BOTSWANA: NG 13 Elephant Hunt

Jerry,

Can't wait to hear the rest of the hunt and get the data on the tusks.

I am a bit jealous that you are getting to hunt with your double....while mine sits in the safe! :)

Bill

any updates?

Jerry,

Can't wait to hear the rest of the hunt and get the data on the tusks.

I am a bit jealous that you are getting to hunt with your double....while mine sits in the safe! :)

Bill
Well, you will be hunting with it in the near future I am certain! Thanks again for all the help you have been to me! I would not have gotten to hunt with a double rifle if it had not been for you!

01778ea0-7d6b-40dc-825b-64650cd568e9.jpeg
f28bffde-4fbc-4a71-abd3-180de1382723.jpeg

Let me give my friends here in AH an update on my Botswana elephant hunt from this past April. In these first two pictures which I am posting with permission is my assistant PH in training and his father. What an awesome young man. He comes from a hunting family and has a lot of hunting experience already. He has grown up hunting! He is apprenticing for his Botswana PH license and I was his very first hunt! We got along nicely and he is coming to Kansas to spend the hunting season with me this year. I am excited to show him how we do things here in the Midwest! It sure won’t be as exciting as what he does in Africa but I am sure he will love it and be excited to see a new way of hunting and learning about different animals that what he is used to. In these two photos are he and his dad with an elephant they took in a resident hunting area a couple of hours south of maun just a few days ago. He and his dad hunted an elephant last year also and they were successful in that hunt as well. This young man has been in the bush hunting elephants for months and what does he do as soon as he gets off from a hunt? He and his dad head out for an elephant hunt! Don’t you love it? It shows how much this young man loves hunting! Awesome! This elephant that he took has already been delivered to Debbie Peak in Maun and has been officially weighed. I think he said the weight was just over 60 pounds. A very nice elephant he said especially for the area they were hunting in. He described it as very desert like with very little vegetation. He said the hunting technique was to do a lot of long distance glassing and then stalk in on a bull that seemed promising.

As far as an update on my hunt I am still waiting for the ivory to be taken from the bush camp within the hunt area to maun where it will be checked in and out into storage. I was told by my PH that as soon as a truck goes to town with other ivory that mine will go as well. I am certain that is the case and I am not worried about that at all. I am just excited to get Debbie going on reproduction tusks. I saw them at her shop in maun and they were awesome! In my opinion you can’t tell them from the real thing when looking at them but what do I know! Ha! I’ve had my hands on only one bull elephant in my life! I am writing this update only because I finally have something to share. The assistant PH in that came out of the bush camp to hunt with his father sent me a photo of he and one of the trackers with my ivory. He said the ivory was removed and he wanted to share a photo with me. I am appreciative! I am also posting a picture I took at Debbie’s place in maun of some of the replica tusks. I think they are wonderfully done! So fellow AH africa hunting enthusiasts…,, here is the photo and all I have to share at this point.
c423e47f-252b-42e2-bad4-2ac469bc65bb.jpeg
IMG_6080.jpeg
IMG_5820.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 541864View attachment 541865
Let me give my friends here in AH an update on my Botswana elephant hunt from this past April. In these first two pictures which I am posting with permission is my assistant PH in training and his father. What an awesome young man. He comes from a hunting family and has a lot of hunting experience already. He has grown up hunting! He is apprenticing for his Botswana PH license and I was his very first hunt! We got along nicely and he is coming to Kansas to spend the hunting season with me this year. I am excited to show him how we do things here in the Midwest! It sure won’t be as exciting as what he does in Africa but I am sure he will love it and be excited to see a new way of hunting and learning about different animals that what he is used to. In these two photos are he and his dad with an elephant they took in a resident hunting area a couple of hours south of maun just a few days ago. He and his dad hunted an elephant last year also and they were successful in that hunt as well. This young man has been in the bush hunting elephants for months and what does he do as soon as he gets off from a hunt? He and his dad head out for an elephant hunt! Don’t you love it? It shows how much this young man loves hunting! Awesome! This elephant that he took has already been delivered to Debbie Peak in Maun and has been officially weighed. I think he said the weight was just over 60 pounds. A very nice elephant he said especially for the area they were hunting in. He described it as very desert like with very little vegetation. He said the hunting technique was to do a lot of long distance glassing and then stalk in on a bull that seemed promising.

As far as an update on my hunt I am still waiting for the ivory to be taken from the bush camp within the hunt area to maun where it will be checked in and out into storage. I was told by my PH that as soon as a truck goes to town with other ivory that mine will go as well. I am certain that is the case and I am not worried about that at all. I am just excited to get Debbie going on reproduction tusks. I saw them at her shop in maun and they were awesome! In my opinion you can’t tell them from the real thing when looking at them but what do I know! Ha! I’ve had my hands on only one bull elephant in my life! I am writing this update only because I finally have something to share. The assistant PH in that came out of the bush camp to hunt with his father sent me a photo of he and one of the trackers with my ivory. He said the ivory was removed and he wanted to share a photo with me. I am appreciative! I am also posting a picture I took at Debbie’s place in maun of some of the replica tusks. I think they are wonderfully done! So fellow AH africa hunting enthusiasts…,, here is the photo and all I have to share at this point. View attachment 541873View attachment 541874View attachment 541875
Very realistic.

View attachment 541864View attachment 541865

As far as an update on my hunt I am still waiting for the ivory to be taken from the bush camp within the hunt area to maun where it will be checked in and out into storage. I was told by my PH that as soon as a truck goes to town with other ivory that mine will go as well. I am certain that is the case and I am not worried about that at all. I am just excited to get Debbie going on reproduction tusks. I saw them at her shop in maun and they were awesome! In my opinion you can’t tell them from the real thing when looking at them but what do I know! Ha! I’ve had my hands on only one bull elephant in my life! I am writing this update only because I finally have something to share. The assistant PH in that came out of the bush camp to hunt with his father sent me a photo of he and one of the trackers with my ivory. He said the ivory was removed and he wanted to share a photo with me. I am appreciative! I am also posting a picture I took at Debbie’s place in maun of some of the replica tusks. I think they are wonderfully done! So fellow AH africa hunting enthusiasts…,, here is the photo and all I have to share at this point. View attachment 541873View attachment 541874View attachment 541875
Jerry - good talking with you on the phone yesterday. Glad you are doing well.

I recently received an email from Debbie saying that my replicas from my hunt and my gemsbok are ready to ship. The picture you posted has me very excited. I wonder if my replicas are in your picture?! I didn’t know you had pictures of Debbie’s replicas. I have never seen her work. Thanks for posting!

I thank everyone here in AH for being so helpful to me! Next month it will have been only 24 months since I began hunting in Africa. I have learned so much! I have experienced so much! Lion, buff, leopard, and plains game in Tanzania, Elephant near the Okavango in Botswana, and leopard and plains game along the Limpopo in Botswana. Three trips and three amazing adventures. I am now a life member of DSC and next week Craig Boddington is scheduled to visit me at my lodge. I have had an amazing conversation with Sue Tidwell author of “Cries of the Savannah” this past week and we shared our passion for how hunting funds conservation in Africa. Today I spoke with J.J. PERODEAU and thanked him for all the help he gave me with my double rifle that I took on the elephant hunt. I shared pictures of the hunt with him and he was genuinely happy for me and glad to have been a part of my success. I say all this to say that AH and the people I met on this site is how all this began! Wow!
I ordered replicas of the elephant ivory from Kanati in Pennsylvania. I have decided not to pursue importing of the ivory until I see the Botswana elephant permits being reviewed by the fish and wildlife department. When that happens I will go ahead and use John Jackson’s Conservation Force. I have had lengthy conversations with the young man at conservation force in charge of Botswana elephant permits and I have a full understanding of the situation and the process.
Now comes the time to begin planning and dreaming about my next Africa hunting adventure! I am considering a few but I can’t seem to get Bongo in the Congo or Camaroon off my mind!
I am sure AH and it’s members will come through in flying colors again as far as my research for my next adventure!

Last edited:
@Jerycmeach are you ever gonna close this loop?!

Been following your thread for half a year and need closure. Please put us out of our misery!!

Last edited by a moderator:
How on earth did I miss this thread before now?

Congrats on an amazing adventure. You have the right attitude to get the most out of a trip. Many people would have let the initial obstacles sour the entire trip.

Well done all around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!