Lets see some Kudu!

I think I meant cape??? I was told not greater as we were too far south. Does that seem right?
Many consider the Cape Kudu an extension of the Southern Greater Kudu. Rowland War for example doesn’t have a Cape Kudu category.

Others with more experience/knowledge can correct me but I think it was an outfitter invented term/species to get clients to hunt other areas and species. Kinda like Golden Gemsbok, or colored Impala, and Springbok.

60 1/2 with Dalton & York in Zimbabwe 2023
IMG_1821.png

Many consider the Cape Kudu an extension of the Southern Greater Kudu. Rowland War for example doesn’t have a Cape Kudu category.

Others with more experience/knowledge can correct me but I think it was an outfitter invented term/species to get clients to hunt other areas and species. Kinda like Golden Gemsbok, or colored Impala, and Springbok.
I would consider it an extension like you said but still a subspecies because there are enough differences. You can note they are darker colored with less stripes and have more pronounced brown socks compared to normal greater kudu. These are natural characteristics. You can see a lot of the bigger “cape” kudu now though have standard greater kudu genetics bred in and have lost some of those traits for better horn size than the average cape kudu.

according to Dr. Kevin Robertson “SCI recognizes five subspecies of greater kudu in its record books.” One of those subspecies is the cape kudu-

image.jpg

When I saw your photo I immediately thought, not lesser kudu but very
Likely cape kudu.

I wonder if anyone has ever done testing to see if the DNA is the same for the Cape kudu and the Southern Greater kudu.

They did DNA testing on brook trout here in the mountains of western North Carolina. The fisheries biologists found that the Southern Appalachian brook trout had a totally different DNA pattern than the typical brook trout found in the north. The more isolated the stream, the more likely the native Southern Appalachian brook trout or specks as they are called by the natives.

My 3 best ones... or 4 ? A question of "geographically distinct populations" ?

Kudu Eastern Cape 2018 - compressed.jpg

Eastern Cape, free range, 2018

Kudu Eastern Cape 2022 - compressed.jpg

Eastern Cape, free range, 2022

Kudu Southern Greater 2022 - compressed.jpg

Southern Greater, free range, Kalahari 2022

And to complicate the question regarding sub-species, or more scientifically speaking: "geographically distinct populations", take a look at this Kudu, which the PH insisted was a "Karoo Kudu" taken in a small gully almost on top of the Sneeuberge. It is much smaller in size, although clearly fully mature, and quite interestingly, notice both the color, and how its pelt has the wholly texture of high altitude dwellers, typical of the Vaal Rhebok in Africa. I am not taking a position on whether this is, or not, a 'different' Kudu, but I must admit that the wholly pelt argument resonates...

And by the way, the PH also insisted that of all my Kudus, this is comparatively the best trophy. Maybe (?), I do not know(?), but admittedly it does look different, and I had never seen one like this before...

Kudu Karoo 2022 - compressed.jpg

Karoo (?), free range, 2022

Last edited:
My 3 best ones... or 4 ? A question of "geographically distinct populations" ?

View attachment 601539
Eastern Cape, free range, 2018

View attachment 601537
Eastern Cape, free range, 2022

View attachment 601536
Southern Greater, free range, Kalahari 2022

And to complicate the question regarding sub-species, or more scientifically speaking: "geographically distinct populations", take a look at this Kudu, which the PH insisted was a "Karoo Kudu" taken in a small gully almost on top of the Sneeuberge. It is much smaller in size, although clearly fully mature, and quite interestingly, notice both the color, and how its pelt has the wholly texture of high altitude dwellers, typical of the Vaal Rhebok in Africa. I am not taking a position on whether this is, or not, a 'different' Kudu, but I must admit that the wholly pelt argument resonates...

And by the way, the PH also insisted that of all my Kudus, this is comparatively the best trophy. Maybe (?), I do not know(?), but admittedly it does look different, and I had never seen one like this before...

View attachment 601540
Karoo (?), free range, 2022

Argh! Dang auto spellchecker !@#$%^ I obviously meant woolly !!!!!!!!!!

I think I meant cape??? I was told not greater as we were too far south. Does that seem right?
Cape would seem corect depenidng on where you were at. If the Outfittter said not greatern than yes would be Cape Kudu. Lesser kudu are only hunted in Tanzania and Ethiopia.

I wonder if anyone has ever done testing to see if the DNA is the same for the Cape kudu and the Southern Greater kudu.

They did DNA testing on brook trout here in the mountains of western North Carolina. The fisheries biologists found that the Southern Appalachian brook trout had a totally different DNA pattern than the typical brook trout found in the north. The more isolated the stream, the more likely the native Southern Appalachian brook trout or specks as they are called by the natives.
I think I remember reading something about it being done, but can’t seem to find it and might be confusing it with a different species. I know they did some DNA testing with Bushbuck comparing Cape vs Limpopo. I’m not taking one side or the other just saying Rowland Ward doesn’t recognize them as separate. I know SCI does recognize them separately, but they also recognize the color variations of Springbok which are genetically bred for the most part. Would love to see if there are a lot of DNA differences.

That said I hunted a Kudu on my 1 trip to the EC. Just like I hunted them in Namibia, Zimbabwe and every area of South Africa that I’ve hunted. Kudu like Elk get out in a pedestal by me, so I haven’t taken one on every hunt despite opportunities every hunt. Kudu might be the animal I’m most picky about in Africa. As @375Fox states there were some physical difference between the ones I posted from Limpopo and the EC, including body size and coloration like he mentioned. I’m sure I’m not alone in saying I’ve seen similar in Whitetails from within the same few mile area. Sometimes you get the real dark chocolate horned ones and then you get the lighter horned ones. Double throat patch vs single. I’ve never registered a single animal so can’t say it really matters to me. Most people don’t even know what a kudu is let alone that there are multiple subspecies.

@One Day... beautiful trophies. The wooly coat that one has is pretty cool.

Last year in southern Namibia with Frontier Safaris on their 130,000 acre game ranch. This was an old bull with heavy tooth wear.
I've taken plenty but never a really big one. Maybe some day.
1714242890498.jpeg

Beautiful bull Philip, who cares about the tape, it has a unique shape :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JosefaKraw

Latest profile posts

Handmade plaques for all kinds of African trophies. If you are interested, feel free to contact me in a message.
IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.