Bull Elephant Hunting Calibers. What Rifle Would You Choose?

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
If you were leaving this August to hunt a bull elephant and tuskless elephant in Zimbabwe, (as I am), what rifle/caliber would you use? Would you use a double, or bolt gun? 375, 416, or something bigger? I'll most likely be using a Blaser R8 458 WM, with 450gr bullets as my primary gun, with an R8 375 H&H as my secondary gun/barrel. But not 100% decided.
But, If you were leaving this August on the same hunt, what rifle in your current arsenal would you be shooting?

I’ll be hunting tuskless in Zimbabwe July 2024 and planning on my .470ne with an RMR.

If I had to leave tomorrow I’d use the same rifle.
141F938D-929F-4F66-8D8C-6246D7B71C75.jpeg

I’ll be hunting bull elephant in Zim in June. Torn between 404J custom Enfield and 458 Lott Model 70. Would like to use the 404, but why own a 458 Lott if you aren’t going to use it when elephant is the target? Both bolt rifles, of course. Shooting CEB solids either way.

If you were leaving this August to hunt a bull elephant and tuskless elephant in Zimbabwe, (as I am), what rifle/caliber would you use? Would you use a double, or bolt gun? 375, 416, or something bigger? I'll most likely be using a Blaser R8 458 WM, with 450gr bullets as my primary gun, with an R8 375 H&H as my secondary gun/barrel. But not 100% decided.
But, If you were leaving this August on the same hunt, what rifle in your current arsenal would you be shooting?
I haven't killed an elephant, but based on what my PH told.me, I'd go with the .458 and 500 gram solids. What does your PH think?

I haven't killed an elephant, but based on what my PH told.me, I'd go with the .458 and 500 gram solids. What does your PH think?
My PH is happy with my 458 and CEB 450gr flat point solids or my 375 with 300gr CEB solids. I'm getting 2250 fps with the 458 and the 450gr solids, so I feel pretty good about it. Of course, with a brain shot, my 375 did just fine on my tuskless last year. I'm just thinking that if a heart lung shot were to present itself, the 458 would be a better choice.

Toby, you got this!
Unless you are Jonesing for another rifle, you are covered.
If I can get more comfortable with it, my 500 N.E. would be my dream choice. Time will tell. PM me if YOU need it!:ROFLMAO:
My .416 Rigby custom on a Dakota action serial number African 76 would be my second choice.
Don‘t overthink this!
Good thread though! I can’t wait for the hunt report!

Too funny…we must be “brothers from another mother”. So looking forward to hunting with you this year! We both buy rifles, love them, then put them on our kitchen counters to sell them only to get another!!! I am bringing both my 470 NE DR and my 375 H&H as back up for my buff and elephant

My PH is happy with my 458 and CEB 450gr flat point solids or my 375 with 300gr CEB solids. I'm getting 2250 fps with the 458 and the 450gr solids, so I feel pretty good about it. Of course, with a brain shot, my 375 did just fine on my tuskless last year. I'm just thinking that if a heart lung shot were to present itself, the 458 would be a better choice.
Sounds like you got it. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

.470 double.

In my "current arsenal" I'd take my 416 Rigby Big Game and 400g Federal Sledgehammer solids and Swift A-Frames.
I'd probably purchase a double in 470NE when I get around to booking an elephant hunt sometime in the next few years.

If I were to grab what I have for your hunt, R8 in 458Lott. I would not bother with the 375h&h. Would travel light and bring as much ammo as possible.

I love the idea of a double, I love the accuracy of my bolt rifles more.

Elephant hunting is where a double really shines if you can shoot them well. If your first shot didn’t have the desired effect you have an immediate second crack at it. But having two shots is pretty useless if you can’t get them on target.

I used a .500/.416 on my one and only bull. I had been thinking about getting a .500, but the .500/.416 worked so well on ele and buff I couldn’t come up with a need for more gun. Also, penetration is about as good as it gets if you need to take a shot at a weird angle.

I’m going to zim for buff and tuskless in June. I did upgrade to a newer Krieghoff with ejectors.

I shot my only bull elephant so far with my 470NE double. I am going again in 2024 to hunt elephant and I will probably use my 470NE but I might use my 450/400 Heym. I don't know if you have a double but if you do that is what I would use. To me elephant should be hunted with a double rifle.

I have never killed an elephant and likely never will. That being stated, it would almost be a shame for you to use anything other than .458. Toby375 just sounds so mundane. :)

If I was leaving in a few months to hunt elephant, I’d be taking my 416 Hoffman, shooting a 400 grain Cutting Edge solid at 2,350. It’d be plenty for any elephant. I’ve shot a couple bulls, with 458 Winchester and with 470 NE. Both worked splendidly. However, I no longer own either of those rifles but find the 416 to be a great rifle for me.
if I was booking such a hunt a year or two out, I’d probably buy a 470, just because I’d like to have another double someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross