Dedicated Tiny 10 rifle build

Caliber is a much smaller consideration than bullet selection. That said, I’d probably avoid anything ultra fast. Even a TTSX cause tremendous cape damage when you push it fast enough.

I shot a pronghorn once inside of 50 yards with a .257 Wby and a 100 gr TTSX. The velocity split the cape from the shoulder to the chin.

I like the idea of a .223. In that caliber you have almost infinite choices. A 50 grain TTSX at a not-to-fast velocity would be deadly.

A .308 with solids would produce about the same result. An expanded .223 is more or less going to cut the same hole as a .308 solid. :)
 
I know theOP said dontdeviate from caliber but......

I would buy a Blaser BD14 chambered in 22 Hornet/6.5×57R/20ga sorted. Many of the smaller duikers etc. Are better taken with a shotgun
 
You might look at a Savage. They’ve always had a coupe of different .223 and 22-250 twist rates for the prairie dog guys that wanted something for a specific bullet.

I shot the entire Tiny 10 using a 375. More than 1/2 of them were shot with softs not solids because that’s what I had chambered when we encountered the animal. Even the softs didn’t expand. IMO the 375 works well because it’s big and going slow. Just food for thought on your build and load development.
 
I know you asked specificly about the 223 and 6mm cm but have you put any consideration into a 22 AarC or 22 CM? Both will offer slightly more than the 223. The 6mm ARC would be another round I'd suggest looking into, not quite a 6mm CM but nipps at the heals of 243 win with significantly less powder and heavier bullets, works great on pronghorn and coyotes here state side.

My thought has always been to set up a 22 hornet or even 22 magnum for the tiny 10 partially because I have seen how aggressive high velocity rounds can be on smaller thin skinned game like coyotes, fox, and prairie dogs (closest references I currently have to work with), and partially because I like the more "classic" nature of these cartridge coupled with Africa. I don't believe either of your picks is incorrect but you will have a list of pros and cons regardless of what you choose. Pick the cons you are more comfortable dealing with.
 
I know you asked specificly about the 223 and 6mm cm but have you put any consideration into a 22 AarC or 22 CM? Both will offer slightly more than the 223. The 6mm ARC would be another round I'd suggest looking into, not quite a 6mm CM but nipps at the heals of 243 win with significantly less powder and heavier bullets, works great on pronghorn and coyotes here state side.

My thought has always been to set up a 22 hornet or even 22 magnum for the tiny 10 partially because I have seen how aggressive high velocity rounds can be on smaller thin skinned game like coyotes, fox, and prairie dogs (closest references I currently have to work with), and partially because I like the more "classic" nature of these cartridge coupled with Africa. I don't believe either of your picks is incorrect but you will have a list of pros and cons regardless of what you choose. Pick the cons you are more comfortable dealing with.
Damn you! Now I'm looking at changing calibers to the 6 ARC. Lol

First world problems.
 
Im going to have a slightly out of the box suggestion that woukd work for whatever caliber you choose.

Have two seperate loads. For longer range have one with a faster bullet for distance and slower one for close in work

Diferentiate maybe with brass vs nickle plated brass.
 
My tiny 10 setup is a Browning low wall .223 with a Leupold VX3HD 1.5-5 firedot scope (had it left over from a .375 I sold). I’m shooting Barnes factory ammo loaded with a 55 gr TSX bullet versus the TTSX. Hopefully the TSX has less expansion. I went with the 55gr versus bigger because of the slower barrel twist in the low wall wouldn’t stabilize a heavier bullet likely and in a previous thread on this topic @Philip Glass recommended this round as it was what he was using in his .223. It is a sweet shooting rifle and very accurate although I’ve yet to take it on a tiny 10 hunt. My only tiny so far was a steenbok taken with a .308 because that was what I had at the time in my hands, did the job but not pretty
 
Shot 3 of the tiny 10 with a borrowed 22 Hornet "camp gun". Ammo was PPU 40gr FMJ in the little Sako. Was actually very accurate on paper. Pretty much just put pencil hole thru the shoulder or chest with little pelt damage. Shot an East African Duiker with a 300 mag and 200gr A-frames at 75yds and the entrance was 30 caliber, and exit was dime size same with a really nice Sudan Oribi in Uganda.
 
There is only one correct answer and that’s a 22 hornet. Cutting edge bullets makes a cup point solid perfect for the job. Had a buddy do the same thing a couple years ago. It was cool.
 
I have a Tikka Ranahan in 223 that I would be very confident in taking to hunt the littlins. I'd probably use 77 gr. Hollow point Match bullets as well. The bullet expands just enough in ballistic media without leaving your trophy a mess. (From what I've seen. Not my actual experience. )
 
Here a real physics's problem with a lot of what we have to work with.

What's needed is a bullet that expands very little, but is still capable of a clean kill. That means a minima expanding or solid of sufficient weight and diameter to penetrate through the vitals.

If we have velocity above a certain point, we may have excessive pelt damage, but if velocity it to low we may have a very short range combination that lacks killing power, and none of us want to pay the Trophy fee for a Klipspringer that isn't recovered. From what I've gathered, 2500-2700fps seems to be the sweet spot.

Combine the above and what @Philip Glass recommends is probably close to the mark. The longer Barnes X bullets are easily obtained by most of us, and 223 reloading components are common and inexpensive.

The only thing that is a major problem to overcome is rifling twist. The longer Barnes X bullets in 62 grain and especially 77grain will require a fast twist at these reduced velocities to stabilize. The standard 1 turn in 12 inches, or 1 turn in 14 or 16 inches doesn't provide the spin RPM needed for stability, at least not in the velocity we are talking about here. A 1 turn in 9 inch twist (1/9) will possibly work with the 62 grain, but a 1 turn in 7 would be the better option for the 77 grain, and wouldn't hurt the 62 grain one bit.

Every barrel maker I'm aware of would be overjoyed to build a 223 Remington barrel with a 1 turn in 7 twist threaded for your action. Were I scratch building a Tiny 10 rifle, this is the way I'd go.
 
Years ago I seen a .222 over a 3" magnum 20 gauge full choke, no idea of the make or model, that seems pretty nifty for a tiny 10 setup
Savage made several O/U combination guns. I saw one not long ago that was 222REM/20Bore that would make a great combo with the right bullet selection.

The Savage 24V model are the ones using centerfire rifle cartridges. Most of the others are rimfire.
 
Here a real physics's problem with a lot of what we have to work with.

What's needed is a bullet that expands very little, but is still capable of a clean kill. That means a minima expanding or solid of sufficient weight and diameter to penetrate through the vitals.

If we have velocity above a certain point, we may have excessive pelt damage, but if velocity it to low we may have a very short range combination that lacks killing power, and none of us want to pay the Trophy fee for a Klipspringer that isn't recovered. From what I've gathered, 2500-2700fps seems to be the sweet spot.

Combine the above and what @Philip Glass recommends is probably close to the mark. The longer Barnes X bullets are easily obtained by most of us, and 223 reloading components are common and inexpensive.

The only thing that is a major problem to overcome is rifling twist. The longer Barnes X bullets in 62 grain and especially 77grain will require a fast twist at these reduced velocities to stabilize. The standard 1 turn in 12 inches, or 1 turn in 14 or 16 inches doesn't provide the spin RPM needed for stability, at least not in the velocity we are talking about here. A 1 turn in 9 inch twist (1/9) will possibly work with the 62 grain, but a 1 turn in 7 would be the better option for the 77 grain, and wouldn't hurt the 62 grain one bit.

Every barrel maker I'm aware of would be overjoyed to build a 223 Remington barrel with a 1 turn in 7 twist threaded for your action. Were I scratch building a Tiny 10 rifle, this is the way I'd go.
The barrel is going to be a Carbon Six 20" custom barrel with a 1:7 twist. That way no matter the caliber, I can shoot heavy for caliber bullets as well as the more traditional weighted bullets. As you said, the biggest issue in seeing is the velocity factor. I'm going off of Barnes factory .375 solids velocity at roughly 2500 fps since so many guys say they shoot the tiny 10 with the .375 solids. So based off of that, I'm trying to build the rifle around the bullet if you will. Looking now at the 6mm Arc off a previous suggestion since the Barnes reloading data for an 80 grain out of a gas gun is right at the velocity levels I'm looking for. So we'll see how this plays out since of course the ARC requires a non-traditional bolt face.
 
Damn you! Now I'm looking at changing calibers to the 6 ARC. Lol

First world problems.
Happy to be of assistance!

All jokes aside I have fallen in love with the 6 ARC. I absolutely love the 243 but that little ARC nipps right at the heels of the 243 when hand loaded. Throw in a 90gr CX, 95gr LRX, or even a 103 ELD-X and I'd happily hunt anything up to mule deer with that little round. I've got a lot more confidence in a 6mm on a bigger bodied critter than I do a 223 and I've seen deer fall to both.
 
This is always an interesting question. First you need to shoot behind the shoulders to keep from really messing up the pelt.mine have been shot with several different rounds.

Blue diker and sharps grysbok 22 hornet 40 gr solids
Kilpspringer 9.3x62
Common brown diker. 9.3x74
Oribi and cape grysbok 6.5 Grendel
Samara dik dik 7 RM
Steenbok 338 RCM
Red diker and suni 500/416

Since you are also looking at sptingbuck and impala size animals. In the 22 and 6mm class of rounds you will need to look at much tougher bullets that won’t expand rapidly. In my Grendel I used 120 gr hornaday gmc/cx bullets at 2550. (Customized howa mini)

Good luck with whatever you decide to dedicate to hunting the little guys. They are a rewarding experience.
 
What distances are the tiny 10 shot at?
What about a Ruger 77/357 mag?
I took 1 of 8 past 50 yards. An Oribi and he was at 150 yards. But that was my choice not getting any closer. We could have.

I suspect Klipspringer could be taken at a distance if you don't want to try a stalk. Part of the fun with the Tiny Ten is getting close.
 
Here a real physics's problem with a lot of what we have to work with.

What's needed is a bullet that expands very little, but is still capable of a clean kill. That means a minima expanding or solid of sufficient weight and diameter to penetrate through the vitals.

If we have velocity above a certain point, we may have excessive pelt damage, but if velocity it to low we may have a very short range combination that lacks killing power, and none of us want to pay the Trophy fee for a Klipspringer that isn't recovered. From what I've gathered, 2500-2700fps seems to be the sweet spot.

Combine the above and what @Philip Glass recommends is probably close to the mark. The longer Barnes X bullets are easily obtained by most of us, and 223 reloading components are common and inexpensive.

The only thing that is a major problem to overcome is rifling twist. The longer Barnes X bullets in 62 grain and especially 77grain will require a fast twist at these reduced velocities to stabilize. The standard 1 turn in 12 inches, or 1 turn in 14 or 16 inches doesn't provide the spin RPM needed for stability, at least not in the velocity we are talking about here. A 1 turn in 9 inch twist (1/9) will possibly work with the 62 grain, but a 1 turn in 7 would be the better option for the 77 grain, and wouldn't hurt the 62 grain one bit.

Every barrel maker I'm aware of would be overjoyed to build a 223 Remington barrel with a 1 turn in 7 twist threaded for your action. Were I scratch building a Tiny 10 rifle, this is the way I'd go.
I noticed Tikka was offering different twist rates in their .223's. Tempting me to set up a new one!
 
What distances are the tiny 10 shot at?
What about a Ruger 77/357 mag?
Close usually. The rifle doesn't have to be a tack driver IMO.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,424
Messages
1,575,858
Members
170,404
Latest member
DerrickRed
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top