Judging Giraffe

I'm several months out from securing any kind of trip. Perhaps I'll just go hush hush about it for a while, then spring the details of my bag list as I'm getting on the plane. :bolt: Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness. Like when I came home from a motorcycle trip with a KelTec Shotgun (KSG). That one went over fairly well.:baaa:

You are man if you pull it off!!!

On one of my hunts the PH was telling a story about a night hunt that went wrong. They were looking for something up in the trees (don't remember what) and saw eyes reflecting back and the hunter shot before the PH could say anything. Something hit the ground like a ton of bricks. Turned out to be 2 tons of giraffe.
They don't do that any more!

I'm still trying to decide how I want my giraffe mount done, I really liked Bushbuck's giraffe mount from page one of this thread. I hope the mount captures what an amazing animal these guys are.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking to a buddy this evening....I think I should just make all my mounts into lamps! That'll teach her to stifle my dreams!

They'll all look great crammed in your new apartment. :)

I have to agree.....awesome thread! And darn....giraffe was not on my list. But now....I don't know what I'm going to do. I have GOT to stay off this web site until after my hunt in three months. My list just keeps getting longer and longer. I love seeing the photos! Y'all just made it tougher to decide.:crying:

I hope to hunt a Giraffe with bow one day.
If I get one I will have it as a flat skin. No idea where I should put it in my house, but I deal with that problem when I get it home :)

I was very close to a rather tame young Giraffe bull when I stalked with my bow last year.
I guess he thought I was strange looking in my leaf suit with face mask and gloves so he had to check me out.
When I was sitting behind some bushes waiting for the Blesbok I stalked to move, he came over and walked to me till his feet was 1 meter behind me and he bent his neck and head down to look at what I was :)

I want to hunt a more mature, smarter and more wild Giraffe than that :)

Not sure if I ever posted a pic of my completed mount. That whole experience ranks right up there with one of my favorite hunts. We created a U.S. version of an Acacia tree for the Giraffe to munch on - our taxidermist is still amazed at how it turned out and I get to see it every day!

DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0037.jpg
DSC_0042.jpg

Lovely mount, I like the tree idea, too. How much does that thing weigh? It looks like you only used two screws to put it up.

It's close to 400 lbs but we have plywood backed walls and those bolts are in studs. It was a very well thought out hanging system - it went on one bolt with the neck horizontal then turned it upright to catch the other one. They tested it down low at their shop first!

Not showing my kid that mount of yours lori.His list is already to big of animals he wants.He sees that mount he will want to add giraffe to.That is a great idea how you did that mount though.

I hope to hunt a Giraffe with bow one day.
If I get one I will have it as a flat skin. No idea where I should put it in my house, but I deal with that problem when I get it home :)

I was very close to a rather tame young Giraffe bull when I stalked with my bow last year.
I guess he thought I was strange looking in my leaf suit with face mask and gloves so he had to check me out.
When I was sitting behind some bushes waiting for the Blesbok I stalked to move, he came over and walked to me till his feet was 1 meter behind me and he bent his neck and head down to look at what I was :)

I want to hunt a more mature, smarter and more wild Giraffe than that :)

We like to make AH members add to the trophy list, by posting theses tempting threads. I think it makes a good bowhunting trophy and a fine flat skin.

I know exactly where my Giraffe skin will lay, and I'll have it pretty soon.

I'd actually like to take another one.

Something different, like maybe a real black one.

I really like the different colors giraffes come in, very appealing!

Not showing my kid that mount of yours lori.His list is already to big of animals he wants.He sees that mount he will want to add giraffe to.That is a great idea how you did that mount though.
C'mon Bill - live a little - you would enjoy watching him take one and besides, you can't take it with you!

Hunted a young bull a few years ago, they used a TLB for setting up the bull for foto's... here is the video, sorry about the qaulity guys...

watermark.php

watermark.php

in 2005 i took this old man out of the gene pool.wasnt letting the younger bulls breed.used my scope sighted contender in 45-70.405 gr cor-bon penetrator bullets.
mypictures042.jpg

Great colors!

thanks,in 2007 i saw what looked like a black one.he had to be older than me.never forgave myself for not taking him,could of had bookends.this guy is really the star of the show!!!
mypictures355.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg