Bull Elephant Hunting Calibers. What Rifle Would You Choose?

My choice would be my .458 Win Mag ZKK602 with RMR sight and 450 grain flat point solids for up close but I would bring my scoped .375 H&H as well with 300 grain flat point solids. It’s not much of a choice as that’s all I have that is suitable. I would prefer the 458 Win Mag to be a 458 Lott but finding someone to modify the chamber in the UK is difficult and it may be easier just to find a .different 458 Lott instead.

Maybe IS Sweetman?

I’ve successfully shot bull elephants with a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.
50E65020-917E-44EB-8B9B-C405A21BDECC.jpeg
6E487668-DA78-43F7-AB06-40F2F10D9CF1.jpeg
451D950C-B54C-4DB1-97CE-0CC1875302B4.jpeg
A3972903-5A52-4D0E-9525-0A6EF7700778.jpeg
FF0BE386-8741-413F-A143-D90A53B3FB30.jpeg

I formerly preferred Remington 300Gr round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids (which may have been loaded with Hornady bullets but I have no way of verifying that).
68BB3677-E6CC-4E4B-A18C-36A9EEE68D7F.jpeg
A332C95F-702E-4CB0-A9EC-DF6E160B1D01.jpeg
CB05A6CE-ABF1-44A4-BC55-B863F99117DE.jpeg

Now, I prefer Norma 300Gr Monolithic Solids (among factory loads).

.375 caliber is perfectly adequate for brain shots on even the biggest bull elephants from all angles. But it’s very marginal for body shots on elephant (I speak from personal experience). So I can’t recommend it as a serious elephant hunting caliber.

For elephant, my preferred caliber would be either .600 Nitro Express (in a double rifle) or .505 Gibbs (in a magazine rifle and only with 600Gr bullets). Even though I can comfortably handle the recoil from both these calibers, I must let sanity prevail and it would be criminally irresponsible of me to recommend them to someone unless they are fully comfortable with the amount of recoil that these two calibers generate.

So, for most hunters I’d recommend the .458 Lott as a good all-round elephant hunting caliber if you prefer magazine rifles. If you prefer double rifles, then .500 Nitro Express.

Your .458 Winchester Magnum is perfectly adequate, though.

As for bullets, if you’re limited to factory loads… I really like Norma monolithic solids. If you hand load, then I strongly recommend the Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Solids (but just don’t go over 450Gr in the .458 Winchester Magnum)

Double rifle or bolt action is a matter of individual preference. But use the platform which you’re most comfortable with shooting quickly and accurately. If it’s a double rifle, then just make sure that it features a non-automatic safety.

Last edited:
I went today and got my 4457 forms done for my R8 458WM/375 H&H combo. I also got one for my Sako 416 Rigby, but I'm 90% sure I'll use the R8.
I've been shooting my R8 458 quite a bit and it shoots very well with the 450gr CEB solids. It's a handy little rifle that carries like a dream. I have a 1MOA RMR mounted on it with a QD base. I also have a Nikon 1-4×20 scope sighted in for it, and it's very accurate with both the RMR and scope.
The 375 barrel wears a Leupold 2-7×33 scope. If I should decide to do some PG/Heyena hunting at some point during the hunt, I'll bolt it on. And it would also fill in nicely for the 458 if any problems should arrise. Bringing along an extra bolt assembly and barrel is almost like bringing a complete extra rifle, without the extra weight/bulk of a complete extra rifle. All will fit in a small take down travel case.

I went today and got my 4457 forms done for my R8 458WM/375 H&H combo. I also got one for my Sako 416 Rigby, but I'm 90% sure I'll use the R8.
I've been shooting my R8 458 quite a bit and it shoots very well with the 450gr CEB solids. It's a handy little rifle that carries like a dream. I have a 1MOA RMR mounted on it with a QD base. I also have a Nikon 1-4×20 scope sighted in for it, and it's very accurate with both the RMR and scope.
The 375 barrel wears a Leupold 2-7×33 scope. If I should decide to do some PG/Heyena hunting at some point during the hunt, I'll bolt it on. And it would also fill in nicely for the 458 if any problems should arrise. Bringing along an extra bolt assembly and barrel is almost like bringing a complete extra rifle, without the extra weight/bulk of a complete extra rifle. All will fit in a small take down travel case.
Whatever you take you will have plenty of gun for the job and I am sure you will have a great hunt. Good luck and can't wait for the hunt report!

If you were leaving this August to hunt a bull elephant and tuskless elephant in Zimbabwe, (as I am), what rifle/caliber would you use? Would you use a double, or bolt gun? 375, 416, or something bigger? I'll most likely be using a Blaser R8 458 WM, with 450gr bullets as my primary gun, with an R8 375 H&H as my secondary gun/barrel. But not 100% decided.
But, If you were leaving this August on the same hunt, what rifle in your current arsenal would you be shooting?
I think I would take a Krieghoff .450/400.

Does your Sako 416 have a wood or synthetic stock? If it's a wood stock rifle, and if that 416 ever makes it to your kitchen counter, please keep me in mind. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I’m not interested in hunting elephant but if I only had a choice of one calibre when working around elephant, I’d choose 500 Jeff in my R8

Other calibres like 458 and 404 are fine, but the OP asked what I’d instinctively choose, not what I’ve got or can afford to buy and run

I don’t care whether it is a double, push feed or my preferred control feed - only that it works, and I’m familiar with it.

so I’d choose …

500 Jeff or 505 Gibbs

But I’m not thinking as a tourist hunter and I’m not thinking of having a PH to rely upon, just another colleague along side

I’ve not much experience shooting elephant other than one cull in the late 70’s

it was enough to put me off for life

j

Last edited:
Only shot one ele so far. Was an easy gun choice, had a 375 H&H, familiar with on moose and g-bears at home, just changed bullets from Nosler to Barnes banded solids. Side brain and all was good. Mine has almost same scope as yours, Leopold 3x9x33 ultralight.

I think your decision to take what you know and are familiar with is a good one. Also if Africa presents something huge other than ele scoped rifle is a good choice for success. 375 kills hyena!

After being given the opportunity to shoot my lion PH's 470 double, the seed "I want one" has been planted. I can only hope/dream that a another ele is within my life and taken with a new to me 470 double.

Waiting eagerly for your hunt report. Have a great hunt.

MB

Does your Sako 416 have a wood or synthetic stock? If it's a wood stock rifle, and if that 416 ever makes it to your kitchen counter, please keep me in mind. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
It has the laminated wood stock. My friend bought it new and fired it 10 times. Then I bought it from him recently. Very nice rifle.
Here it is all dressed up with a Leupold 1.5-5 scope in Optilock Rings.

Resized_20230323_180957.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it. :) Now, don't put it on the kitchen counter tomorrow. Let's say towards the end of the year will be fine. LMAO!!!!!

It has the laminated wood stock. My friend bought it new and fired it 10 times. Then I bought it from him recently. Very nice rifle.
Here it is all dressed up with a Leupold 1.5-5 scope in Optilock Rings.
I like it also, especially on the kitchen island. WTG

MB

Enough to go visit you in Madison. :ROFLMAO:

I’d be using a custom M70 in .458 Lott.

Your rifles sound lovely and well suited to the task. I like the idea of a quick second shot. R8's are pretty quick to reload. If I ever got to hunt another elephant I'd carry my Merkel 140 AE double in .450-400 3" Nitro Express. Loaded with Hornady DGS solids because that's what it's regulated with.

I've got a 450-400 with 400 gr north fork solids that have yet to be fired in anger. you buy me a hunt for elephant (of any kind) and i will be sure to give a solid report on whether or not it was enough gun. ;)

A. its what i have (also have 458 win)
B. it has been a historically good caliber
C. this gun is incredibly accurate for a double

If you were leaving this August to hunt a bull elephant and tuskless elephant in Zimbabwe, (as I am), what rifle/caliber would you use? Would you use a double, or bolt gun? 375, 416, or something bigger? I'll most likely be using a Blaser R8 458 WM, with 450gr bullets as my primary gun, with an R8 375 H&H as my secondary gun/barrel. But not 100% decided.
But, If you were leaving this August on the same hunt, what rifle in your current arsenal would you be shooting?
Rookhawks 470.....

I'm going in June and I have bought, traded and worked on several rifles trying to answer this same question for myself. I ended up settling on the 470 double as my first choice and the 416 Rigby bolt rifle as a back up. I think the 375 is good as long as everything goes good, but in a bad situation I would like to have a little extra shock and awe on impact. I am seriously considering having a set of 500 nitro barrels made for my Kreighoff as well, probably not "necessary" but I really really like the rifle and the 500 would be really fun. The smart play would be to get a set of 30/06 barrels made for it instead of the 500. I really like the gun and plan to use it as much as possible, whitetail, black bear, hogs, so a set of 30/06 or 375 barrels would be much more useful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you