Big Bore Addiction Group

Welcome Cody!

You are right where you need to be! :)

• .500 jeffery.jpg

• .500 jeffery from the custom shop with 20 inch barrel to go with the .416 rigby, two .458 lotts and a .470 :)

This is why I shoot a 416Rigby

View attachment 31934

There comes a time in every active person's life, when he or she is confronted with some immediate danger that cannot be avoided, and all that's left is to stand your ground and shoot it out.

That really is amazing....

I will freely admit that I wonder how I would handle a real charge. Would I do what I'm supposed to? Would I make the shot?

I also hope I am never in that situation especially as it would most likely be due to a mistake I had already made, but I do wonder.

It is part of the a lure of dangerous game i suppose.

Welcome Cody you are among good company.
Igbsafaris That brings a new meaning to "Danger Will Robinson" A RPG comes to mind on a proper firepower:oops: But planning on using a 405 double next year.

I have been in the unfortunate position to face three charges in my life.
1. Wounded Leopard in Mozambique.
2. Elephant cow in South Africa
3. Lion in South Africa

Those who tell you that being charged by something is exiting and gives you an adrenaline rush has never been charged by anything bigger than a housecat.
This is a position that I try to avoid by all costs. But if it happens there is nothing else to do than to stand your gound and face the danger head on.

We were 2 Ph's and the client when the Lion picture was taken. Each one had a rifle in hand, 458Lott, 416Rigby and 375H&H
The Lion charged after the client fired his second shot.

lbgsafaris my wish for you and all PH's is that your clients shoot true, arrive in good physcial shape, and the toughest decision is to celebrate a DG hunt with, Beer-Amarula-Fine Irish Whiskey? I salute you and all PH's with a Fine Irish:)

I ended up facing a hippo charge in '08. First shot off by a little bit, body shots by PH as he was running for the water turned him around, and once he was clear for me to take a second shot I put him down for good.

It was one of those surreal time slowing down experiences. The adrenaline rush came after it was all over knowing how things could have ended so much worse. It does make for an interesting conversation, gives me a chance to do some mild chest thumping now that it's all over, but if I never go through anything else like that again I'll be perfectly happy.

While I have never faced a charge by a wild animal, I have been shot at during my time with Uncle Sam's Yachting Excursions, Inc. It was there that I learned a couple of things - first, excitement and adventure do not necessarily have to be fun and second, Churchill was right - "there is no feeling like that of having been shot at....and realizing they missed"

7 x 57 Mauser TOP
416 Rigby middle
.410 Shotgun bottom

IMG_3482.JPG

I've got to give credit to the guy who faced that lion charge armed with a camera. While my goal would be a nice clean quick kill on the first shot, in the event that I did get charged and I managed to stand my ground and take care of the lion, I'd want a good still photo like that one rather than the video in which I scream like a little girl. The story is just going to be a lot better.

Regards the actual topic of the thread...

I guess what put me on the path was probably a 50 Alaskan in a Marlin lever gun. I tried it at a shooting school and while I wasn't ready for that at the time, I was intrigued. I took a brief detour to a handgun: a Blackhawk 45 Colt 5 1/2 inch barrel. Loaded with Buffalo Bore 325g bullets at about 1300 FPS it is a vicious little beast. That was at another shooting school and I actually borrowed a 500 S&W so I could have something comfortable and easy to shoot for the majority of the class and then shot an elk with my revolver and I liked what it did.

Got a 50BMG M82a1 in honor of Obamas 2008 election and avoid the ban that never came. Sure, it is $5 or more a shot, but 10 shots is a completely satisfying day of shooting, so it is kind of a cost savings if you can manage to have the sun right in your wife's eyes when you try to actually say that. But the part about it being satisfying in small doses is completely true.

That brought me to my 404 and I'm starting to really enjoy it. Had it out the other day and when I came in my wife commented that she heard it quite clearly from in the house but that it really did have a nice deep boom, like a Harley rather than a rice rocket. If she finds the sound of the 404 more pleasant than a 30-06, I suppose I'll just have to be the good husband she deserves.

Last edited:
cant say ive ever owned a 50 BMG, couldnt find a use for one. on the other hand, the 404 Jeffery is indeed a nice cartridge and its a shame more companies dont make rifles chambered this cartridge. im jealous of your 404 Jeffery, got any pictures?

-matt

A 50 has no practical hunting use, but is very useful for having a good time. It is also useful for home defense under a very limited and unlikely set of circumstances. In the event that someone decides to attack my house with a Cat D9, I'm covered.

DSCN1601.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
wow! that is one fine firearm sir!

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!