Help needed

The maker is going to be a young British gun maker who did his apprenticeships at Purdy and WR

Ian is a real gem and has two of my rifles at the moment, one of which is going to be rebarreled to 458 Lott. His work is sublime- I had the pleasure of examining his recent 9.3x62 which was modelled on a London best of yesteryear.

I chose to build a .500 Jeffery...on a shoestring actually.. I had a ZKK 602 action, bought a laminated stock for a song and got hold of a .50 cal. machinegun barrel that my smith turned down...recoil reduser in the butt and some lead shot baked into the foretree..

View attachment 419400

View attachment 419401

But I chose this caliber solely with elephant hunting in mind.. Norfolk, you are velcome over to Norway to shoot it if you should be interested..

Nice gun. I’d it the original magazine used as a single stack? I just bought a 500 Jeffery project (Zastava action, chambered barrel bland and half inletted stock) I’m still on the fence about single and double stack.

Ian is a real gem and has two of my rifles at the moment, one of which is going to be rebarreled to 458 Lott. His work is sublime- I had the pleasure of examining his recent 9.3x62 which was modelled on a London best of yesteryear.
I'm popping in to see him on Monday I'll hi to him from you.
It was that 9.3 that drew me over to him at the game fair

Nice gun. I’d it the original magazine used as a single stack? I just bought a 500 Jeffery project (Zastava action, chambered barrel bland and half inletted stock) I’m still on the fence about single and double stack.
For a Jeffrey it has to be single stack. That's the original design and it just works.

My proposition :
.500 Jeffery on a BRNO ZKK602 action with a 24 inch hexagonal Douglas barrel and a French walnut classic stock .

Well i popped in to see him today. Nice workshop and picked out a nice stock blank. Lets see where this goes

Norfolk Shooter, the "smith" you've chosen seems to have some pretty good credentials. Have you been in contact with any of his previous clients? If so, what did they have to say about him?

If you have an urge to rattle your fillings, do it with style. Go with the 500 Jeffery.

Consider this the definitive answer.

Norfolk Shooter, the "smith" you've chosen seems to have some pretty good credentials. Have you been in contact with any of his previous clients? If so, what did they have to say about him?
I spent an hour or so talking to his former colleges at Purdeys and non of them even eluded to him being a bad egg. But in shot no I havnt spoken to any of his clients as 90% of his work is dont for the trade and other high end makers such as Boxall & Edminson to name but one

If you have an urge to rattle your fillings, do it with style. Go with the 500 Jeffery.

Consider this the definitive answer.
Im lucky in that I have no fillings and still have all my teeth (minus the 2 top wisdom teeth).

There has been a development!!! The Smith cant get a 500j barrel in time for my hunt next year. However he has been offered a 505 gibbs actioned barrel from another reputable maker. Im rather hoping its on a double square bridge action. Failing that we might be able to put a double sq bridge action on. And if that dont work I MIGHT end up with a 450 Rigby made by him

Expensive choices, but choices nonetheless. Good luck and progress photos please.
once everything is in place I shall be starting a new thread on the build

Nothing wrong with the 450 Rigby.

There has been a development!!! The Smith cant get a 500j barrel in time for my hunt next year. However he has been offered a 505 gibbs actioned barrel from another reputable maker. Im rather hoping its on a double square bridge action. Failing that we might be able to put a double sq bridge action on. And if that dont work I MIGHT end up with a 450 Rigby made by him
My .500 Jeffrey is on my old BRNO ZKK 602 action, which I bought as a .375 H&H in 1971. Fortunately it came equipped with the pop-up receiver sight in the rear integral scope mount base, so ther was no need for open sights on the barrel.
It employs the original magazine with no feeding problems. It has been restocked using a CZ 550 stock. The performance is similar to my wildcat .505 SRE cartridge, which propelled a 570 grain bullet at 2150 fps. The gunsmith was Californian Lon Paul. I don't find the recoil objectionable.
Lon Paul .500 Jeffery 002 (2).jpg

My .500 Jeffrey is on my old BRNO ZKK 602 action, which I bought as a .375 H&H in 1971. Fortunately it came equipped with the pop-up receiver sight in the rear integral scope mount base, so ther was no need for open sights on the barrel.
It employs the original magazine with no feeding problems. It has been restocked using a CZ 550 stock. The performance is similar to my wildcat .505 SRE cartridge, which propelled a 570 grain bullet at 2150 fps. The gunsmith was Californian Lon Paul. I don't find the recoil objectionable.View attachment 420142
Thats a nice rifle there. Im just thinking about having something special is all
1629991958346.png

I have opted for the wood on the left the one on the right is too Germanic/European for a Brit like me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg