Hey from St Louis

Hello and congrats! You’re going to have a great time!!!

Hello Drywaller44,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH. Congrats on your upcoming safari! Planning is half the fun!

How’s it going everybody? I’ve been researching on the forums for awhile now and figured I’d actually join up now that I’ve decided to go on a hunt to South Africa. I’ll be going with Game4Africa safaris for 8 full hunting days for plains game on the first week of May 2023 and I can’t wait. Wik the outfitter has been great to work with so far. He’s quick to respond to all of my questions, which has been a lot since I’m a first timer.
I’m just a construction worker that has never hunted outside of Missouri but Africa has always interested me since I was a kid. Thanks to a few podcasts that I’ve been listening to and this forum, it has made me comfortable enough to make this trip of a lifetime.
One thing I’m really interested in is learning about each species of plains game before I go over there. If any of you could recommend a book or link an article that would help me I’d appreciate it. I have ordered The Perfect Shot 2 already.
Welcome! I was wondering if you could tell me about St. Louis? I applied to some jobs up there, but I have no idea what it is like!

Welcome to AH. Congratulations on booking safari number one. There is nothing like a first safari.
You’ve come to the right place for info on hunting Africa.

Welcome! I was wondering if you could tell me about St. Louis? I applied to some jobs up there, but I have no idea what it is like!
I'm moving as far from St. Louis as humanly possible the day I retire. That's what St. Louis is like.... cheers

That bad, huh?
I mean like any city there are some nice things and places. There are some good restaurants and a few nice cigar bars etc. But crime is out of control, and the city is getting worse and it's run like shit like most big cities these days, very liberal.

I'm a cop and I work on the Illinois side, its almost as bad over here. I don't go to Stl a lot, but when I do I always have a few pistols on me.

I mean like any city there are some nice things and places. There are some good restaurants and a few nice cigar bars etc. But crime is out of control, and the city is getting worse and it's run like shit like most big cities these days, very liberal.

I'm a cop and I work on the Illinois side, its almost as bad over here. I don't go to Stl a lot, but when I do I always have a few pistols on me.
The city of St Louis isn’t great but what big city is. While the city of St Louis is run by liberals and has parts that you wouldn’t want to go to, mainly north of highway 70, the surrounding counties and the state as a whole is very nice. You couldn’t pay me enough to live on the Illinois side of the river where the entire state is controlled by Chicago. I do typically avoid going to St Louis at night but have never had an issue working there during the day or going to Cardinals games or restaurants in the evenings.

The city of St Louis isn’t great but what big city is. While the city of St Louis is run by liberals and has parts that you wouldn’t want to go to, mainly north of highway 70, the surrounding counties and the state as a whole is very nice. You couldn’t pay me enough to live on the Illinois side of the river where the entire state is controlled by Chicago. I do typically avoid going to St Louis at night but have never had an issue working there during the day or going to Cardinals games or restaurants in the evenings.
I agree pretty much. I'm only in IL still because it pays well and I'm getting close to being done. IL sucks too, basically east California.....I usually hunt in MO, its a beautiful state once you're out of the city.

I'm not really a fan of any city at this point, I want to live in the woods. But if you like cites then stay out of the shit areas and you'll probably be ok. Cheers

Hi Captain. I have lived in St. Louis County all my life. The first thing you need to know is that there is a HUGE difference between St. Louis City and St. Louis County. First of all, the City isn’t actually part of the County…thanks to an 1876 referendum. You can learn a lot about the City by reading violent crime reporting. It’s a nightmare in north city and the violence is spreading into the downtown area. All the usual causes. Social justice obsessed prosecuting attorney. Underfunded and under-supported police. Flight of capital and brains out of the City. The County, on the other hand, is largely safe and livable. The cost of living is low. School districts are mostly solid and functional. I’ve had opportunities to move, but it’s too nice and comfortable herein the County.

That is how New Orleans is right now. Haven't visited but once in the last 2 years.

Reactions: 503
Hi Captain. I have lived in St. Louis County all my life. The first thing you need to know is that there is a HUGE difference between St. Louis City and St. Louis County. First of all, the City isn’t actually part of the County…thanks to an 1876 referendum. You can learn a lot about the City by reading violent crime reporting. It’s a nightmare in north city and the violence is spreading into the downtown area. All the usual causes. Social justice obsessed prosecuting attorney. Underfunded and under-supported police. Flight of capital and brains out of the City. The County, on the other hand, is largely safe and livable. The cost of living is low. School districts are mostly solid and functional. I’ve had opportunities to move, but it’s too nice and comfortable herein the County.
Thanks for that response! From what I have read so far, outside the city core is pretty nice. Especially the further out you go. Consensus being not to live in the city or the Illinois side.

I agree pretty much. I'm only in IL still because it pays well and I'm getting close to being done. IL sucks too, basically east California.....I usually hunt in MO, its a beautiful state once you're out of the city.

I'm not really a fan of any city at this point, I want to live in the woods. But if you like cites then stay out of the shit areas and you'll probably be ok. Cheers
Yea there is a reason why I live out here in Troy Mo and just go to St Louis for work. Doug is right about the county though, it’s completely different than the city, although I still prefer to be out in the country.

Yea there is a reason why I live out here in Troy Mo and just go to St Louis for work. Doug is right about the county though, it’s completely different than the city, although I still prefer to be out in the country.
I used to live in Chicago, I so I guess using that as a comparison Stl is a lot better haha.... I'm already looking at farms/properties out of state. Can't wait to go

I used to live in Chicago, I so I guess using that as a comparison Stl is a lot better haha.... I'm already looking at farms/properties out of state. Can't wait to go
I bet man, having a decent amount of land is definitely a long term goal of mine. I hope you make that farm happen sooner rather than later so you can start enjoying it. At the rate land is going up we’re all going to need to be millionaires to own anything.

I bet man, having a decent amount of land is definitely a long term goal of mine. I hope you make that farm happen sooner rather than later so you can start enjoying it. At the rate land is going up we’re all going to need to be millionaires to own anything.
Thanks, you too. I still have a few more years for work and have to wait till jr is grown but I'm working on it. Arkansas is nice, not too $$ and tons of good hunting.

Welcome to AH, the best African website ever- great info and great people.

One book I would recommend is "The Perfect Shot: Mini Edition for Africa" by Kevin Robertson. This book is 4"x6" in size and is basically the African shooting bible. Describes many of the common animals, kill zones, animal skeletons and shot placement.

Fits nicely in your day pack.

Best of luck on your hunt !

Welcome to AH and congrats on booking your trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowell37R8

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH