How good/accurate are full length barrel inserts in a 12ga 3"?

IvW

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
I have been searching for "different" rifle for my own hunting. I have looked at o/u, Bergstutzen and single shots.

I want to pack one case and go hunt.

Now I have stumbled across a New Brno O/U combination in 12ga 3"/9.3x74R with 24 inch barrels and am wondering how good full length barrel inserts will work. I could get an insert for say 9.3x74R(giving me a double of sorts, a 7x57R insert for a Stutzen and perhaps a 22 Hornet insert for small stuff.

Anybody use them and what are your experiences and thoughts.

I am not looking for long range accuracy but at least it needs to have acceptable accuracy out to about 200 yards....

Very interesting question IvW! I’ll be following this discussion.

IvW , do you mean something like this ? We Call them adaptors . They work from a functional point of view . I have experimented with them many years ago. . Accuracy is not the best though. My own example took many cotton tail rabbits and pheasant. Is 100 yards suitable for you ? The gun l used belongs to a close friend using an Italian ( probably Beretta , if my memory serves me right ) Over Under 12 gauge . Inserts were for a 9mm
Screenshot_20190901-172622_01_01.png
Screenshot_20190901-173321_01.png
Screenshot_20190901-172557_01.png

Last edited:
I'll be curious to see the answers. Drillings are often equipped with a shotgun insert barrel for .22 LR or .22 Magnum. I have seen a WWII era Krieghoff equipped with .22 savage HP insert. It is normally fitted for the right shotgun barrel so the set trigger can be used. Once installed they are then fine adjusted to the telescopic sight (you will have already adjusted the sight to the primary rifle caliber). They can be extremely accurate for foxes and that sort of thing from a highseat. (Like most Tetonic firearms' engineering, once fitted and adjusted, they can be removed and reinserted with no loss in accuracy of the sight setting). My guild drilling with a Krieghoff insert shoots little tiny .22 mag groups at seventy yards. I have never seen large caliber inserts. The pistol bullet inserts I have seen were generally pretty worthless.

Last edited:
I believe with an insert of a large caliber cartridge in a shotgun there would be an issue with the action's ability to withstand the higher pressures.

I have been searching for "different" rifle for my own hunting. I have looked at o/u, Bergstutzen and single shots.

I want to pack one case and go hunt.

Now I have stumbled across a New Brno O/U combination in 12ga 3"/9.3x74R with 24 inch barrels and am wondering how good full length barrel inserts will work. I could get an insert for say 9.3x74R(giving me a double of sorts, a 7x57R insert for a Stutzen and perhaps a 22 Hornet insert for small stuff.

Anybody use them and what are your experiences and thoughts.

I am not looking for long range accuracy but at least it needs to have acceptable accuracy out to about 200 yards....

You will end up with a whole series of problems and you will not become happy,... this is what I promise.

For a good insert barrel you have to pay 1000 - 1400 € or $.... for one,...you want three, is'n it?

You need a good one badly, because it has to be adjustable to the other (9,3x74R) rifle barrel! and thouse are not cheep.

You need a strong rifle, steel not aluminium bascule! with a solid locking.

It has to be installed by a competent gunsmith, familiar with insert barrels, the maker of the insert preferably.

Because, when things go south, you can blame him!

You can ruin a good gun with a bad installed insert, and a weak gun anyway.

3 different inserts in one shotgun barrel will not work reliable.

You will spent tons of ammunition zeroing the barrels after every change.

Manufacturers say, it works without zeroing, but it does not, believe me.

I have insert barrels in several calibers up to 6,5x57R,...nothing bigger.

Especially the small calibers are extremely accurate, once I made one hole with 5 shots from my .223 at 100 m.

Not every day, but it happend.

I would look for a 9,3x74R O/U double, sometimes you can find a good used Brno for an acceptable price.

... and a combi 12/76 7x65R with an .22 Hornet insert barrel.

Diana bless you..... and your wallet.;)

HWL

Attachments

• Screenshot (56).png
    Screenshot (56).png
    129.6 KB · Views: 247
I am now onto a Krieghoff Optima drilling....12ga x 2 3" and 9.3x74R at the bottom.
Full length insert barrel for right top barrel in 7x57R.......
I think this could be the answer to my ultimate pg rifle. I am no fan of long range shooting.

Now there are some options availible.
Standard barrel length is 22" I prefer 24"
Stock magazine with hinged floor plate is availible is it worth it?

5 different Briley chokes. Cyl, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full

I have a Sauer Lux drilling, 16,16,7x57,that has a properly installed full length 5.6x50R adapter in the right 16 guagebarrel. I have only shot to 100 yards at the range. It shoots a bit over 1 inch groups at that range. The group is approximately 1/2 inch to the right of the 7x57 point of imact. This type of insert is neither inexpensive to buy nor inexpensive to have properly installed. Youcan pick up a Finnclassic for a lot less than you will have in a good properly installed insert. A further complication of the insert route, is the waiting. It takes a while to get one, and gunsmith wait times are a young man's sport. Last time I had one worked on it was well over 10 months. There are not many who are trained and experienced in this kind of work.
Good luck on your project,
Bfly

For a while Browning made the Superposed with two sets of barrels - 20 gauge and 30-'06. That would be a nice general purpose shot gun and rifle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 7.52.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 7.52.08 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 7.52.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 7.52.09 AM.png
    653.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 7.52.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 7.52.14 AM.png
    680.2 KB · Views: 48
My experience is with Briley shotgun tube sets only. 12 Ga O/U with full length tubes for 20, 28 & ,410. (Excellent product, btw.)

In this case you generally do not shoot the 12 Ga barrels - or you are looking at a serious cleaning session to get them clean enough to again fit the tubes.

Some of the Kohler and (I think) Krieghoff guys I used to shoot with a set of "Carrier" barrels - just for use with the tube set.

Just food for thought if two sets of barrels could be an option, although an expensive one.

My 45-70 insert barrel worked fine but I forget the name of the company. I will dig into a gun closet and find the barrel and post the name of the manufacturerand the barrel length for you.
They produce a number of calibers in similar barrels, but the .45-70 factory 300 grain bullets were strong enough for most big game in the USA.

My experience is with Briley shotgun tube sets only. 12 Ga O/U with full length tubes for 20, 28 & ,410. (Excellent product, btw.)

In this case you generally do not shoot the 12 Ga barrels - or you are looking at a serious cleaning session to get them clean enough to again fit the tubes.

Some of the Kohler and (I think) Krieghoff guys I used to shoot with a set of "Carrier" barrels - just for use with the tube set.

Just food for thought if two sets of barrels could be an option, although an expensive one.
@shootist~
Add in a paradox rifled tube for slugs as well, that gives you another option and makes 12 gauge slugs more accurate. No flies on a 3 inch magnum 1 and an 1/8 oz slug at 1,700fps and a clover leaf group at 50 yards.
Bob

My 45-70 insert barrel worked fine but I forget the name of the company. I will dig into a gun closet and find the barrel and post the name of the manufacturerand the barrel length for you.
They produce a number of calibers in similar barrels, but the .45-70 factory 300 grain bullets were strong enough for most big game in the USA.
@crs
I may be wrong but at one stage you could get a Ruger red label shotgun in 20 gauge and a set of 45-70 barrels to go with it.
Bob

Reactions: crs
I bought my barrel insert many years ago when it was a new idea. It works OK, but I have not used it in years. It was a sort of emergency addition to that gun configuration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross