Bit with Africa Hunting Bug - Warning, Contagious!

Chris M.

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, US, South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, New Zealand, Greenland, Argentina
Hello All;

My name is Chris from Calgary, Canada and came upon an opportunity to do some volunteer work in April 2018 (building a small structure for a community gathering) near Ndola, Zambia and thought while there, fish for tigerfish in Zambia on the Zambezi River. End of wet season so not ideal and decided to go hunting instead; which is also a passion as locally hunt deer, elk, moose, upland and migratory birds. Three months before I left, was able to check out the SCI Africa Show in Calgary and landed on a safari in Namibia (with Etosha View Safaris). Amazing trip with lifetime of memories and was able to harvest springbok, black-faced impala, gemsbok, red hartebeest, and kudus (57.5" and 50").

I couldn't stop thinking of the experience and so went back in October 2018 to Port Elizabeth, SA with Induna Safaris for bushbuck, southern impala, waterbuck, blesbok and blue wildebeest. Induna was also a fantastic place with excellent PH, food and overall experience.

Little did I know how infected I had become (N.B. - watch TV shows on Africa hunting and subscribe to African Hunting Gazette) that needed to bring my wife this summer to drill a water well in Zambia, then drive the Garden Route from Cape Town on PE, hunt again at Induna Safaris (nyala and mountain reedbuck), fish for tigerfish on the Chobe and Zambezi, then hunt at Etosha view in Namibia (warthog and ?).

I really don't need a vaccination (AKA sensibilities and reason), just need more time. Booked a trip in 2020 to go to Mozambique (croc) and Tanzania (gazelles and what I think I will be ready for, cape buffalo).

Africa is a magical and wonderful place and happy to go to outfits that are conservation minded and support the local communities. Doing some volunteer work coupled with fishing and hunting is a life's passion and I hope I will have many more years beyond my current 56 to follow these pursuits.

Thanks for the info shared on this forum and best of success in your African pursuits!

Welcome to the African hunting addiction site. We all understand your addiction and will enable any chance we get.

Welcome to AH Chris! Great intro and glad you got bit.

:S Welcome:

Chris, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are mixing in some very good things for the locals as well as the hunts for yourself! Great idea!

Welcome to AH, Chris!

Giday and welcome to the A H forums Chris

Welcome to AH.

What were you building in Ndola?

Zambia is certainly one of my target destinations.

You were not very far from @spike.t on that visit of yours.

Hi Chris, welcome to AH !

Many of us here are bitten with the same bug!

Welcome to AH.

What were you building in Ndola?

Zambia is certainly one of my target destinations.

You were not very far from @spike.t on that visit of yours.

Building a small structure for community get togethers in a village called Kalende. Simple posts support with rough sawn lumber rafters/rakes, metal corrugated roof. Going back this summer to drill a water well and install a hand pump in a village called Maposa. Hope to get to Takeri Reserve for hunting in this trip or in future as stones throw from areas plan on being at for the community volunteer work. Love to get a puku and a lechwe.

Welcome to AH and Zambia is one of my favorite counties to hunt. Beautiful place and people. Kudos on your community work as giving back is a great part of experiencing Africa.

Hello All;

My name is Chris from Calgary, Canada and came upon an opportunity to do some volunteer work in April 2018 (building a small structure for a community gathering) near Ndola, Zambia and thought while there, fish for tigerfish in Zambia on the Zambezi River. End of wet season so not ideal and decided to go hunting instead; which is also a passion as locally hunt deer, elk, moose, upland and migratory birds. Three months before I left, was able to check out the SCI Africa Show in Calgary and landed on a safari in Namibia (with Etosha View Safaris). Amazing trip with lifetime of memories and was able to harvest springbok, black-faced impala, gemsbok, red hartebeest, and kudus (57.5" and 50").

I couldn't stop thinking of the experience and so went back in October 2018 to Port Elizabeth, SA with Induna Safaris for bushbuck, southern impala, waterbuck, blesbok and blue wildebeest. Induna was also a fantastic place with excellent PH, food and overall experience.

Little did I know how infected I had become (N.B. - watch TV shows on Africa hunting and subscribe to African Hunting Gazette) that needed to bring my wife this summer to drill a water well in Zambia, then drive the Garden Route from Cape Town on PE, hunt again at Induna Safaris (nyala and mountain reedbuck), fish for tigerfish on the Chobe and Zambezi, then hunt at Etosha view in Namibia (warthog and ?).

I really don't need a vaccination (AKA sensibilities and reason), just need more time. Booked a trip in 2020 to go to Mozambique (croc) and Tanzania (gazelles and what I think I will be ready for, cape buffalo).

Africa is a magical and wonderful place and happy to go to outfits that are conservation minded and support the local communities. Doing some volunteer work coupled with fishing and hunting is a life's passion and I hope I will have many more years beyond my current 56 to follow these pursuits.

Thanks for the info shared on this forum and best of success in your African pursuits!
Hi Chris, would you mind sharing some of your pictures? When do you plan to be in Namibia again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chris, would you mind sharing some of your pictures? When do you plan to be in Namibia again?
Hello John;

Plan on being back this July; traveling from Vic Falls, through Botswana and into the Caprivi to do some tiger fishing and then on to Etosha Hunting. Some pictures attached

Black-face Impala.JPG
Kudu 57 Inch.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
Red Hartebeest.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Welcome Chris.

Welcome to AH Chris! Nice to have you on the site and we look forward to you sharing your stories!

Welcome to AH Chris! Nice to have you on the posting side, looking forward to reading your posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.