Bull Elephant Hunting Calibers. What Rifle Would You Choose?

I'm going in June and I have bought, traded and worked on several rifles trying to answer this same question for myself. I ended up settling on the 470 double as my first choice and the 416 Rigby bolt rifle as a back up. I think the 375 is good as long as everything goes good, but in a bad situation I would like to have a little extra shock and awe on impact. I am seriously considering having a set of 500 nitro barrels made for my Kreighoff as well, probably not "necessary" but I really really like the rifle and the 500 would be really fun. The smart play would be to get a set of 30/06 barrels made for it instead of the 500. I really like the gun and plan to use it as much as possible, whitetail, black bear, hogs, so a set of 30/06 or 375 barrels would be much more useful.

Says the man that hunts whitetail with a 500JEFF, haha. I really don't think the extra 500-700 pounds of energy would be that noticeable IMHO. just food for thought.

If I were to grab what I have for your hunt, R8 in 458Lott. I would not bother with the 375h&h. Would travel light and bring as much ammo as possible.

I love the idea of a double, I love the accuracy of my bolt rifles more.
So who goes to Africa and only shoots an elephant? The .375 is better for PG than the .458 WM.

So who goes to Africa and only shoots an elephant? The .375 is better for PG than the .458 WM.

He is going for 3 animals, 2 elephant and a buffalo.

I stand by choice, I'm going next year not for elephant or buffalo and I'm only bringing my 458Lott. Only have one animal on the list, if I should happen to see something I want to take. I have no problem taking the 458Lott to 200+ yards if needed.

Me. When I am after a big bull elephant that is all I hunt until that goal is achieved . Then I can mess around with other animals.

I do. I have no interest in PG on my upcoming trip. If a buffalo tag is available I will take one otherwise no PG though if a baboon happens to be within 80 yards or so I might try for it with the .500 ;)

I do. I have no interest in PG on my upcoming trip. If a buffalo tag is available I will take one otherwise no PG though if a baboon happens to be within 80 yards or so I might try for it with the .500 ;)
I feel the same myself. PG just doesn't really do it for me. I honestly get more thrill from shooting a nice whitetail deer at home than I get from PG. Buffalo and Elephant are really my only reason for going to Zimbabwe. I would like to shoot a Leopard one day, but it would probably still be mixed in with a Buffalo or Elephant during the same hunt.
I could honestly probably get by just fine this year with the 458 only. But bringing along an extra 375 barrel and ammo adds so little weight to my whole package, I see no reason not to bring it along. If we do end up tagging out on the elephants and buffalo before the end of the hunt, I'll probably bolt the 375 barrel on and shoot a Heyena or a few baboon. Or maybe I'll shoot a Buffalo with the 375. Who knows? Either way it's nice to have choices.

Not until early 2025. Going to London in June to be measured and pick stock.
Congratulations Tanks,

Any trip to England for a fitting is a special thing. The wife and I had a super time in London, even though we had to go to Birmingham for the fitting. London has so much to do and see and the History is everywhere you look. I envy you. I wish we had scheduled more time.
May your new Rifle be all that you had in your minds eye. I am sure it will.

JP

I'd take either a 470 or 500 double and back it up with a scoped M70 in .375 H&H or .458WM. Not sure when my first elephant will happen but I've got plenty of options gun wise and I hope I have to pick sooner rather than later.

I would use my cz 550 in 458 lott. I would vote your 458 win mag with the 450 gr solids. A 458 is a better elephant calibre- bigger hole and hits harder. Nothing wrong with a 375. That is assuming you shoot nearly as well with the 458 as the 375.

The .470 NE DR.

A scoped bolt action (.416 Rigby in my case), as a back-up, if the perfect DR shot didn't present itself.

If only 1 rifle, then (IMO), a bolt action with a detachable scope, in case a well placed shot at distance is needed.

My 500 Double. Back up I take a Scoped 375 H&H and have a Tracker pack it. Some PH's Prefer a Shoulder Shot for a Clients First Bull. My thought on a Shoulder shot is a Bigger Hole is better than a Smaller one. Ask your PH?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross