Heym vs. Verney-Carron?

And getting back to OP's options most likely if they have not been ordered with intercepting sears (and seeing that the US distributor does not give that option) the Heym that he is looking at has intercepting sears and the VC would not have them.
Making assumptions is not always good. It may well have intercepting sears, seeing as it was a show rifle or so it seems.....take the serial number and confirm with VC simple email will tell...

I don't have an opinion that has much in the way of experience @Daniel Cary. At DSC/SCI I've handled both the VC and Heym rifles. I preferred the feel of the VC, but again, this is from a novice.

That said, after having read @Kevin Peacocke's experience with his VC and lack of reliability, I think I'd be considering what service on the rifle would be like. Can repairs and/or any other service be performed in the US? I don't know the answer to that question, but perhaps others here do.

I don't have an opinion that has much in the way of experience @Daniel Cary. At DSC/SCI I've handled both the VC and Heym rifles. I preferred the feel of the VC, but again, this is from a novice.

That said, after having read @Kevin Peacocke's experience with his VC and lack of reliability, I think I'd be considering what service on the rifle would be like. Can repairs and/or any other service be performed in the US? I don't know the answer to that question, but perhaps others here do.

Same Phil...I like the look of the 89b and the VC round body action...but from handling both I was not that fired up by how the 89b felt...the VCs I played with in similar calibres felt better to me in balance and general feel...was a bit disappointed as was impressed with the looks of the 89b from the launch photos etc...

Not ruffle anyone's feathers but, some of the comments here sound like an argument of Ford versus Chevy having some farkle the other doesn't and getting upset over the whole issue.

I have done more than picking one up from a rack at a gun show. I have 'skin' in the game.

I currently own the following double rifles: 1 Heym, 1 Verney-Carron, and two Chapuis.

The two Chapuis are fine rifles but, I also bought them when I didn't know much about double rifles and was looking for a "bargain". There is nothing functionally wrong with either rifle but, they are also my two least favored doubles.

The V-C and Heym to me are pretty equal but, really different rifles. The Heym I have is a no-nonsense working rifle and looks a little plain. The V-C is the supermodel you see on the cover of Sports Illustrated or the Ferrari that just set the new auction record. Both rifles handle like an extension of my body and are effortless to mount and swing on a target.

The Chapuis rifles to me in comparison are 'clubby' and not as attractive. They both feel slow to mount and seem more awkward to swing on to the target. While not 'homely', they are not supermodel pretty either. Chapuis, at least when I bought them, didn't really offer options and it was basically a take it or leave it proposition.

Verney-Carron custom builds so, you can get whatever you are willing to pay for. Heym really doesn't offer much in the way of options beyond wood but, in a no-nonsense working rifle nothing is missing so you don't have to 'option up'.

If you want a lot of flair and eye candy, V-C is still where I would go. For a hard-working rifle that will see a hard life in the bush, I'd happily get another Heym.

In all honesty though, today I'm keeping an eye out for an early 19th century British double though, a classic British bolt action might find its way to me as well if it is a 404 Jeffery.

I own a VC in 450/400 and it is a very good, well balanced double. However when I purchase my next double it will be a Heym.
Why the decision for the Heym 450/400?

JJ outside of Tulsa, OK is who I would use for any double rifle work I need. There isn't really any reason to send them back to Europe.

I have heard he does some warranty work for some European brands.

I would definitely go with the Heym 89B. I believe you have the best of German engineering with British style.

I had a issue with my custom ordered VC that was not addressed when it was brought to VC’s attention. It should have never left the factory in that condition. Left a little sour taste.
Thanks for letting me know, I am sure you are aware I have a similar issue, i am flying to Johannesburg on Monday to tackle their agent. Lets see what transpires. I am still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they force otherwise, lets hope.

Thanks for letting me know, I am sure you are aware I have a similar issue, i am flying to Johannesburg on Monday to tackle their agent. Lets see what transpires. I am still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they force otherwise, lets hope.

I hope all goes well and you can get something sorted with your VC.

I can see why & appreciate what they did in the 89's design. However, too me, 26" & 12lbs is bit of a set back and almost too traditional looking imo. "This is just whats readily available between the two". Some of these VC's are stunning undoubtedly, robust and feel at home.

Now, the VC pictured is from an individual and I received an email from VC's web site regarding another Imperial readily available. Who is VC's distributer in the US?
Thank You!

I'd like to see more of these in person. VC's Round Body's, etc. .. There's an advantage with Heym, as Mr. Sells restores confidence with excellent communication!

I can see why & appreciate what they did in the 89's design. However, too me, 26" & 12lbs is bit of a set back and almost too traditional looking imo. "This is just whats readily available between the two". Some of these VC's are stunning undoubtedly, robust and feel at home.

Now, the VC pictured is from an individual and I received an email from VC's web site regarding another Imperial readily available. Who is VC's distributer in the US?
Thank You!

I'd like to see more of these in person. VC's Round Body's, etc. .. There's an advantage with Heym, as Mr. Sells restores confidence with excellent communication!
Heym comes in multiple frame sizes, 3.6kg, 4.5kg, 5.4kg. I think there is a lighter one too.

I can see why & appreciate what they did in the 89's design. However, too me, 26" & 12lbs is bit of a set back
I honestly felt this same way about the weight when I was looking to buy an 89b in 500 at auction last fall. However when I got it in hand I realized that I’d worried over nothing. The rifle is so well balanced that it carries better than 10.25lb 470 I was used to. However the extra weight is evident when shooting as the recoil is perceived to be significantly less than the 470. Since this class of cartridge is at the upper limit of my recoil tolerance that makes a huge difference for me. I am much more accurate with the new 500 after only 50 rounds than I ever was with the 470.

I honestly felt this same way about the weight when I was looking to buy an 89b in 500 at auction last fall.
@NJC are you the lucky winner who purchased the Heym 89B at RIA last month? If so congrats. I seriously considered submitting a bid for it but I just could not convince myself that I “need” a 500 NE.

I have purchased a VC Azur Imperial in 450 NE earlier last year. It fits me extremely well and shoots even better. I have not had any trouble with it so have not dealt with VC or its US distributor. However @450/400 and Kevin’s personal testimonies of lack of VC’s response is both troubling and disappointing. I would expect better from such a reputable company such as @VERNEY-CARRON COLLECTION

1F1F1793-134C-4224-AA66-069C1AADA1CE.jpeg
0E5F2636-28EC-4BB1-847F-1A5C5B6E6CB4.jpeg
571DAB43-854A-4AC9-B7B3-3E83A1AD82A8.jpeg
5FCEF7A3-C216-4AE0-8E24-4671F0068A1E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@yhc Yes, that was me. I almost didn’t bid either and I honestly wasn’t expecting to win, just threw out what I thought was a very low bid and was surprised to get the note that I won. The gun is better than advertised so I’m pretty happy.

Your VC is gorgeous and great shooting!!!!

I can't speak to the other Heym's but, my 375H&H model is light and easy to carry, mount and, swing on target.

If it had the 'sex appeal' of the V-C, I'd sell my other three and replace them with Heym's! What can I say, I'm pretty flexible with an attractive woman but, those French rifles... :love:

I won't say no to another Heym Fräulein though! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Beautiful Daniel. I am rather partial to unadorned rifles, let the form speak for itself, like the Ruger No1. Tha plain Heym 89B has a certain purity of line, sort of Art Deco. Man. I would love one!
A98D4B97-47BE-40C5-9CF8-8A90CC42ED16.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg