AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
RMEF, DU, SCI, NRA
I've been lurking in the shadows for a little while and decided it was time to join. I'll be going to South Africa for my first Africa trip in late February, looking for plains game animals with my brother (his first Africa trip as well). Once we booked a trip I started looking around on here occasionally and looking at some of the 'shot placement' info I found from this site. I've always enjoyed hunting and fishing, but hadn't been that interested in hunting Africa, then I became friends with a guy who has hunted Africa numerous times and in several countries. After hearing his stories and admiring his trophy room, I decided it was time to get off the fence and hunt Africa. The hunt is booked, airfare is purchased, I've arranged a gun service to speed up getting through customs, I've been practicing off of a standing tripod and getting more excited than 7 year old anticipating Christmas. Now, with less than 2 months before we leave, I'm trying to make sure everything is covered and we go prepared. Any suggestions of what gets overlooked and should or should NOT go, etc., etc. would be appreciated. I'm hoping to have some photos to share in March!

welcome and enjoy this great site hunting4sanity .
it sounds as thought you've been thourough in your planning so far ,mate .well done
will you be staying in jbourg before or after your hunt ?
where abouts are you hunting ?
and with whom?
what are your top twenty five animals you wish to hunt this African adventure ?
theres always someone one here that can help you with any question or hiccup you have .
enjoy your time hunting in Africa

Welcome to the forum!

I am also going on my first trip in February. I feel the same way - it is like a child waiting for Christmas!

I look forward to see photos of your trophies.

Welcome into the light on AH.

Look forward to your hunt report and pictures.

Who are you hunting with? and what are you hunting?

If you are only going for a week, unpack half the bag of cloths you likely packed.

Welcome to AH, hunting4sanity!

Welcome to AH hunting4sanity! Glad you pulled the trigger on us!

Welcome to the forum, hunting4sanity!
All the best with your upcoming trip. I have no doubt you will get bitten by the African bug and planning a return trip before you get back.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Good luck on your safari!! My first hunt was Namibia 09 and I started thinking about the return trip on the flight home.Have fun and shoot straight..

Welcome to AH hunting4sanity! Enjoy your hunt and we'll be waiting for the report when you get back.

I'll be hunting with Kido Safaris, Henk Brink, so I'll be traveling through Joberg but just overnight and then on to Richards Bay. bluey asked what my top 25 choices would be in African game, I'm not sure I can even name 25, but if I shoot that many I'll be a single man again and working for Henk to pay off my debt! I'm very interested in Kudu, Gemsbuck, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, Impala, Springbuck, Nyala and at the same time very open to Zebra, Bushbuck, Waterbuck, Black Wildebeest, Blesbuck, Bush Pig, etc. If the animals are around and I'm shooting decent, I'm pretty wide-open to enjoying about whatever comes my way. I've heard the wildebeests, kudu and gemsbuck can be pretty tough critters. I'm planning on using my 300RUM and 180 gr Accubonds, I know it's plenty of rifle for some of the smaller game, but that is most likely what I'll be bringing. What are your opinions on hunting with muzzle brakes? I've never hunted with a brake on my 300RUM, but I have used one at the range, I like what it does for recoil but the bark is pretty loud.

im big fan of the 300 rum also mate,
mines got a brake ,floated and glassed bedded and the trigger is set at a crisp 3lbs.
its my firearm of choice when backpack hunting our samba deer down here .not that l get many good walks in the Australian bush at the moment .
mine likes barnes ttsx 180 s.
cant get any barnes projectiles down here at the moment .
where will you be staying overnight in j/bourg ?

bluey, right now I don't remember the name of where we'll be staying in Johannesburg. The friend who got me interested in Africa, highly recommended using a travel agent he had used and knew personally, Annelise DuBose, so she has arraigned most of the details. Would you recommend keeping the brake on for hunting? I've gotten mixed feelings as to rather or not the PH's and trackers are fine with brakes or prefer un-braked rifles due to the noise.

mate they are going to hate the brake !!!
but they would prefer you to use a firearm that you use well than one that you don't use so great .
ask your p.h
l don t use mine while local hunting ,purely for this reason ,and the fact that half the samba deer shots range from 30 to 130 metres .
l use mine for the longer shots ,whilst glassing big country .because it fitted with a 6.5 -20 zoom scope .
the truth is lve never fired my 300 ultra mag with out the brake .

Welcome to the best website on the net!
Take what bluey says carefully as he is usually sea sick (he spends most of his time on a boat) BUT he is usually always correct in his advice! :)
Your first 3 days are what I call "sensory overload" when in Africa. Your caliber choice is fine and no they won't be happy to see the brake but you can use it. On my first hunt I went with the idea of 8 animals I came back with 13-plan accordingly$$$$$.
DON'T over-pack on clothes, your laundry will be done every day. What you wear over and 2 changes no more.
I travel with a day pack that has my binos, personal meds and toiletries, watch cap and gloves. I wear my hunting jacket and my hunting boots ( I carry moccasins in the day pack to change into on the airplane). This way if nothing shows up I'm able to hunt with a borrowed rifle. Just a precaution, as your luggage will in all probability be there with you. I also bring several 14 to 18" inflatable beach balls on board. I blow one up part way and use it for a foot rest. It helps lots to raise the feet off the floor.
Also to give a couple away to kids in camp. Carry your passport and papers in an around the neck pouch INSIDE YOUR SHIRT, not outside like some travelers do.
now read my signature and enjoy your trip!

Welcome to AH. We can always use another fanatic on here!

Bluey... Top 25? Really? You are starting to think like me and that's not necessarily a good thing! LOL

Welcome to AH and wish you the best on your hunt !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.