rifle and now the license application starts.
Its nice having friends who own gunshops; one found me some old stock Highland branded PRVI ammunition in the back shelves of the shop and is keeping it for me.
7 boxes will get it sighted and familiar as well as provide enough brass to load for a while.
Pricing cheaper than PMP brown box 308.

What scope will I fit... hmmm. 3-9x40? 2-7x33? 1.5-4x20?
2-7 is almost perfect IMO. If you will be shooting far at PG got to 3-9.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross