BOTSWANA: NG 13 Elephant Hunt

I suspect that the gun permit was a result of the last minute rush to get one.

I think this is probably spot on. The clients paperwork only came through a day before he flew.
I’m not sure how anyone could even think about being upset that the permit wasn’t ready by touchdown.

Glad it looks like things are turning around for you Jerry.

Agree with all that buying the double sent the rifle permits into a spasm.

To not have a hotel room booked or a representative to pick you up at the airport if Leon could not be there is inexcusable. These are things that don't normally happen on a $5,000 hunt. They should never happen on a $90,000 hunt. Leon should have built in a day for problems and picking up food prior to your arrival. Not spend your hunting time collecting supplies.

All the best on the hunt. Have the time of your life!

Glad it looks like things are turning around for you Jerry.

Agree with all that buying the double sent the rifle permits into a spasm.

To not have a hotel room booked or a representative to pick you up at the airport if Leon could not be there is inexcusable. These are things that don't normally happen on a $5,000 hunt. They should never happen on a $90,000 hunt. Leon should have built in a day for problems and picking up food prior to your arrival. Not spend your hunting time collecting supplies.

All the best on the hunt. Have the time of your life!
I would agree about the schedule, room and a representative. As for the food, we never miss a chance to pick up fresh food for camp between hunts on our Colorado and Alaskan trips. Jery is not hunting today while they await the firearm permit. A woman staff member already delivered supplies to the camp. Jery might take a helicopter or drive to camp. Depends on firearm permit and logistics.

I would agree about the schedule, room and a representative. As for the food, we never miss a chance to pick up fresh food for camp between hunts on our Colorado and Alaskan trips. Jery is not hunting today while they await the firearm permit. A woman staff member already delivered supplies to the camp. Jery might take a helicopter or drive to camp. Depends on firearm permit and logistics.

After being picked up at the airport, my PH's have stopped to get food/supplies a number of times. It is one of my pet peeves, since this generally could have been done and the vehicle loaded prior to picking me up. I understand the rifle permit makes this a mute point today.

Hope Jerry gets the helicopter ride. From my understanding, no reservations were made and there was no availability of helicopter's due to other outfitter's reserving them first. Maybe the day's delay will allow Jerry to reclaim a day of the hunt with the air ride.

NG13 is a long way out, which is a blessing and a curse. Crap happens in the bush. We had a when come off a trailer halfway between Maun and Kasane. You just make a plan.

I suspect that the gun permit was a result of the last minute rush to get one.

Bottom line, Jerry’s in Botswana, has an elephant tag, and is flexible on return dates. What’s not to like?

Crap, the wheel came off the trailer, not the ‘when’!

Crap, the wheel came off the trailer, not the ‘when’!

I figured it was some Alabama, South African, AH slang or something. :ROFLMAO:

After being picked up at the airport, my PH's have stopped to get food/supplies a number of times. It is one of my pet peeves, since this generally could have been done and the vehicle loaded prior to picking me up. I understand the rifle permit makes this a mute point today.

Hope Jerry gets the helicopter ride. From my understanding, no reservations were made and there was no availability of helicopter's due to other outfitter's reserving them first. Maybe the day's delay will allow Jerry to reclaim a day of the hunt with the air ride.
My understanding is Jerry can stay longer if he wants. Hopefully, that won’t be necessary. :A Thumbs Up:

Jerry - Focus on the good times ahead. You are in BOTSWANA...that must feel great! Most of what you are experiencing is outside of your control. It sounds like you're maintaining a positive attitude and focusing on the variables that are within your control. Fortunately for you, you're extraverted and carry enough Africa experience to handle yourself in Maun without a company representative.

All - That being said, after reading the comments regarding your predicament, let's not use the TIA excuse. As hunters/clients it is our responsibility to hold professional hunters and operators to a consistent standard within that locality of operation. I've followed this post anxiously, but found a few red flags along the way. Camps, roads, boreholes (two critical components to success) not being complete. I have a hard time with that when a hunt is marketed at 80-100k. Company representatives having issues with the Qatar Airlines firearms transit permit. I ran into that exact issue...the very first time I flew with Qatar. I solved it in 15 minutes. And, now lack of a representative present, no rooms available, etc. That's disappointing. Things happen...wheels come off...but shouldn't there be a contingency plan in place.

I'm excited for Jerry to get out in the bush. I hope the worst of it is behind him!

Jerry - Focus on the good times ahead. You are in BOTSWANA...that must feel great! Most of what you are experiencing is outside of your control. It sounds like you're maintaining a positive attitude and focusing on the variables that are within your control. Fortunately for you, you're extraverted and carry enough Africa experience to handle yourself in Maun without a company representative.

All - That being said, after reading the comments regarding your predicament, let's not use the TIA excuse. As hunters/clients it is our responsibility to hold professional hunters and operators to a consistent standard within that locality of operation. I've followed this post anxiously, but found a few red flags along the way. Camps, roads, boreholes (two critical components to success) not being complete. I have a hard time with that when a hunt is marketed at 80-100k. Company representatives having issues with the Qatar Airlines firearms transit permit. I ran into that exact issue...the very first time I flew with Qatar. I solved it in 15 minutes. And, now lack of a representative present, no rooms available, etc. That's disappointing. Things happen...wheels come off...but shouldn't there be a contingency plan in place.

I'm excited for Jerry to get out in the bush. I hope the worst of it is behind him!
The area was hunted last year with great success. There are camps and roads but more are being built in an area with no infrastructure or villages.

Best of luck to you sir! I look forward to reading your hunt report!

I thinks we may be heading the ten hours drive into bush today. They say the roads are very bad but this is all part of the adventure to see the countryside on the way. I suppose for the PH that has to do this hard trip constantly it must be a real pain but for your first timer in will be an adventure.
The gun permit was organized yesterday using a pdf and customs accepted that copy and released the gun and ammo to me. They will hold the copy until the original arrives by courier. I spend the day yesterday riding around with MT the PH helper and we ended up getting the rifle and the luggage with the ammo inside. It took trips to the airport in which we had to go though security and then across the airport tarmac and into the customs Office entering as if you had just disembarked the airplane.
I am optimistic that a great safari awaits. If you could only listen To a few of our conversations about the challenges and adversity the PH faces operating out here you would understand.
Here are a few pictures of my trips to customs yesterday to get the rifle and luggage as well as MT my assistant who is holding up my gun permit.
51009A11-0B3B-43EA-8DE0-C5EE8C8E6175.jpeg
6F0C38FA-C1FD-455D-95BD-A7CDC33F9306.jpeg
0FCCDF57-A738-4554-9ACC-8560A7FDDFE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I was graciously offered to stay longer and Leon has offered to cover any cost of the change of airplane ticket. You can’t beat that. Leon said that maybe we can even get in an unplanned hunt if we get a bull early. These folks are really trying to show me a great time.
My understanding is Jerry can stay longer if he wants. Hopefully, that won’t be necessary. :A Thumbs Up:

Glad everything looks to be coming together. Have the time of your life!

@Jerycmeach you have the right attitude, relax and go with the flow so to speak and enjoy the adventure. It is always a bit of a hassle when things don't go as planned and adding last minute changes will always allow Mr Murphy to come in a dance on your patience. Have a fantastic hunt and blood your new double.

Take a deep breath, you are in Africa, and most if not all of the issues were/are beyond your control. Enjoy your stay, soak it all in, and most important, shoot straight. Good luck sir!

We are on our way to camp! The hunting license was sorted out just before dark yesterday so we stayed in Maun one more day. We left at 4 am with a tracker and a camp attendant and have put four hours of driving behind us already. We are taking a short break along the Okavangoo river and then it is six more hours to camp on rough gravel and sand roads.
C5962CC0-12D8-4429-8281-D989A36603FD.jpeg
B18EDBE0-A0FA-49EE-9DE6-6C02759DC119.jpeg
F187385F-E337-4620-8CAB-6FD259023312.jpg
D3C03A40-0AF9-4805-8415-670A3260AB9E.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness!

From what I’ve been told, the Manager of the local Community Trust misappropriated some of the money that Leon and his partner (the wealthiest family in Botswana) paid to the Trust for the hunting quota. The Department of Wildlife would not issue licenses until the money was replaced or proof of payment shown. In addition, the Department of Wildlife’s computers were down for a while. The President of the Trust helped get things resolved and the Manager is now out of the way. Quota and licenses now issued for this year’s hunters! The Trust has been embroiled in this internal controversy for a while but nobody knew it would affect licensing until Leon went to get Jerry’s license, which cannot be issued until the first day of the season. Thankfully, things are finally sorted! Jerry - you’re a saint for being so patient!

Rock on Jerry! Enjoy the safari! Loving the updates. Trending right direction.

Hi Jerry,

Here is what I think..all the challenges you have faced on your way to camp in Botswana only mean that lady luck is now going to shine on you. Sometime in the next 2 weeks you are going to find a huge bull, make a great stalk and bag yourself the trophy of a lifetime! Good luck my friend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!