Hunting 14' Crocs In South Africa?

Guys, bit of a sidetrack, but do not decry the South African game-hunt model. Without a commercial offtake there would be no breeding, and without breeding there would be far less wild animals in South Africa. If you don't want these precious tracts of land reverting to goats and cows, and have poachers overrun them before that then you had better accept the concept of sustainable commercial offtake, which implies replenishment too.
A large croc is a very old animal, they are few and far between. You want one of those, you can have one, but you pay. But the father and son wanting a reasonably priced croc in SA can also have one, what is wrong with that? Of course it was bred, how else?
Kevin you are correct of course. The problem i have is all the lies trying to claim it is something (real wild hunting) that it is not. Nothing at all wrong with put and take if that is what the client signed up for. But when it is sold as a real wild hunt, and then dearly defended as such.... that is too much for me to take. I honestly think some Outfitters, PH's and even clients are so far into their own BS that they cannot even recognize the truth anymore.

Kevin you are correct of course. The problem i have is all the lies trying to claim it is something (real wild hunting) that it is not. Nothing at all wrong with put and take if that is what the client signed up for. But when it is sold as a real wild hunt, and then dearly defended as such.... that is too much for me to take. I honestly think some Outfitters, PH's and even clients are so far into their own BS that they cannot even recognize the truth anymore.
I wonder is it wouldn't help if SAGA or the regulating body created thee categories:
1. True wild
2. Sustainable breeding herd, even if they were introduced at some point.
3. Place and take

The classic charade that was often sold to clients before the import Nazis took over, was the lion that had "come over" from Botswana and was causing regrettable havoc among the locals. For a suitable fee, the client could seize this once in a blue moon opportunity to take this "wild" nuisance lion.

And it is beyond extremely unlikely that a 14 foot croc is going to mysteriously appear in a stock tank in the middle of the Limpopo - about like me seeing one this morning out back in the San Gabriel.

Last edited:
I wonder is it wouldn't help if SAGA or the regulating body created thee categories:
1. True wild
2. Sustainable breeding herd, even if they were introduced at some point.
3. Place and take
In theory this would be a great way to market hunts. In reality, everyone with a class 3 would be marketing as a class 2, everyone with a class 2 would be marketing as a class1, everyone with a class 1 would be charging double what everyone else is. Honesty can be a rare commodity in the hunting world.

I do not want to come across as slamming or putting down SA game management practices, my God its is working better than almost any other Countries. I really don't see any need to change or implement new ideas or rules, @ActionBob has it 100% correct, as an outfitter be honest about EVERY part of the hunt. I fully understood that my CB lion and some of my PG game were behind fences, that's the only way I could afford to hunt them, (lechwe, black wildebeest). I did not do enough research on the croc and outfitter was not forthcoming, eluded, hid, never stated or played me to think croc hunt would be something it was not. Worse is its still happening in writing on here to other members with questions. I am no safari virgin, but this was my first SA experience (not 1M acres and wild) its on me for not asking the proper questions.

While we were hunting my sisters stated that some parts of hunt seamed "scripted" I debunked those statements. Imagine now my surprise when I watch you tube and members on this sites videos and the PH turns and states the exact same things word for word to those hunters. OMG moments, sisters were right.

I must hunt SA again, my next thinning of the outfitters will contain even more direct, hard questions, that will demand an answer.

@Obi Wan Kenobi If such things matter to your croc hunt may I suggest asking the same hard questions and getting answer.

MB

I have seen wild crocs in the Ngotwane river which is part of the Botswana border, and the Phongolo river in Natal, could not judge their size, but not impresssive.

South Africa does have the croc farms. There isn’t any areas that really have natural crocs in SA. Though I friend of my on the Limpopo river gets a lot of crocs on his trail cam by the river. Though nothing like a 14 footer. You can get big crocs in SA but it isn’t the same as the crocs in Mozambique. There are some real monsters there and they kill a lot of people up there. In my opinion do a hippo and croc hunt in Mozambique.

IMG_8036.JPG

Here is a pic of a big one he got on trail cam a few months back

@Tanner Lee it would appear you have no idea what you are talking about or maybe you worded that incorrectly ?

"There isn’t any areas that really have natural crocs in SA."

There a thousands of Wild Crocodiles in South Africa, the Limpopo has some huge crocs, the Mogol River (I have seen 13-14footers in there myself) Palala River also & many others, if there are no Wild Crocs in RSA I would like to see you swim across the Limpopo River after dark or even in day light, doubt you would make it across the Mogol or Palala either.

Can't believe any one would say such a thing !!

Now shooting one legally that's a different thing & takes a bit of doing !

Last edited:
@Tanner Lee it would appear you have no idea what you are talking about or maybe you worded that incorrectly ?

There a thousands of Wild Crocodiles in South Africa, the Limpopo has some huge crocs, the Mogol River (I have seen 13-14footers in there myself) Palala River also & many others, if there are no Wild Crocs in RSA I would like to see you swim across the Limpopo River after dark or even in day light, doubt you would make it across the Mogol or Palala either.

The wording would be the issue here.

There are plenty of natural crocs in SA. It just depends on where you are. The Limpopo can definitely get some good crocs I just have not heard of any 14-footers before.

I see, Crocs are all over & in places you wouldn't think, if even close to Crocodile range any water should be treated with respect, even in cool regions Crocs can live there, may not be breeding but can be in that water so be aware, Flat Dogs are ever where !

I have shot a 14ft+ ( I think 15ft but Farmer says he was 16+) in the Limpopo it was trying to pull under one of his Cows at the time, it was one of the larger Crocs on that stretch of river but I'm sure there are many others as large or larger in RSA !!

Last edited:
Crocs definitely are everywhere. The areas I have spent most of my time in SA are in areas with a lack of natural crocs, all the ones I saw or heard of were stocked, at least at one point. Limpopo is the best is to go to SA to hunt them.
That picture I shared is from the Limpopo river, that's the biggest one he has gotten on camera. Though he said there is probably a bigger one because it was stealing his cameras. I am always certain that there are big animals in general hidden everywhere.
That's a really nice croc, they definitely can get big feeding on cows.

"There isn’t any areas that really have natural crocs in SA."

I would like to see a video of someone swimming across the Limpopo River or any other river there after dark? A bottle of Bundy will be the prize if that person makes it across. LOL

When we stayed in Lower Sabie in Kruger the pond/dam/lake just up the road was loaded with crocs, it was after hunt so I would say some were larger than 12', we could get real close in vehicle, they seamed "tame". Also saw some good sized ones from the bridge entering park and lazing around with the hippos behind the restaurant in Sabie camp. I have no idea if wild born, released or other. Of course not hurtable. It sure was a lifetime joy seeing the dangerous 7 in 4 days and all wild. Along with painted dogs, honey badger and so much more. Its my recommendation that everyone should add some days before or after a SA trip to enjoy such a place.

My croc hunt was supposed to be in Limpopo on the river when planned, something changed between leaving Canada and arriving in SA.

MB

Yes, Scott van Zyl he was a good friend of my friend & his reminds were found in 3 Crocs that were shot in the Limpopo area he was last seen in, but this whole event is strange & no ones knows what happened for sure, I think his head tracker went missing after this also ?

Bob, not saying this is you, but maybe if guys stopped chasing the cheapest hunts, they will find quality areas with quality operators who don't BS their hunters. Just a thought. Pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
Personally, I moved away from an area just to get to a more wild environment, where hunting is not as commercial, but range freely. It has certainly paid dividends, but I put a value to the experience of being able to hunt larger areas.

Bob, not saying this is you, but maybe if guys stopped chasing the cheapest hunts, they will find quality areas with quality operators who don't BS their hunters. Just a thought. Pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
Personally, I moved away from an area just to get to a more wild environment, where hunting is not as commercial, but range freely. It has certainly paid dividends, but I put a value to the experience of being able to hunt larger areas.
I do not think hunt costs are a reflection of an outfitters honesty. My last hunt was not the cheapest and not the most expensive quote, it offered the best plan. We are not talking of a short 7-10 day PG hunt so final bill was not average. Prices will always be factored in on every hunt, the real answer is not price, its client and mostly outfitter HONESTY. As a client I am honest with my fitness, ability, desires, expectations and am not paying peanuts, I only ask the same from outfitters regardless of hunt/TF prices.

I am comparing TF from some of the companies who state wild free range in SA, they are a little higher as expected. There are probably some species in SA not available as "real" wild, croc being one to hard to confirm, for this reason my next croc will be hunted in another country, as will more buff.

KMG will be contacted for my next hunt when planning starts. I still have a SA list.

MB

I spent Noth of $60k on the referenced hunt. And it was several years ago. The way it went down was in a similar thread as this I commented there was really no wild lion hunts available in RSA. I recieved a PM saying that was not true and he had two wild lions roaming on his property adjacent to Kruger. I never went looking for any special deal, he approached me. All seemed up and up. It was all smoke and mirrors in the end.

It is fair to say there are many great operators such as yourself. It seems especially in the East Cape where there are less high fences, more large conservancies.

However I know there is also a lot of BS in the hunting industry. It is definitely buyer beware. The real bitch about my deal is the operation had a great reputation with fantastic references. In fact it would be considered a high end operation. The accomplishments and food certainly were. Good quality buffalo and PG. Not pushing one to shoot sub standard critters, in fact the opposite. But the lion and likely hyena was all BS.

Marius t the time i was shopping for the best situation to take a South African lion. Fully aware and expecting some level of "canned" hunt. In fact opposite of shopping with peanuts. I was shopping for the largest property with the lions having been "out" the longest period of time. I had a lead in fact on a very large property where the lions had been roaming for quite some time and were killing their own prey, at least that's what was represented in that particular deal. Had I taken that or some other hunt, at least I'd have known what I was getting.

The deal I was sold was to hunt a lion born in Kruger and escaped through the fence. A lion that needed to be removed because it was killing the game. In fact they were being fed. As were the two in captivity behind camp waiting to "escape".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg