Considerations for rifle selection you should consider for hunting/SHTF rifle

We have 6 firearms in "his" walk in closet.
My wife and I are NRA expert in their use.
I'm becoming more and more convinced that what's going to get us killed is wasting time trying to decide WHICH firearm to use.

IMHO this thread is getting a little off track. I thought Hummer's question was a "fair" one. Should such a situation ever develop which rifle would you grab? All of his suggested considerations bring up valid concerns.
So getting back on track I'd like to offer up what I might grab and why. For me the rifle's design would have to have been battle tested. Why, because they have to work under less than optimal conditions. Which caliber is an easy choice as well, for me it is 7.62 x 51 / .308. Why because it can and has been used on both two and four legged critters with considerable success. Ammo is widely available for each of the specific purposes under consideration even though they are different. I submit for thought that there are several types of gunsmiths each with their respective areas of expertise. Therefore I make use of three types of gunsmiths, one for handguns, one for hunting rifles and one for so called "black" rifles. I use the term "Black" rifles loosely knowing full well that they are not all black. Knowing that I have a number of different qualifying calibers and manufacturers at my disposal, my "smith" told me years ago that if TSHTF the rifle you grab is your FN/FAL. I'm beginning to think he was right.
Shootist43
Fortunately my gunsmith excels at work on all 3 plus shotguns.
I do like the FN/FAL in Australia it is known as the SLR or L1A1, the L1A2 is the selective fire version.
Cheers mate Bob

I think I am set for handgun ammo (12K in pic). I have 20K of clean brass that I need to rollsize, decap, swage and size and then I am ready to reload those as well. Probably this weekend, 4 hours to rollsize, and then about 7 hours to do the rest of the processing then good to reload.
Tanks
You might just have enough 9mm mate.
I have enough powder, primers, projectiles and cases for about 3,000 rounds, 400 12 bore cartridges and 1500 22 rimfire.
If I run out of that bad luck as long as I can feed and defend my family IF THE NEED EVER ARISES I'll be happy but I can't see it happening in OZ so I'm one of those that don't really give a rat's arse.
Enjoy life be happy, when the fan throws to much at you GO HUNTING.
Cheers mate Bob

It is quite nostalgic to know that you were in the American Army at the time , dchamp .
Please allow me to break it down for you . During the British colonial era , Bangladesh and Pakistan were both parts of India . After 1947 , India won her Independence and Pakistan separated from India near 1948 . There were 2 parts of Pakistan : East Pakistan and West Pakistan . Despite being called Pakistan ... the people of East Pakistan and West Pakistan were very different in their ideologies . Examples include :
> People of East Pakistan considered Bengali to be their state language . People of West Pakistan considered Urdu to be their state language .
> Despite, both East Pakistan and West Pakistan consisting predominantly of Muslims .... their ideals were different .
East Pakistani people follow(ed) a far more liberal ( and in my opinion , sensible ) interpretation of Islam .
We liked our women to have open hair and not wearing those disgusting black burkha things . We liked music , Western clothes , cinema , art . We liked the freedom of men to be able to shave their beards off , if we wanted . West Pakistanis saw us , as " Heathens " .
We wanted secularism . The West Pakistanis wanted a constitution based largely on Shariah Law .That was a problem to our freedom .
> The government of West Pakistan were ( to put it shortly ) making policies that were crippling the economy of East Pakistan . Our primary source of economic revenue used to be textiles , jute and fish .

So , Sheikh Mujibur Rahman ( the gentle man who created Bangladesh ) began to lead a movement demanding that East Pakistan become independent from West Pakistan .
Of course , West Pakistan did not take too kindly to it . In January , 1971 .... they confiscated every single fire arm belonging to the East Pakistani civilians .
On 25th March .... West Pakistani General Tikka Khan ( " The Butcher Of Baluchistan " ) led " Operation Search Light " . This was one of the largest genocides on civilians to be conducted by a military in the 20th century in South East Asia .
They went from door to door gunning down anyone who could not speak Urdu . They specifically targeted colleges and universities , and their primary focus was on eradicating as many college professors and students that they could find .
They broke in to dormitories and hostels and butchered the males like hides of beef . Our women... Well , death would have been a kinder fate towards them .
Thousands ( yes , thousands ) of women were taken to the barracks and gang raped , before being killed. Pregnant women were impaled to death on bayonets .
The civilians who were smart enough not to hand over their fire arms , were actually the 1s who began to fire back at the West Pakistani soldiers at the earliest .
On the midnight of 26th March , Sheikh Mujibur Rahman declared war against West Pakistan . After 9 months of fighting ... West Pakistan agreed to withdraw it's forces from East Pakistan on the 16th of December . That day .... Bangladesh was born .
And yes , India did provide aid to Bangladesh. However , they had their own selfish motivations for doing so. Indira Gandhi predicted that Bangladesh would not survive long enough on it's own and would end up becoming a part of India in " less than a year . " .
What she did not expect ... Was that Mujib was determined to ensure that Bangladesh REMAINED independent .
America did side up with West Pakistan , during our Liberation War . However , none of us , freedom fighters hold anything against America . Mujib was great friends with Fidel Castro , Muamar Gaddafi and Joseph Stalin , despite not believing in communism himself . However , Americans ( understandably ) were worried that Mujib would turn Bangladesh in to a communist country if we had won the war . After all , the Vietnam War was just getting finished around that time and Americans did not want communism to spread at all ( nor should they ; it is a disease that ruins entire nations under the disguise of equality . )
I remember that we ( freedom fighters ) were extremely terrified of what might have happened if America deployed forces against us . West Pakistani army ... we could handle . American Army... not a chance in Hell ( and I feel no shame in honestly admitting this . )

I should add here that I was not born in Bangladesh / East Pakistan . I was born in Nagpur , India . In 1971 , I was conscripted in to the Indian Army Rangers and then got transferred to Bangladesh .By the time the war had ended .... I got shot in the face . By the time , I was fully clear to leave the hospital ... I realized that Indira Gandhi's government had banned hunting in India , as well as the ownership of imported fire arms and eating beef ( with meat eating in general , being treated as taboo by Indira Gandhi's vegan radical Hindu government . ) . Since all the freedom fighters from India who had served in the Bangladesh Liberation War , were offered free citizenship in Bangladesh by Sheikh Mujib... I decided to stay back in Bangladesh since 1972 . Hunting , fire arms ownership , meat eating .... These things are far too valuable to me to have continued living in India . @Panther Shooter was a Marks Man during the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War and we became close friends towards the end of the war ( I was his commanding officer ) .
He moved to Bangladesh in 1975 .
@Kawshik Rahman and I used to be friends even before the Liberation War had begun ( since 1963 ) , because Kawshik used to be another professional shikaree . My outfitters was named , " Allwyn Cooper Limited " and was based in Nagpur , India. Kawshik's outfitters was named , " Sundar Raj Shikar Limited " and was based in Darjeeling , West Bengal . After listening to me and his other close friends ( who had also moved to Bangladesh ) ... Kawshik and his family moved to Bangladesh in 1979 .
View attachment 340975 View attachment 340976
Since hunting is legal in Bangladesh ( provided that you take permission from your local police DC and adhere to a pre determined bag limit ) ... it goes without saying that people like us are much happier here .
It may be a 3rd world country less than 50 years in to it's independence .... But we are proud of it . We fought for it and gave our blood .

I hope that this shall aid you in understanding a little about the Bangladesh Liberation War , dchamp.
Friend Ponton
Those West Pakistani were real low life bastard to wantonly destroy life as they did. It is truly wonderful that you are able to live as you do now, enjoying life to the fullest.
My father was in the Korean war as was also shot in the head. Fortunately he was shot in the cheek with the bullet taking out a few teeth and out the other check. A very lucky man indeed as he was shot with a Russian Ppsh41, burp gun. War at times is a necessary evil needed to protect the down trodden.
I am glad you survived your ordeal my friend along with the others to regale us with your wonderful adventures of a bygone era.
I am sure friend Panther Shooter Is looking forward to joining yourself and friend Rahman for more hunting in the near future.
Keep safe and well my friend
Bob Nelson

Major Sir
The most unsettling ones were the ones impaled on the bamboo stakes and not the bayonets . For some reason , all of the ones which we came across ,that were impaled on bayonets were always already dead by the time we came across them.
Before you were posted in Rajshahi, we actually came across one Gathar Maath in RUET University’s courtyard where at least four of the dying girls among the impaled corpses were still breathing even after being impaled on the bamboo stakes .
Joynul Sir had ordered us to shoot them and put them out of their misery .
My Friend Panther Shooter
What a truly horrible job but far better than hearing the suffering.
I hope you are keeping safe and well my friend and are soon reunited with Friends Ponton and Rahman enjoying a great hunt together and a few drinks. A beautiful 4 horn or chiral backstrap with a nice spice coating dipped in a nice riata (cucumber and mint yoghurt ), it's making my mouth water thinking about it.
Keep safe and well my Friend
Bob Nelson

I don't post very often, but I'd just like to say that this thread has gone right down the crapper,,,,,.02 cents.
ornery
My 2 cents worth if you don't like a history lesson or the truth that these fine gentleman tell us about and hopefully we never have to do what they have done you may feel free to take your 2 cents worth and disappear back down the said crapper. These gentleman are to be admired for thier courage and convictions.
Bob Nelson

Friend Ponton
Those West Pakistani were real low life bastard to wantonly destroy life as they did. It is truly wonderful that you are able to live as you do now, enjoying life to the fullest.
My father was in the Korean war as was also shot in the head. Fortunately he was shot in the cheek with the bullet taking out a few teeth and out the other check. A very lucky man indeed as he was shot with a Russian Ppsh41, burp gun. War at times is a necessary evil needed to protect the down trodden.
I am glad you survived your ordeal my friend along with the others to regale us with your wonderful adventures of a bygone era.
I am sure friend Panther Shooter Is looking forward to joining yourself and friend Rahman for more hunting in the near future.
Keep safe and well my friend
Bob Nelson
The Korean War was an extremely violent and brutal war , Bob. Your father is an extremely fortunate gentle man to have survived the painful ordeal. He is a true war hero and has earned my highest degree of respect . I got shot in the right cheek as well. The bullet was a 7.62 × 39 mm solid metal covered spitzer style bullet , fired from a Kolashnikov AK 47 anti personnel rifle . Fortunately , I lost only 4 teeth and a small portion of my tongue . It still hurts a little bit to talk for prolonged periods of time . However , I am otherwise , perfectly alright now by the Grace Of God ... ever since the surgery in 1976 . Countless braver men have suffered much more grave injuries than I ... while serving their country . It is an occupational hazard which we all choose .... the moment that we make the decision to serve , during war time .
I thank the Lord every day ... that I did not lose either of my eyes . I suppose that it could have been far worse , than it did .

Ornery, I agree with those who disagree with you. Why do you think the OP picked the acronym SHTF for your choice of rifles should this situation occur? BTW it is the two legged creatures not the four legged ones that you need to be concerned about.

My Friend Panther Shooter
What a truly horrible job but far better than hearing the suffering.
I hope you are keeping safe and well my friend and are soon reunited with Friends Ponton and Rahman enjoying a great hunt together and a few drinks. A beautiful 4 horn or chiral backstrap with a nice spice coating dipped in a nice riata (cucumber and mint yoghurt ), it's making my mouth water thinking about it.
Keep safe and well my Friend
Bob Nelson
Bob Nelson
I certainly wish that four horned antelopes were available in Bangladesh ! I have not had the pleasure of hunting any , since 1970 ( in India ) . I have only had the good fortune to shoot two of these creatures in my entire life. However , their venison is indeed , “ To Die For “ . @Major Khan Sir used to shoot countless of them for the larder in India’s Maharashtra State , prior to 1971 , though . Chital Deer however , is Bangladesh’s most popular mammalian game animal and we routinely hunt them on a seasonal basis. They are indeed , extremely delicious and can be seared just like a steak of beef. I believe that you Australian gentlemen also have Chital Deer in your homeland. Unless I am very mistaken, they are referred to , as “ Axis Deer “ in the Western World.

I've been a long time advocate that every able bodied head of household should own and be proficient with what I call a homestead rifle. The purpose is to be able to defend your home against government tyranny/dystopian mobs, provide sustenance and serve as a militia weapon if called upon by appropriate authority. Caliber/configuration are optional. Mine is a M1A carbine 7.62x51/308. I took a Scout Squad, removed the rail and replaced the hand guard with one without the rail cutout. It looks a whole lot like the new Tanker version except with an 18" barrel and synthetic stock. I have two of them exactly alike. The second one is a fully functioning parts kit for the first one.

It's a true battle rifle caliber that also happens to be one of the best all around hunting calibers ever. The biggest things near me are elk and black bear and it's more than adequate for both of them.

These SHTF weapon of choice discussions are amusing if for no other reason than to read the logic others use to make their choice. Some of it is valid, some of it is interesting and some of it is laughable. I'm sure my choice is a little bit of all of those to somebody else.

YMMV

I've been a long time advocate that every able bodied head of household should own and be proficient with what I call a homestead rifle. The purpose is to be able to defend your home against government tyranny/dystopian mobs, provide sustenance and serve as a militia weapon if called upon by appropriate authority. Caliber/configuration are optional. Mine is a M1A carbine 7.62x51/308. I took a Scout Squad, removed the rail and replaced the hand guard with one without the rail cutout. It looks a whole lot like the new Tanker version except with an 18" barrel and synthetic stock. I have two of them exactly alike. The second one is a fully functioning parts kit for the first one.

It's a true battle rifle caliber that also happens to be one of the best all around hunting calibers ever. The biggest things near me are elk and black bear and it's more than adequate for both of them.

These SHTF weapon of choice discussions are amusing if for no other reason than to read the logic others use to make their choice. Some of it is valid, some of it is interesting and some of it is laughable. I'm sure my choice is a little bit of all of those to somebody else.

YMMV

Is that like the pictures I have seen of the Springfield armoury socom rifle?

Interesting, it seems .308 may be a popular choice in various configurations. How is current ammo availability? Possibly better than toilet paper but I have heard ammo has been selling fast.
I’m sure the .223 ARS etc and some handguns are good choices. Handguns have restrictions in Australia mostly only approved for target use but if tshtf we would Worry about that’s if normality returns.
I guess with a .308 you have a little more on your side than a .223 in terms of impact

I'll have to give this question some thought before I answer but it is an interesting topic.

Is that like the pictures I have seen of the Springfield armoury socom rifle?
Not quite. The SOCOMs have a 16" barrel and a unique front sight/gas block setup. They aren't interchangeable with regular M1As and if you replaced the barrel on one of them you'd have to either stick with a 16" or buy a whole new gas block, etc. What I did was essentially make a Standard out of a Scout Squad. It looks exactly like an M1A Standard but with an 18' barrel instead of a 22". I get to keep all the interchangeability and aftermarket parts availability of a Standard but the shorter barrel is handier in the role of a defensive carbine. At 18" it's still more than adequate for reasonable range hunting too. Here's a pic of one of them. The other is identical except it has a black synthetic stock.

IMG_0798.jpg

Bob Nelson
I certainly wish that four horned antelopes were available in Bangladesh ! I have not had the pleasure of hunting any , since 1970 ( in India ) . I have only had the good fortune to shoot two of these creatures in my entire life. However , their venison is indeed , “ To Die For “ . @Major Khan Sir used to shoot countless of them for the larder in India’s Maharashtra State , prior to 1971 , though . Chital Deer however , is Bangladesh’s most popular mammalian game animal and we routinely hunt them on a seasonal basis. They are indeed , extremely delicious and can be seared just like a steak of beef. I believe that you Australian gentlemen also have Chital Deer in your homeland. Unless I am very mistaken, they are referred to , as “ Axis Deer “ in the Western World.
Friend Panther Shooter
In Australia they are known as chital as well We have the Sambar as well, it is the spelling is different where you are my friend
Keep safe and well my friend, Bob

Not quite. The SOCOMs have a 16" barrel and a unique front sight/gas block setup. They aren't interchangeable with regular M1As and if you replaced the barrel on one of them you'd have to either stick with a 16" or buy a whole new gas block, etc. What I did was essentially make a Standard out of a Scout Squad. It looks exactly like an M1A Standard but with an 18' barrel instead of a 22". I get to keep all the interchangeability and aftermarket parts availability of a Standard but the shorter barrel is handier in the role of a defensive carbine. At 18" it's still more than adequate for reasonable range hunting too. Here's a pic of one of them. The other is identical except it has a black synthetic stock.

View attachment 343571

Ok thanks . Looks good

I've never been much of a prepper. Really though, all you need is a tool to make you less attractive to criminals. No matter what gun you have you will always be a harder target than your neighbour who doesn't have one.

Understanding of other methods of defence/attack comes as high as your gun. If someone can walk up to your house behind a sack truck with a metal plate on it then chuck a home made bomb through your window, the whole plan has gone downhill rapidly. A $10,000 5.56 or 7.62 isn't going to stop something that simple no matter how many rounds you fire. A $1 petrol bomb or two will give them something to think about though.

Technology has moved on now. If a government was that deep in the brown stuff they wouldn't send out soldiers to sort it, they'd air strike with chemicals and radiation. We don't have the technology or money to oppose that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg