Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
100 yards
Nosler Accubond 250 gr
Varget, 56.5 gr
Leupold VX-5HD
Zastava M-70 Mauser 9.3x62
IMG_20190330_115956.jpg

No way man. Get back to the range a practice some more!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I would say you have that recipe just right.(y)(y)

Good work, hunt with confidence!

Other than the good group, what is your opinion of the Zastava rifle. I am looking at one in 375H&H

It's a solid Mauser action that is well-mated to a pretty good barrel.

the not-so-good stuff, at least on mine
  1. the wood is pretty, but they do not finish it well. I lightly sanded mine, then refinished it with Behlen Master Gel.
  2. the rear scope mount holes are off-center. I didn't notice until I mounted a NECG aperture sight. Even with the sight pushed all the way to the left stop, at 100 yards, groups were still 6" right of center. I had to drift the front sight to the right by about 0.02". The front sight dove tail now sticks out a little on the right, but the fit of the dove tail is quite snug, as you'd want it to be.
  3. mag floor plate closes solidly, but is slack when open (it can be moved about the Y-axis a little bit)
  4. tool marks
  5. there's a high spot on the extractor that rubs on the inside of the receiver when I work the bolt
  6. there aren't many choices in scope bases. AFAIK, Weaver steel bases are the only choice. The comb is low (for my face) and the Weaver bases, even with low rings, meant an after market cheek riser was necessary. And a 30MM scope will add another 2.3 MM to the height of the center line (verses a 1" scope, which is 25.4 MM). A poor fit isn't a big deal at 100 yards, but it becomes a deal at 200 yards and further.
They're solid truck guns. But don't have any doubt that I'll have no shame bringing this rifle wherever in the world I may decide to hunt. I've only got a couple hundred rounds through it so far, but haven't had any issues other than a single WLR dud primer.

For a .375 H&H, also consider the weight of the rifle. My 9.3x62 is a little on the light side, so recoil is appreciable for both the 250 and 286 gr bullets. I expect when I start working on 300 gr A-Frame loads, it'll just get that much worse. And I'm only pushing my bullets at around 2400 fps. You're going to be shooting 300 gr at 2550-2600.

Zastava wasn't my first choice, but I'm a lefty, so I didn't have a great many choices in LH Mauser actions chambered in 9.3x62.

All things considered, I'm happy with it because it's accurate and (so far) reliable, even if it has a few "warts." If you're looking for a pretty gun, keep looking.

I expect I'll bring the rifle to a smith near my house this summer to have him smooth up the action, and add some weight to the butt stock and maybe even the fore end.

Other than the good group, what is your opinion of the Zastava rifle. I am looking at one in 375H&H
Mine was a Great shooter and very accurate

1. the wood is pretty, but they do not finish it well. I lightly sanded mine, then refinished it with Behlen Master Gel.
  2. the rear scope mount holes are off-center. I didn't notice until I mounted a NECG aperture sight. Even with the sight pushed all the way to the left stop, at 100 yards, groups were still 6" right of center. I had to drift the front sight to the right by about 0.02". The front sight dove tail now sticks out a little on the right, but the fit of the dove tail is quite snug, as you'd want it to be.
  3. mag floor plate closes solidly, but is slack when open (it can be moved about the Y-axis a little bit)
  4. tool marks
  5. there's a high spot on the extractor that rubs on the inside of the receiver when I work the bolt
  6. there aren't many choices in scope bases. AFAIK, Weaver steel bases are the only choice. The comb is low (for my face) and the Weaver bases, even with low rings, meant an after market cheek riser was necessary. And a 30MM scope will add another 2.3 MM to the height of the center line (verses a 1" scope, which is 25.4 MM). A poor fit isn't a big deal at 100 yards, but it becomes a deal at 200 yards and further.
They're solid truck guns. But don't have any doubt that I'll have no shame bringing this rifle wherever in the world I may decide to hunt. I've only got a couple hundred rounds through it so far, but haven't had any issues other than a single WLR dud primer.

For a .375 H&H, also consider the weight of the rifle. My 9.3x62 is a little on the light side, so recoil is appreciable for both the 250 and 286 gr bullets. I expect when I start working on 300 gr A-Frame loads, it'll just get that much worse. And I'm only pushing my bullets at around 2400 fps. You're going to be shooting 300 gr at 2550-2600.

Zastava wasn't my first choice, but I'm a lefty, so I didn't have a great many choices in LH Mauser actions chambered in 9.3x62.

All things considered, I'm happy with it because it's accurate and (so far) reliable, even if it has a few "warts." If you're looking for a pretty gun, keep looking.

I expect I'll bring the rifle to a smith near my house this summer to have him smooth up the action, and add some weight to the butt stock and maybe even the fore end.

Thank you for the reply
When it comes to this rifle I am not looking for pretty, looking for reliable and accurate for caliber. Hopefully the scope mounts are on center but if not it can be fixed. I have read the actions are rough to start but will work in and can be made very smooth. I did order the rifle and it should be here in about a week or so.
Thanks again for the reply and information, it really helped with my decision

Who's the dealer? I ordered mine from GB, but the dealer's name is Alan McKinney from TN. He's one of 2 or 3 dealers that orders LH Zastavas.

Congrats you'll love it, and there is enough guys around here that can help with load data

4. tool marks

Very good report!
Thanks
Philip

Got it from Cabelas gun library. Have been watching it for awhile, it started out high and kept coming down until l think it was a fair price.

zim,
if the high spot on the extractor is on the outside it might not be a bad thing - quite the opposite if it is only a little bit.
that high spot , if as I described, holds the extractor hard into the extractor groove, guaranteeing extraction.
just a thought.
bruce.

zim,
if the high spot on the extractor is on the outside it might not be a bad thing - quite the opposite if it is only a little bit.
that high spot , if as I described, holds the extractor hard into the extractor groove, guaranteeing extraction.
just a thought.
bruce.

Yes, it's on the outside. I'm simply accustomed to an unlocked bolt being able to fall completely open due to gravity. This one will fall to the high spot and stop. I'd like maybe .001 - .0015 buffed off and a polished bolt lug raceway.

zim, you raised a good point.
I have a mkIX that does the same, and wondered just what you said.
pity the base screws are off centre.
some things can be forgiven, but not that so much, particularly when it shoots so well.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg