Delta Update

At the risk of looking like a complete idiot, I need some clarification. We were supposed to go last July and were rescheduled for a trip this July.
July 17 is the day we are supposed to fly on Delta. I have heard all kinds of reports as to whether that will happen or not. Is there anything definite at this point? I am very confused,so a simple layman’s explanation would be appreciated.
I am in the same boat with my group leaving July 24 on Delta. We are watching closely and of course hoping all will be good by then. We will work with our travel agent if we have to reroute. We will find the best option and go on safari with our rifles. Now they are rerouting Delta on KLM through Amsterdam. If we have to do this our travel agent will get the necessary gun paperwork in order for us to go this way.
We have yet to book our JNB-PLZ flights as there have just been so many changes.
As of now DL204 is cancelled through May 31.
Philip

If heading to Zimbabwe the problem with Delta is you can't make the connection if you are coming from Victoria Falls. Have to overnight, go to Cape Town on Airlink, charter or hope BA or someone else arrives JNB earlier in the day.

Harare is no problem. Bulawayo would be tight

There seems to be plenty of seats in Business One, but I don't believe Delta offers an upgrade unless you are Diamond, if they do please let me know how.

Originally was going Delta but went with United. If they change going to Emirates but will always consider Delta. Have plenty of E-Credits and miles.
Is there a late flight to HRE?

What is are the best flights when traveling with a rifle from the USA to destination Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe?

If one has to overnight in South Africa does the rifle have to cleared/temporarily imported into South Africa?
Mark the trouble is that you have to do the SAPS permit just to spend the night in JNB unless there is a late flight you can connect to. I am not sure what all airlines go to Vic Falls.

Thanks Phillip!

If I connected to Bulawayo instead is it probable that the SAPS permit could be avoided?

Thanks Phillip!

If I connected to Bulawayo instead is it probable that the SAPS permit could be avoided?

Just keep in mind, I am speaking from experience, if you miss that connection you have a bit of an issue with your rifles. My luggage ended up staying in a police station and when I got them a few days later, I had fewer things than I started with.

What is are the best flights when traveling with a rifle from the USA to destination Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe?

If one has to overnight in South Africa does the rifle have to cleared/temporarily imported into South Africa?
Depends on where you are flying from but if you can make the connection in Chicago or Washington on Untied then Ethiopian is the way to go. They price the ticket with the United leg. You avoid JNB.

Second choice would be based on where you are going in Zim. Emirates is my favorite as I visit friends in Harare. Qatar has some great deals so they would be a second choice but you will hit JNB, last I looked they arrive early enough that you can make most connections out and late enough you can make connections in from Zim.

We went United due to Delta changes. Where very good rates and timing suited my wife better than other airlines. Plus the rate was much less at the time than the others. Ethiopian right now has some great rates for certain dates.

For those traveling with groups, a SO or hunting buddy, what's your game plan if one of you tests positive and has to quarantine in an African country? Leave them there and go ahead or stay behind?
This is a gotcha, I haven't seen anyone mention but it needs to be addressed. Going to cross post this on the appropriate thread(s).

Much less than I paid for July
I was booked for 2020 at $2,100 for the upgrade. 2019 was $1,900. 2018, $1,750, etc. Just seems over inflated. JMO

I was booked for 2020 at $2,100 for the upgrade. 2019 was $1,900. 2018, $1,750, etc. Just seems over inflated. JMO
I paid $3400 for Premium Select for late July. ☹️ Should have waited longer to book with all the uncertainty.

For those traveling with groups, a SO or hunting buddy, what's your game plan if one of you tests positive and has to quarantine in an African country? Leave them there and go ahead or stay behind?
This is a gotcha, I haven't seen anyone mention but it needs to be addressed. Going to cross post this on the appropriate thread(s).
Our entire group (4 of us) is either vaccinated or in the process of completing vaccines before we leave so hopefully that isn’t an issue for us. I see what you’re saying, it could be a sticky wicket!

Our entire group (4 of us) is either vaccinated or in the process of completing vaccines before we leave so hopefully that isn’t an issue for us. I see what you’re saying, it could be a sticky wicket!
You can be vaccinated and still be a carrier and test positive. The vaccination just means you have a very good chance of not getting sick. This is a sticky wicket.

You can be vaccinated and still be a carrier and test positive. The vaccination just means you have a very good chance of not getting sick. This is a sticky wicket.

I would just have the conversation with the group. My policy always with groups I am shepherding is that once travel begins, you are old enough to be own your own. Certainly I will do all I can to help resolve situations, but not at the expense of missing flights, hunting days, etc. The same would hold true for me if I was the one in a trick, or say tested positive. I do not want to disrupt someones trip, nor do I want my own to be compromised. You can only plan/insure/prepare so much, then the training wheels gotta come off at some point. Just my 2 cents.

Israel is leading the globe in vaccinations and data analysis. The latest coming from them is that the vaccinations are much more effective than originally thought and those vaccinated have not been found to transmit the virus. Still early days but it is promising.

A Benjamin Franklin and a retest. Off you go!
Don’t forget you can do rapid test on way home.

A Benjamin Franklin and a retest. Off you go!
Don’t forget you can do rapid test on way home.

I had a friend tell me who returned about 8 days ago. When he went to get his Covid test to return. They said. “ Covid Test is $60, if you want make sure it’s Negative( with there hand held out) we can.

I had a friend tell me who returned about 8 days ago. When he went to get his Covid test to return. They said. “ Covid Test is $60, if you want make sure it’s Negative( with there hand held out) we can.
Bargain, welcome to Africa.....

Gotta love Africa!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg