Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Folks I purchased a couple of very nice chunks of wood from a fellow AH member a few months ago with the intent of having a stock made for one of my rifles. I have zero experience with the process and would appreciate suggestions from members who have had stocks made for your favorite rifles. I Emailed a stock maker in Missouri enquiring about possibly doing the work for me and didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.
Not sure if folks that do this are covered up in work or what.
I would like to know:
1) who did you use and the location of the business?
2) what features should I consider with respect to finish and checkering?
3) how long did it take?
4) did you send the entire rifle or just the existing stock? (Nothing wrong with stock I have)
5) anything I should be aware of? (Mistakes you made)
6) what about glass bedding? ( I know nothing about this either)
7) can you give me an idea of cost (PM me if your prefer)

Thanks in advance for suggestions and helping me to get started.

image.jpg

Thinking about doing the custom stock for the 300 WinMag on the left!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Charley,

Hawk's Gunsmithing
Anchorage, Alaska
907-562-0881

He's generally booked up so unfortunately, if he accepts the job, it will take awhile.
His stock work is tip top though.
Also, if your single shots do not always eject properly, he can fix that common issue as well.
Just my opinion but, no African rifle is complete without an oval cheek piece.

Cheers,
Paul.

Thanks @Velo Dog. Did you take the whole rifle to the guy or just send him the stock?

Folks I purchased a couple of very nice chunks of wood from a fellow AH member a few months ago with the intent of having a stock made for one of my rifles. I have zero experience with the process and would appreciate suggestions from members who have had stocks made for your favorite rifles. I Emailed a stock maker in Missouri enquiring about possibly doing the work for me and didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.
Not sure if folks that do this are covered up in work or what.
I would like to know:
1) who did you use and the location of the business?
2) what features should I consider with respect to finish and checkering?
3) how long did it take?
4) did you send the entire rifle or just the existing stock? (Nothing wrong with stock I have)
5) anything I should be aware of? (Mistakes you made)
6) what about glass bedding? ( I know nothing about this either)
7) can you give me an idea of cost (PM me if your prefer)

Thanks in advance for suggestions and helping me to get started.

I can't really take the time to answer all your questions and I'm no expert on custom stocks. I've only two rifles with custom stocks and one was bought that way. So I've only been through the process once.

But I'd give a call to Accurate Innovations. They have a great bedding system that I believe they've applied for a patent on. Below is a link to the contact information. If you call, ask for Wes, he's a great gent and can answer your questions. Please tell him I said hello if you call him.

http://accurateinnovations.com/contact/

Thanks @Velo Dog. Did you take the whole rifle to the guy or just send him the stock?

In my case, the man who made the only stock from scratch I've ever had done was, Dave Caboth who, I believe is no longer doing gun work these days (?)
I left my Mauser action with him and he built the rifle, as well as the stock, otherwise all from scratch.
The reason I recommend Andy Hawk (Hawk's Gunsmithing) here in Anchorage, is because I have seen more than one or two of his stocks, he made from blanks and they are what I would call perfect.
Likewise, he has worked on several of my rifles (metal parts) and is very honest, talented, etc.
Seems like he might have said that, he sends his stocks out for the final checkering but either way, his finished product is always a showpiece.

Thanks @PHOENIX PHIL I will give the guys you mentioned a look.

Thanks @PHOENIX PHIL I will give the guys you mentioned a look.

As I recall, the prices on their website usually include the stock. But I'd be a little surprised if they won't do stocks with wood the customer provides. Whatever the case, you'll need to talk to them to get an accurate price I would think.

Charlie, I can't answer your question directly but may have some info that will help you locate a stock maker. About five or six years ago Art nd I attended the SCI Exhibition in KC. There was a stock maker there from Wisconsin that had some real gems. He was only wanting to do custom work. Maybe you can research the vendors / suppliers that were at the shows and come up with his name.

Hi Charlie, when I was at the DSC this year I ran into a great stock/gun builder. His name is Tommy Shurley. He owns shurley brothers in Austin. He took the time to go over everything with me and my wife. It was his first show of any time but has been making stocks and Guns forever.
We are getting a pistol box I can add a pic of. This is what drew is in to his booth as he had a whole stack of them there. His price at the time was around $3k for the woodwork all bedded and floated custom stock so forth. This did not include the wood. Hopefully this helps somewhat.

IMG_0789.PNG
IMG_0790.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the better (more well recognized) stockmakers will have a backlog so be prepared to wait.

Consult the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. They have a listing of various stockmakers, those whose work is known (proven) to be good, very good.

If there's a particular style you're after, ask around ACGG. They'll know who specializes in the style of stock you seek.

Last edited:
I did a little looking for my Ruger #1 not too long back, some stock makers used their wood, some allowed you to supply it. Since that is a two piece stock not all stock makers work them. Searching by the rifle name www.treebonecarving.com pops up for #1 and #3, though they may be semi-finished. I know there's more.

Blow in AZDave's ear, talk to him nice and maybe offer him a hog hunt. It seems to me that he made stocks for several of his Ruger No. 1 (s) that is if memory serves me correctly.

Charlie, all joking aside, following C T Dolan's suggestion I looked up stockmakers in WI. The name Toby Leeds popped up. He may be the guy I spoke to at the SCI show in KC a number of years ago.

My friends both used the stock Dr. on their Kreighoff clays guns. Impeccable work, although the initial fitting almost made me cry! They would rasp the stocks(original) and build up areas with bondo until they achieved exactly what they wanted and then had him build new stocks. The ones they destroyed were prettier than anything I own!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GiuseppeMc

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you