Just ordered my 9.3x62

I've used PRVI 286gr projectiles. It dealt to a red stag at 97yds, took out the vertebrae right where neck joins the chest. Also completly destroyed a possum! Probably one of the softer projectiles, but cheap to practice with.
Haven't used the PRVI brass.

I have some pics of a number of sectioned 9.3mm projectiles on my other computer I'll post them up in a few hours when I'm home.

Have been shooting PVRI in my 9.3 X 62 CZ
3/4 inch group. Moose starts Sunday. Will let you know how it works out.

Here are the pics. They are not mine, I've "borrowed" them from **NOT**PERMITTED**

9.3 232 to 250 .jpg
9.3 270 to 286 .jpg
9.3 286 .jpg

Getting a very popular caliber on here this one just sorted out mine today

Ist group with PRVI. CZ 550

I was thinking of maybe using PRVI brass and bullets until it's time to get ready for Africa or Alaska. Anyone have any thoughts?

Congratulations on your 9.3X62. I think it is one of the best all rounders out there. One thing to be aware of not all brass is the same. Prvi is fine but does not have the case capacity that Norma or Lapua has. My oldest son and I both have 9.3X62's and use 250gr TTSX bullets in them. We get between 2500-2550fps using CFE223 and Alliants 2000MR. He has taken all sorts of Plains Game with his and I took nice moose with mine last year. You won't be unhappy with you choice.

Congratulations on your 9.3X62. I think it is one of the best all rounders out there. One thing to be aware of not all brass is the same. Prvi is fine but does not have the case capacity that Norma or Lapua has. My oldest son and I both have 9.3X62's and use 250gr TTSX bullets in them. We get between 2500-2550fps using CFE223 and Alliants 2000MR. He has taken all sorts of Plains Game with his and I took nice moose with mine last year. You won't be unhappy with you choice.

Are you using Barnes #4 manual for your reload data? I have a membership to loaddata.com, and they don't even have any loads published for TTSX, only TSX FB in 250 gr.

Are you using Barnes #4 manual for your reload data? I have a membership to loaddata.com, and they don't even have any loads published for TTSX, only TSX FB in 250 gr.

No, I will look through several loading manuals though. I use the QuickLoad computer program which is basically a modeling program. It is not always correct in its estimates but is often close and can be somewhat manipulated. I find QuickLoad gives me a lager range of powders to consider than the loading manuals for this cartridge, for example QuickLoad doesn't list 2000MR but does list CFE223 which I don't think is considered in the loading manuals. From experience my son and I have discovered that the two are almost interchangeable in the 9.3x62, and a couple of other calibers we shoot. My load is 62.2gr of CFE223 out of a Blaser R8. His load I think is 61.5gr of 2000MR out of a CZ550.

If you have interest in this program I suggest you go online www.neconos.com and then give Ed a call. He is very knowledgable.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks @dchamp - I've thought about QuickLoad, but my buddies and I don't reload enough different calibers and manufacturers to make it worth the spend. Except for 308 and 223, we reload for hunting. Published powder conversion tables get me past the difficult time I have finding Norma powders, so I'll probably use RL-15 instead of N203B (for 9.3x62) and RL-22 instead of MRP (for 6.5x55).

We used CFE223 in our progressive Dillon, and it was a giant mess. In my Rockchucker, I can control the mess a bit better.

I second and or third the use of good brass. It might cost a bit more initially but when you factor in the number of reloads likely it is probably cheaper. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

I second and or third the use of good brass. It might cost a bit more initially but when you factor in the number of reloads likely it is probably cheaper. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

So...what's better, Lapua or Norma?

I've only ever used Win, Hornady, or Starline for my other cartridges.

I use both Norma and Lapua depending what is on sale. I use Starline ( Sierra) for all my pistol brass. Winchester brass is supposedly harder than Remington and or Hornady. I had some issues while reloading my 35 Whelen using Remington and Hornady brass, They ceased to happen when I switched to Norma. Keep an eye open for brass sales. My two favorite sources are Midway nd Graff and Sons in that order. When the price is right get a bunch.

I use both Norma and Lapua depending what is on sale. I use Starline ( Sierra) for all my pistol brass. Winchester brass is supposedly harder than Remington and or Hornady. I had some issues while reloading my 35 Whelen using Remington and Hornady brass, They ceased to happen when I switched to Norma. Keep an eye open for brass sales. My two favorite sources are Midway nd Graff and Sons in that order. When the price is right get a bunch.

That's where I buy my brass as well. CTD doesn't even sell 9.3 brass, or if they do, I never catch them when they even have it listed.

Norma and Lapua brass are probably the best, I think Lapua is somewhat better. I see Grafs has Hornady brass too, that might be worth trying.
Varget is another popular powder for the 9.3X62 and works well. If you get down to the 200-230gr bullets H4895 would be a good choice.
Don't shy away from trying some of the factory ammo. I have found both Norma and Lapua to be very consistent and accurate but I tend to always be on the lookout for sales. I think the 230gr EcoStrike has a BC of .41 and I'm getting around 2650fps out of my Blaser with a 22" barrel.

I already reload for 6.5x55, 45-70, and 308. another set of dies won't kill me. I already use Varget for my 308, so it'll be double duty for that powder.

I shoot lots of Hornady, but I do notice that their published data always seems very conservative. On their 250gr GMX, 57.3 gr of Varget gets me 2450 fps.

I already reload for 6.5x55, 45-70, and 308. another set of dies won't kill me. I already use Varget for my 308, so it'll be double duty for that powder.

I shoot lots of Hornady, but I do notice that their published data always seems very conservative. On their 250gr GMX, 57.3 gr of Varget gets me 2450 fps.

I think you'll find that Varget will not give the velocity that the other powders mention will. I looked back through my records and had tried Varget a few years ago. With a 250 TTSX and 57.0gr Varget I averaged 2400fps. And I need to make a correction the Norma factory ammo I mentioned is 225gr Eco-Strike not 230gr.

I think you'll find that Varget will not give the velocity that the other powders mention will. I looked back through my records and had tried Varget a few years ago. With a 250 TTSX and 57.0gr Varget I averaged 2400fps. And I need to make a correction the Norma factory ammo I mentioned is 225gr Eco-Strike not 230gr.

If I use Norma bullets, which I will, I'll probably end up using RL-15 as a sub for N-203, at least for the 286 gr bullets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaFairb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you