Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI and PHASA
Hunted
South Africa and Zambia
Hi to everyone we have had some pretty good discussions lately, the way a hunt should be conducted and how big a property should be in order to perform a fair chase hunt.

Now I would like to ask the question do we have rights as hunters as well?

When I ask this question I take in to consideration the fact that everyone seems to fight for something, animal rights, human rights or the right to vote. Lion hunting will most certainly close in South Africa due to a bad rep and yes everything that happened in the captive bread lion industry was not right but the problem is that that it was a case of a few spoiling it for many. There is talk of Botswana closing hunting it is far from closing but it is actually a threat in the future.

So basically what I am getting at is where are our rights as hunters do we not have the right to also enjoy our sport and heritage?
I mean if certain tribes are protected and they are allowed to hunt even if it were to be in the traditional way and far less successful than the modern day hunter, do we not have a historical part in nature as well and should those traditions not also be protected as well as respected.

There are some problems in the hunting industry yes and eliminating them would be difficult but possible if we all stand together but surely we contribute to conservation ass well and in my opinion play a very important role in the management of game. I think everyone that is green might be looking at the negative things instead of taking the time to realize that we as hunters might be part of the solution and not the problem?

Louis,

Speak to hunters, we can help to identify problems and rectify them...and true; we DEFINITETLY must elimate all those that gives us hunters bad publicity...

.....Yes we as hunters should & do have rights! That's why I belong to SCI & actively go to meetings & forums in our local & State to stand up for our rights! Yes there are a few bad apples in the industry that must be weeded out , but one can say that in everything!
.....The biggest obstacle is getting the hunters in huge numbers to band together and make their voices heard. Most figure some one else will do it , so they do nothing! I was that way myself years back, but after not seeing the results I wanted - I got my dead ass off the couch & found time for the things that are important to me & the next generations of hunters! I belonged to SCI & the NRA at the time , but finally I woke up & started doing my part! That is what we all have to do - is get people involved. Doing a little is better than nothing! If we don't figure it out soon... It will probably be to late as it seems the Tree Huggers have more money & time than they need to pass legislation on any matter that makes them Happy!

I would like to think we have rights. Since we support wildlife conservation as hunters more than anyone group on the planet. But my cup is half empty. I have seen our rights disappear as fast as you can say....what happen.

I think our society is so far removed from the hunter/gather big picture, that it scares me to death.

Does that I mean I've given up. No, it just means I have to pick my battles more carefully and do a lot of educating to people that hunting is a good thing. It is health for the environment.

The one thing that really bothers me...is that people think when you stop hunting the wildlife thrives and they all live happily ever after. Ask the tigers of India, the wildlife of Kenya, the polar bears of the arctic (Yes, I realize hunting is still going on), and Black rhinos of Southern Africa. When wildlife has a value it thrives.

Enysse once again you know what you’re talking about great to hear those words.

You understand what it is all about:thumb:

Enysse has mentioned education and it is indeed the key point in this issue. We need to educate the masses of well intentioned but misinformed. No one else is going to do it for us.

Sadly hunters are no better and no worse than anyone else. Far too many hunters do not truly understand their roll in conservation and what was done in decades past by so many others. As a group we are also prone to displaying the same apathy and complacency that is the norm in our society today.

The average individual in society does not hunt and does not own firearms. They are several generations removed from farming and other rural occupations and lifestyles that require getting your hands dirty. They grew up on a diet of Walt Disney, Greenpeace, the Sea Shepherd Society and PETA. Their music of choice has been Punk, Hip Hop and Rap. They live in societies where it is politically correct to turn their noses up at eating red meat and wearing fur, but having a prescription for anti-depressants is a fashion statement. Top picks on TV for evening entertainment are American Idol, Survivor and the Biggest Loser.

These people are not going to miraculously come to the conclusion that hunting is an integral part of conservation on their own. We need to teach them. We are at a crossroads where a failure on our part to be proactive in this regard during the next decade, will irrevocably seal our fate.

Heck yeah we have rights. Here in Idaho it's illegal (and enforced) to interfere with a lawfully conducted hunt. A few activist types have been removed and hauled off to jail. :)

We're very fortunate here to still live in a place where gun ownerwhip and hunting is the norm.

Good stuff.

This is a great topic and there have been some excellent points made about education, the true role of hunting in conservation, etc.

Let me throw one more log on the fire: One of most impactful things that we can do to preserve hunting rights is to GET MORE WOMEN INVOLVED IN THE SPORT. At first blush, this may seem simplistic or a token effort. It is not. Here's why:

1. Women make up half the population, yet they are a small (but growing) fraction of hunters.
2. Women have half of the votes. Many elections are won and lost based on small margins. Keeping "anti's" out of office is a critical factor in maintaining hunting rights and women's votes are needed to win elections.
3. A large (don't know the %) fraction of "anti's" are women. Why? Too many of them don't know / have been excluded from hunting and don't know the joy or value of the sport.
4. Women influence other women. Don't believe it? Does your wife (even if she is a conservative hunter) watch Oprah? More women who hunt are a more credible source of information to women who might potentially become hunters.

Like I said, just another log on the fire of ideas. I'm personally convinced that the future of hunting will be heavily influenced by the participation of women in the sport.

- browningbbr

I did my part. Got a friends wife into hunting. My wife is an avid hunter. One daughter is a hunter, the other does not hunt but is not against it and eats game meat.

No my wife does not watch Oprah and thinks the show sucks.......she also thinks most of the 'ladies' shows do a disservice to women in general and are part of the reason so many men view women as they do.

Her favorite shirt says "Yes I have PMS, and I have a gun." ;)

The best educational show on the outdoor channel is "Leupold's Big Game Profiles". A lot of the other shows don't show the average person about the role "antihunters, politicians, conservationists, hunters and the person that has neutral view on hunting" have on the environment.

Most people in the U.S. and Africa watch the "The Animal Planet" channel. That channel is slanted!

Now that PETA and all the other antihunting groups banded together and joined forces instead of bicker to one another...they have made a lot of headway.

SCI has tried the education in the summer....educating teachers at a camp in Wyoming. But it is just a drop in the bucket. I agree with Skyline, hunters should be educating everyone the value of hunting and there role in wildlife management. Just be sure to do it in a polite and organized matter. Don't start shouting and getting in a fight over arguements.

Fight the good fight. And please those of you that are married get your wife on your side or your son or daughter.

Browningbbr excellent point I would encourage every client who comes over for a hunt with me to bring his wife along. This is very important and not enough emphasis is placed on the matter.

And by the why guys some of the best shots I have ever hunted with were woman.

Educating ourselves as hunters is the single most important tool that is available today it gives us the opportunity to learn more about the species we hunt and thus results in a greater knowledge of how to successfully manage the wildlife populations.

There is no reason for us as hunters not to stick together and work on the problem areas in the hunting industry there is a lot to be done however I feel that it is paramount that we do eliminate the fly by night guy's who have nothing to lose, there are a lot of Hunting Outfitters that work tirelessly on their Name, property and game management and it would be a shame if a few bad apples would spoil it for us all.

I have started to think about the matter of education in a bit more detail and it is largely for that reason why I donated the free hunt. This is one of the first steps to take time out and relate with clients on the matter of what we have to be thankful for and why it is worth protecting. The more people we get involved in the hunting industry the larger the chances of forming a community that stands together and share views and ideas on a great forum like this.

So I say speak up and stand together and we might protect our rights as hunters.;)

Browningbbr, good on you for mentioning about getting women involved but we should never forget our kids. They are brainwashed by the greenies with all these animation programs on tv and movies like Brother Bear, Dumbo, Bambie and lots more. In these movies kids get the wrong impression about the behaviour of wild animals and the hunter always play the role of the bad guy.

What we should do is to get our kids involved in hunting and instead of making dvd's of big game hunting we should make a few that involves women and kids.

Yes at the moment we still have rights as hunters but it is no secret that they want to take our rights away from us and by sitting back and watching them will only give them what they want. We should stand together and promote good ethical hunting.

I got my wife into hunting when we started dating 12 years ago. She is not real active - because of a health disablity - but likes upland hunting. So I started to do my part.

We then had 5 children - all to young to go afield but they are getting exposed to hunting on a regualr basis. Perfect story to illustrate the point. PLease indulge me - you will like this story - its adorable.

2 years ago I had neck surgery and was home for 4 months in the fall. I would watch the TVs on hunting - it is all I had. My wife turned the TV on and there were turkeys on the screen - which my daughter loved. Not knowing any better - my wife let it stay on and within seconds, the shot rang out and the bird fell. Fortunatly it was a father hunting with his daughter. My daughter did not seem upset so we let it go.

About 3 weeks later it was Thanksgiving time and we had to go get a turkey. My daughter asked if I would take her - not mommy? Sure I said. About 10 mintes later she came back bundled in every piece of clothing she had - she was just about to be 4. I said it was not that cold to go to the store.

She looked at me with an indigant look and said "daddy, you do not get turkeys at the store, papa Charley and I see them back there all the time (pointing to the cut corn fields behind my house), we should go there."

I did not know what to do. So I called a Phaseant Hunting club locally and explained the situation. They put a fat old roaster out and when we got there, we put a sneak on it around the edge of some corn. It was intentionally put out in the open and I shot it with a 28 ga shotgun.

She was so proud she carried it back to the truck over her back just like the girl she saw on TV. Blood all over her little pink coat, hat and gloves - but who cares - it was the cutest thing I have ever seen. Even now as she is headed towards 6, she wants to know when she can go hunting with me.

Next year she can tag along for certain. And I have 4 more coming right behind her - they are the future of hunting! It is in my opinion women and children (boys and girls alike) are where our efforts need to be focussed.

Very good point and well done dad.:thumb:

Bring the kids over to Africa as soon as they are old enough.

Cheers Louis

[QUOTE =Cleathorn;7209]... She was so proud she carried it back to the truck over her back just like the girl she saw on TV. Blood all over her little pink coat, hat and gloves - but who cares - it was the cutest thing I have ever seen. Even now as she is headed towards 6, she wants to know when she can go hunting with me...[/QUOTE]

Cleathorn good for you!!!

By doing this and ethical hunting we are absolutely fighting the battle for our rights. It is important that kids understand the differance between hunting and killing. I have two daughters myself and due to my working circumstances they get a lot of hunting exposure. It important to give children the facts and the do's and dont's regarding hunting and we should go out of our way to make it interresting and fun for them.

Keep up the good work and bring your daughter to South Africa one day.

1287d1259430333-do-we-have-rights-hunters-well-025.jpg

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mean to take away from this post, and I wish I had more to say concerning the subject but I really am lost on words without just saying I fully agree with what's been shared here... But I had to post and say what a pig of a Warthog!! Sorry, hope I didn't take away from it too much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg