Hello from Herve, Bordeaux, France, dreaming of Cape Buffalo safari in mother of mankind

herve747

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
South Africa, Australia, Spain, Turkey, Hungary
Hello,

I am a 46 year old french hunter. I started to hunt at the age of 36 when I settled in the hunting area of Bordeaux, France.

Since I started to hunt and kill game (roedeer, deer, wild boar) I could feel the emotion and adrenaline of my hunting ancestors flowing in my veins. And I feel deeply in connection with all the fathers and sons who have lived and died before me since the dawn of ages, and made it possible that I am living and hunting now. So as my son.

Each time I go hunting, I feel connected to this line of men and hunters. And I thank them and honor them.

Mankind was born in Africa, so my ancestors were, and now I feel the appeal of Africa and I will go on a safari next year or the year after, with my son and my girlfriend, who are also hunters. The general idea would be to make a first safari with warthogs, then another one with antelopes and warthog so as to be ready for my ultimate hunter dream, a Cape Buffalo safari. Do you think it is a sound approach? I do not feel confortable with hunting a Cape Buffalo for a first safari.

I found a great deal of information on this forum. Thank you all.

Since I am a blaser fan (my first rifle was a Blaser R93 offroad in 7x64, own a Blaser Express in 9.3x74R), I have ordered a Blaser R8 professional success in 9.3x62 caliber, with a semi-weight barrel, for both driven hunt in France and safari in Africa.

From the info I found on the forum, I have already short-listed and bought the following 9.3x62 cartridges:
Sakko Powerhead 258 gr with the Barnes bullet
Blaser CDP 286 gr
Barnes VOR-TX 286 gr
Norwa Swit A Frame 250 gr
I intend to test each of them for best shot placement and keep the one that will yield the best results with the semi-weight barrel of the R8. What do you think of this approach?

Then I will hunt and practice with this rifle and round, in order to prepare for my safari.

I will keep you posted !

Best regards.

Hervé
Bordeaux, France

Welcome to AH. Many choose to go on a plains game hunt before they go for a buffalo. Pick out 4 or more plains game animals to focus on and go for it. If you can spend 10 days then do it. A week goes by too fast. Good luck. Bruce

Herve

Welcome to AH

So you are in the planning steps for Your first safari with your GF and son...:)

For your first Safari, some plains game go along with the Warthog, you could and probably should consider some additional plains game to go add to your trophy list.

Like, Impala, zebra, kudu, eland, Duiker, hartebeest, wildebeest, blesbuck, bushbuck, bushpig,& nyala. And there many more that could be added to the list depending on the safari country of your choice.

Now for countries for your first Safari: there are Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and South Africa. They all have the pluses and negatives.

I would suggest that you go with a 10 day family safari and pick South Africa and go after: Warthog, bush pig, Impala, red hartebeest, blue or black wildebeest.

I would find a good PH from our (AH) forum and be flexible in the animals taken. 10 Days would give the 3 for you a very good chance at some great memories and trophy's.:rolleyes:

Welcome to AH Hervé! As others have already said pick out 4 or 5 animals even if small ones to get the feel of Africa and I to recommend at less 10 days for your safari. My first was 7 hunting days the second was 8 hunting days and the one I have planned for 2013 is 12 hunting days they are never long enough if your hunting with the right outfitter and way to long if you are not so do your research and plan well. Good luck on your Safari. btw Feel free to post some of the pics of animals that you and your son and Girlfriend have taken.

Welcome to AH and the continuing of the hunting adventure.

Bon chance with planning.

Welcome to AH Herve! Let us know what you end up booking and enjoy the planning process!

Welcome to AH Herve, a quarter of the fun is the planning and anticipation of your hunt. You will love it no matter what you choose to do.

Welcome to the forum, Hervé !

Welcome Herve...only a guy like me would plan a buffalo hunt on my first safari...but my Mom always said I did things backwords. Oh well....welcome to the site and seems like you have an excellent plan.

Welcome Hereve!
Plan on no less than 8 days hunting your first time. It goes by way too fast. Plan 4 or 5 plains game animals. Very good possibility of getting them. South Africa or Namibia should be seriously considered as your first destination. You may be able to get to either one just a easy from where you live.
Learn the differences of the hunting in each country and make your choice. Each is different, each is fun. Your rifle/cartrirdge choice is fine. Ask all the questions you need answers to right here on this forum. There are no stupid questions here. The regulars here are more than willing to help you in any way they can. You will find that this is the most informative and friendly forum on the web.

Welcome to the forum Herve747.... We hunt with a good amount of french people every year!

Hope you enjoy the forum and good luck with planning your safari!

Best regards,

Jacques

Welcome to AH Herve! Good luck with all the planning and keep the questions coming, I am sure you have lots.
Happy hunting!

Thanks Bruce for the welcome and the advice.
Herv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg