BOTSWANA: NG 13 Elephant Hunt

Thanks for letting us join this great grant adventure.

I made it to Dubai. The flight was uneventful. Q-Suites are nice and that along with with the “familiarity factor” of having flown this airline on this route in my two previous safaris Caused me to book with Qatar. i am disappointed that they have changed the aircraft on both legs if the Doha- Johannesburg flights and now there is no Q-Suite. Maybe it will still be very nice. Anything that allows stretching out will be appreciated for the crushed discs in my back! Ha!

The process of taking my firearm was daunting to me as a first time novice and I am so glad I used Anne Gaines-Burrill of Hunters Travel Express and Air 2000. Houston Bill here in AH reached out to me and got me to seek assistance just in time! I would not have gotten the double on the plane had it not been for using Tharia Unwin in Botswana and Anne in South Africa to help me! To those of you that are veterans of bringing firearms to Africa I know you are laughing at my ignorance; but on the chance someone like me is reading this post and has never taken a firearm to Africa let me give an example of one thing that shocked me. I fly into Johannesburg in 12 hours or so hopefully. Qatar used air Botswana as the connecting flight from Jo-Berg to Maun. The connection is 1 hour 40 minutes. Anne days I most likely will miss my flight. Bummmer! She said Air Botswana is undependable and has only been flying since October. Anne said that my ticket is the first time she has seen Qatar code share as she called it with Air Botswana. GEE, ain’t I lucky in a bad sort of way! Ha! So I will miss my flight! We will deal with that when and if it happens I suppose. But now back to what I was saying about being shocked about something. My firearm comes into JO Berg in the belly of the Qatar plane. It cannot simply stay in the hands of the luggage handlers and go onto the plane to Maun evidently! It cannot quote “stay in transit”. I am told no matter the hours and half timeframe nor the air carriers involved the firearm has to come off the plane and go with the permit and myself to the police station within the airport. I will then give them my permit that was approved ahead of time with the South African police department and then they will allow that firearm to be checked into the air Botswana flight to Maun Botswana. Now if I have that wrong I apologize but that is the way it has been explained to me. I think most Americans would assume that that Firearms could just have been transferred onto that other plane directly.

Let me provide a few pictures from the air flight from Dallas to Qatar. The pictures begin with departing Dallas at night and you see the city lights from the air and they end with arriving at Doha Qatar

Another couple things I forgot to mention. When I got off the plane here in Doha around the first of August in 2021, I ran into Redlegs who is well known here on AH. I didn’t know who he was at that time but now I do! He helped me find my way though the airport, and has helped me since with questions when I have private messages him. That was my first trip and Joe had to tell me what transit meant and so forth! Man was I scared to be in a foreign land with people dressing so oddly! Ha!! When we got off the plane a hot blast air seemingly straight out of Hades enveloped us! I thought my lungs were singed! I just was not prepared! Ole Joe said, “every time I come back here I remember why I left this place”! Something to that effect! I assumed he meant that it is always hot like that here! I forgot to tell you it was well into the nighttime! Anyway it is not that hot here tonight and so I was pleasantly surprised.

443A5B0F-30E3-45C6-B2AA-4000EDEAFE9B.jpeg
BC2C172A-C042-49A7-B338-A476588DC5AF.jpeg
The pictures begin with departing Dallas at night and you see the city lights from the air and they end with arriving at Doha Qatar
657BE406-90D9-4DDA-AD49-39C0C40B8A6E.jpeg
605A61BC-43EB-4247-B77C-560F3A4CE60F.jpeg
D9E2C501-A9A2-4B0C-8DE5-4ECABE392F68.jpeg
676066D5-21B3-4360-B1B4-521D1275A6BB.jpeg
CB944E38-1140-4BCD-B832-E33D64E88023.jpeg

Last edited:
I made it to Johannesburg without a problem. Like I said previously Qatar changed the Doha-Johannesburg portion of my flight both on the outbound and inbound portion from the aircraft outfitted with the Q-Suites to a different aircraft with the lay-flat seating. It was just fine although I like the suite layout better without a doubt.

I will go in great detail later to give commendations to Anne and her travel service! Yiu will not believe what they were able to do. In less than an hour and twenty minutes I was hustled through so much bureaucracy you cannot imagine and they got me in the plane to Maun! I want you to think about that! I had no boarding pass for the Botswana flight. The gun had to be processed, I had to go to Air Botswana ticket counter and get a boarding pass. At that point I had to go to Air Botswana office and they had to make copies “old school” of all the paperwork. Everything! Then back thru security. On and on! I had a gentleman helping me from a service that Anne contracts with that met me when I stepped off the plane. His name was Thato. He is amazing! He had contacts in immigration and we went to the head of an hours long line. He had contacts he called in the luggage handling department and had them get my bags and rush them to the other plane. Special service! Now I have not gotten to Maun yet to report that My checked bag and my rifle got in the plane but I believe it probably did! I was handing out tips with reckless abandon and happy to do so! We are lined up for takeoff now heading feom Jo-Beeg to Maun. Like I say I want to make a entry to this report and give credit to the individuals from these two services that acted in my behalf to get me on this flight. Anne is amazing!
B7FB89EC-C2C3-4182-990C-E2A13AF912C7.jpeg
943D3910-8DC0-4F4C-8FDF-04502DD1E9E8.jpeg
DE770BAD-2E3F-48D9-931A-7129D1AE8BBA.jpeg
23ED5BDC-9389-4AC3-8586-CA8ADB48C901.jpeg
BDEBC9FF-AFD2-4EDA-A3D8-EDC7B39664E5.jpeg
A6AA72FB-1569-4387-9614-4096E3436BE2.jpeg

Hell yeah getting close there bud ! Your, "I'm spending all my retirement, one time safari", has turned into 3-4 full on excursion. :LOL:

Well, I have been dealt a little setback but I’m still optimistic! My PH is delayed and didn’t make it to meet me at the airport. He is 400 km away and inbound driving like hell. He will arrive in maun tonight.

My ole faithful double rifle made it into the plane with the special care and effort Ann’s team made back in Jo-Berg but my checked bag that contains the locked box with the ammunition is still at the airport in South Africa. I hope that is not going to be an issue! Getting it here is one thing but with the ammo inside I wonder if they are willing to separate it and check the two “bags” separately? Maybe that isn’t necessary in this case? Who knows.

My rifle is across the street at the airports customs office and they won’t release it until a gun permit is produced for Botswana. Leon says it is at a local gun shop and he has sent an airline worker from the airport to go retrieve the permit. A guy at the airport got a taxi and went to the gun store. Gun store says go back to airport and get me and take me and my passport back to gun shop and we will get permit. We go to gun store! Wait ti you see these photos. NOTHING to sell is sports shop. My word! Two locals there with there ancient 303 British rifles. They say they were there late fathers rifles. Can you imagine if these guns could only talk and tell what they have seen in africa! We find out after many calls from the gun shop owner that the permit is in the capitol city of Gaborone. They will send it by courier tomorrow we are told. We go to the Botswana air office in Maun and file a lost luggage claim for my surcease with the clothes and ammo still inside. The lady inquired with Qatar in jo-berg and is told they have the suitcase it just didn’t make the plane connection. I am told mid afternoon tomorrow my suitcase geom jo-berg should arrive on the same flight I came in on this afternoon. I was told there is a 75% chance it will ne here by 2 pm tomorrow. Then with my new found helper named MT, he hangs out and tries to be helpful to lost souls like me and yes “tipping is appreciated”! ha! He reminds me often of how lost I would be if he were not helping me. He knows all the ph’s and this is his niche he says. And there is no doubly he knows my ph and networks with him in the phone to find out what the next course of action we should take is. Now MT and I are off again in another taxi to look for a hotel. We get turned away at the one Reccomended by my PH. But only after the taxi leaves. Now we are afoot. MT had a crutch and GOD bless him. What looks like the symptoms of MS. He says doctors don’t know what it is. Said he woke up one morning in this condition. MT and I are on foot in the sweltering heat walking down a sandy teaum looking foe a guest house that will have me. I have a backpack big enough ti pack out an elk quarter full of crap and it is hot! I’m iverdressed because of course I’m wearing the same clothes I was wearing days ago when I left the lodge and it was 28 degrees. I’m glad I have this flannel shirt and light jacket to carry as I walk with my blistered heal in the sun in the Botswana afternoon! This story is not added too for effect. My luck has taken a turn fie the worse! Ha! Let’s hope tomorrow things take a more positive direction!

It is my understanding that we cannot arrange our hunting license until tomorrow because that is the first day of the Botswana hunting season and you cannot get a license before the season actually starts.
These pictures start with two of the maun airport. Then there are two photos from the enormous hunting and fishing sports shop!
Hell yeah getting close there bud ! Your, "I'm spending all my retirement, one time safari", has turned into 3-4 full on excursion. :LOL:
EBB61CDF-D3A5-4F57-B693-25A816C6F73E.jpeg
3DD23D53-EEEB-4EE1-A6FB-6257AF8BE228.jpeg
117601F3-D791-430F-8729-F16EADB8176E.jpeg
4927B1D5-DC1B-4078-AC7E-44A921736FAB.jpeg

Last edited:
Adventures abound !!

I get concerned when a PH is 400km away and his client has already landed....I also get concerned when the rifle permit is not sorted.....nor the hunting licence.....
Lets hope it is a temp setback....
I wish you the best of luck and a great bull!

Aah, the splendid winding bumpy blind turn roads of Africa hunting. All just part of the adventure, albeit, quite frustrating at times. Deep breath, relax when you find your lodging, and see what tomorrow brings. Been there, done that. You are not the first, nor the last. Looking forward to the updates. Blessings!

Well, I have been dealt a little setback but I’m still optimistic! My PH is delayed and didn’t make it to meet me at the airport. He is 400 km away and inbound driving like hell. He will arrive in maun tonight.

My ole faithful double rifle made it into the plane with the special care and effort Ann’s team made back in Jo-Berg but my checked bag that contains the locked box with the ammunition is still at the airport in South Africa. I hope that is not going to be an issue! Getting it here is one thing but with the ammo inside I wonder if they are willing to separate it and check the two “bags” separately? Maybe that isn’t necessary in this case? Who knows.

My rifle is across the street at the airports customs office and they won’t release it until a gun permit is produced for Botswana. Leon says it is at a local gun shop and he has sent an airline worker from the airport to go retrieve the permit. A guy at the airport got a taxi and went to the gun store. Gun store says go back to airport and get me and take me and my passport back to gun shop and we will get permit. We go to gun store! Wait ti you see these photos. NOTHING to sell is sports shop. My word! Two locals there with there ancient 303 British rifles. They say they were there late fathers rifles. Can you imagine if these guns could only talk and tell what they have seen in africa! We find out after many calls from the gun shop owner that the permit is in the capitol city of Gaborone. They will send it by courier tomorrow we are told. We go to the Botswana air office in Maun and file a lost luggage claim for my surcease with the clothes and ammo still inside. The lady inquired with Qatar in jo-berg and is told they have the suitcase it just didn’t make the plane connection. I am told mid afternoon tomorrow my suitcase geom jo-berg should arrive on the same flight I came in on this afternoon. I was told there is a 75% chance it will ne here by 2 pm tomorrow. Then with my new found helper named MT, he hangs out and tries to be helpful to lost souls like me and yes “tipping is appreciated”! ha! He reminds me often of how lost I would be if he were not helping me. He knows all the ph’s and this is his niche he says. And there is no doubly he knows my ph and networks with him in the phone to find out what the next course of action we should take is. Now MT and I are off again in another taxi to look for a hotel. We get turned away at the one Reccomended by my PH. But only after the taxi leaves. Now we are afoot. MT had a crutch and GOD bless him. What looks like the symptoms of MS. He says doctors don’t know what it is. Said he woke up one morning in this condition. MT and I are on foot in the sweltering heat walking down a sandy teaum looking foe a guest house that will have me. I have a backpack big enough ti pack out an elk quarter full of crap and it is hot! I’m iverdressed because of course I’m wearing the same clothes I was wearing days ago when I left the lodge and it was 28 degrees. I’m glad I have this flannel shirt and light jacket to carry as I walk with my blistered heal in the sun in the Botswana afternoon! This story is not added too for effect. My luck has taken a turn fie the worse! Ha! Let’s hope tomorrow things take a more positive direction!

It is my understanding that we cannot arrange our hunting license until tomorrow because that is the first day of the Botswana hunting season and you cannot get a license before the season actually starts.
These pictures start with two of the maun airport. Then there are two photos from the enormous hunting and fishing sports shop!

View attachment 526710View attachment 526711View attachment 526712View attachment 526715
Glad you made that tight connecton and you are in Maun. Try the Maun Lodge. It's nice and clean. That's where I stayed.

Hopefully your rifle permit arrives tomorrow and your ammo.

I think I mentioned to you that QSuites are only available from DFW to Doha but Doha to Africa is still a large business class lay down seat area but doesn't have the QSuite walls around you. I have never had a QSuite all the way to JNB, Lusaka or Kilimanjaro/Arusha.

Thanks for the well wishes! I have moved from the horrible guest house with no air conditioning and no water to the Sadia hotel here in maun. It is great! My PH arrived from the bush late last night after driving The 10 hours from camp. He would have set me up in the sadia but there were no rooms available. I walked over to the the sadia this morning and had a good breakfast and they booked me into a room. It’s a wonderful property!
I did have Q suites in the Doha to Jo-berg in august of 2021 and 2022. My ticket showed Q Suites as well for this trip until just days before the flight they changed the aircraft. They did not offer any option but to take the flight with the new aircraft or cancel the ticket. The lay down sears were fine if course.
Glad you made that tight connecton and you are in Maun. Try the Maun Lodge. It's nice and clean. That's where I stayed.

Hopefully your rifle permit arrives tomorrow and your ammo.

I think I mentioned to you that QSuites are only available from DFW to Doha but Doha to Africa is still a large business class lay down seat area but doesn't have the QSuite walls around you. I have never had a QSuite all the way to JNB, Lusaka or Kilimanjaro/Arusha

Well folks things are improving. My PH arrived and he and his team are busy getting groceries, getting a safari truck repaired, and sorting out getting my gun permit which is still in Gabrone, Botswana and my luggage; which has the ammo inside, is still in Johannesburg. Last night was rough! It was so hot in the guest house I rented and there was no water to drink. I missed lunch and dinner yesterday but that sure won’t hurt me!

Now I have been moved by my PH to the sadia hotel here in Maun which is fantastic. I walked over to the Sadia Hotel from the guest house this morning and had a good breakfast; now I’m just laying around while the PH and his staff take care of all the logistics and other issues for our safari.

Leon my PH tried to get me into this hotel yesterday but there were no rooms. The tourist season is just about to start here. I’m old the hotel has been revamping all the rooms over the off season. Between the guests that where at the hotel last night, and the rooms that have not quite been finished in remodeling, there was no room for me. I’m here now though!

My Ph, Leon says that he got behind in preparation for my safari because of heavy rains, broken vehicles, and companies that never showed up to drill needed water wells and install the necessary pumps. He said that the well project is being finished now. Leon says we should just plan on extending my departure date if necessary so as not to add stress to this trip that has been fraught with delays and full of difficulties.
I will share a few pictures form the hotel and my room. The gentleman in this picture goes by the name of MT. He stumbled on me quite by accident yesterday in the airport when I arrived there to meet me. He knew Leon and had worked with him in the past so took me under his wing. He evidently works for Clive Eaton and other safari operators operating out of Maun. It is my understanding he’s been around the Maun airport tourism industry for twenty years and so he meets the three flights a day that come to Maun and acts on the behalf of safari companies when they can’t be at the airport to meet clients.

Please let me apologize for some of my posts in which the accompanying photos did not upload! I have battled this problem ever since I have gotten to Maun Botswana I am so tickled to informed you that I have figured out for myself how to make these high file size photos upload to AH with poor signal strength and low bandwidth in the data I just took the photos with my I phone and then screen shot them! The file size was reduced down to the 4 to 700 KB file size instead of the 2 to 4 MB they were when I simply tried to upload the photos directly as taken.
92E1A695-B206-4C72-9F01-A7226B9AD582.jpeg
67BA85BA-D903-47CF-909C-F9A02067055B.jpeg
FB825629-4003-4B42-9B12-A10CCCF47537.jpeg
61B92F93-4488-41D2-B1C8-5360A63881C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Things are moving .... albeit slowly. Another day of sunlight might bring progress.

LOL, I met MT driving through the parks between Maun and Kasane. He had a rig full of photo tourists and was excitedly asking if we though the elephant hunting would reopen soon (this was during the closed years). Small world!

I would have been furious if in your situation..I have been to Maun many times..with rifles and always had the gun permit e-mailed to me to deliver in customs...never a problem.. I cannot fathom that your PH did not arrange for that..

And for being 400km away and not meeting you..that is just hilarious..

Lets hope things improve fast for you..

And avoid Air Botswana if possible...they are completely useless...Air Link is top..

I will rather walk from Maun to Cairo than fly with Air Bots again...be warned..

I would have been furious if in your situation..I have been to Maun many times..with rifles and always had the gun permit e-mailed to me to deliver in customs...never a problem.. I cannot fathom that your PH did not arrange for that..

And avoid Air Botswana if possible...they are completely useless...Air Link is top..

I will rather walk from Maun to Cairo than fly with Air Bots again...be warned..
Well, in Leon’s defense, he offers a .416 bolt gun to his hunters but Jery decided to bring his new double rifle shortly before the safari so everyone is doing their best to make that work. As noted, Leon was delayed by a breakdown. My two friends that hunted with Leon last year had great trips and no problems. Hopefully this trip will now get better.

NG13 is a long way out, which is a blessing and a curse. Crap happens in the bush. We had a when come off a trailer halfway between Maun and Kasane. You just make a plan.

I suspect that the gun permit was a result of the last minute rush to get one.

Bottom line, Jerry’s in Botswana, has an elephant tag, and is flexible on return dates. What’s not to like?

Well folks things are improving. My PH arrived and he and his team are busy getting groceries, getting a safari truck repaired, and sorting out getting my gun permit which is still in Gabrone, Botswana and my luggage; which has the ammo inside, is still in Johannesburg. Last night was rough! It was so hot in the guest house I rented and there was no water to drink. I missed lunch and dinner yesterday but that sure won’t hurt me!

Now I have been moved by my PH to the sadia hotel here in Maun which is fantastic. I walked over to the Sadia Hotel from the guest house this morning and had a good breakfast; now I’m just laying around while the PH and his staff take care of all the logistics and other issues for our safari.

Leon my PH tried to get me into this hotel yesterday but there were no rooms. The tourist season is just about to start here. I’m old the hotel has been revamping all the rooms over the off season. Between the guests that where at the hotel last night, and the rooms that have not quite been finished in remodeling, there was no room for me. I’m here now though!

My Ph, Leon says that he got behind in preparation for my safari because of heavy rains, broken vehicles, and companies that never showed up to drill needed water wells and install the necessary pumps. He said that the well project is being finished now. Leon says we should just plan on extending my departure date if necessary so as not to add stress to this trip that has been fraught with delays and full of difficulties.
I will share a few pictures form the hotel and my room. The gentleman in this picture goes by the name of MT. He stumbled on me quite by accident yesterday in the airport when I arrived there to meet me. He knew Leon and had worked with him in the past so took me under his wing. He evidently works for Clive Eaton and other safari operators operating out of Maun. It is my understanding he’s been around the Maun airport tourism industry for twenty years and so he meets the three flights a day that come to Maun and acts on the behalf of safari companies when they can’t be at the airport to meet clients.

Please let me apologize for some of my posts in which the accompanying photos did not upload! I have battled this problem ever since I have gotten to Maun Botswana I am so tickled to informed you that I have figured out for myself how to make these high file size photos upload to AH with poor signal strength and low bandwidth in the data I just took the photos with my I phone and then screen shot them! The file size was reduced down to the 4 to 700 KB file size instead of the 2 to 4 MB they were when I simply tried to upload the photos directly as taken.View attachment 526845View attachment 526847View attachment 526848View attachment 526849
Just mention to Leon that you’re staying until you get a nice bull. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.