BETTER QUESTIONS To Ask When Looking For A Hunt

QUESTION: What do you require to book this hunt?
BETTER QUESTION: What do you require to book this hunt, let me know more about your reservation and payments policy? Also can please supply me with your published Terms and Conditions and/or contract for review?

Question: can I hunt all of the animals on your price list?

Better Question: Of the animals on your price list that I've told you I want to hunt which ones are on the same property and are we likely to run into them at the same time? If any are on different properties how far of a drive will it be to get to them and how many total properties will we have to visit? Please tell me the length of travel and general direction of each separate property from the main camp. Also, are there any animals on the price list that will not be available when I'm there, or that permits are needed for, or that we aren't likely to see?

Last edited:
Question: What happens if I shoot at an animal and we can't find it?

Better Question: What is your written wounded or missed animal policy? Are there any animals that are an exception to those rules and if so, are those exceptions in writing as well?

This thread is really helpful! I think I should write down those questions for myself as it doesn't seem possible to remember all that!

A person should have a list of questions that he needs to ask before booking a hunt. It makes things a lot simpler than contacting the outfitter time and time again to ask them.

QUESTION: Is your hunting territory game fenced?
BETTER QUESTION: Are the hunting territories that we will be hunting game fenced, low fenced or unfenced? If these hunting territories are game fenced, are the trophy animals self sustaining or are they put and take?

Inspired by @Hank2211 in the following thread: http://www.africahunting.com/threads/female-leopard-misstakenly-taken.25044/.

QUESTION: What is your Leopard Trophy fee?
BETTER QUESTION: What is your Leopard Trophy Fee? Also when it comes to hunting Leopard I will rely on my PH to call the shot as to the Leopard to take and since shooting a Female or immature Leopard is not permitted in your country, what happens if one is mistakenly taken by me. Am I still responsible to pay for the Leopard trophy fee? As the hunter am I relieved of an legal responsibility since the PH called the wrong shot? Who is responsible for having to pay the fine if any? What is your procedure when it comes to notifying the responsible authorities about this female/immature Leopard being taken by me?

NOTE: The above question could be adapted for any other species.

Last edited:
Are you licensed?

Which provinces or countries are you currently licensed as an Outfitter?
Which provinces or countries are you currently licensed as a Professional Hunter?
What are your current license/Permit numbers?

An additional note to this one:

What are the endorsements on your license?
Is my PH licensed for Dangerous Game where we are hunting?

I thought that it would be appropriate to post this here from a lesson learned in the following thread: A Very Disturbing Lion Hunt: http://www.africahunting.com/threads/a-very-disturbing-lion-hunt.31397/ and a great tip given by @LivingTheDream in the following post: http://www.africahunting.com/threads/a-very-disturbing-lion-hunt.31397/page-5#post-300448.

In the mean time, here is what I learn, know the cameraman you hire, and make sure you have a lock tight release contract.

When contracting a filming company and/or hiring a cameraman to film your hunt or take photographs make sure to cover your basis with a contract that stipulates that you legally own all of the film and photographic material and copyrights.

I thought that it would be appropriate to post this here from a lesson learned in the following thread: A Very Disturbing Lion Hunt: http://www.africahunting.com/threads/a-very-disturbing-lion-hunt.31397/ and a great tip given by @LivingTheDream in the following post: http://www.africahunting.com/threads/a-very-disturbing-lion-hunt.31397/page-5#post-300448.

When contracting a filming company and/or hiring a cameraman to film your hunt or take photographs make sure to cover your basis with a contract that stipulates that you legally own all of the film and photographic material and copyrights.

I would also make sure that when the finished product is done and you are satisfied, all the raw footage is contractually deleted.

Question: Do you allow bow hunting?

Better Question: Is your property exclusive for bow hunting? If not, will others be hunting on the property with rifles while I am bow hunting? Please describe your bow hunting blinds in relation to wind direction, water holes and if they are ground blinds, pit blinds or elevated blinds. Are these blinds designed for bow hunters?

I was actually on a property that had blinds but they were set upwind of the waterholes for the prevailing winds. They were also sloped on the ceiling and fiberglass and rang like a drum if you bumped them and were so cramped that you would be hard pressed to shoot a bow from them.

A person should have a list of questions that he needs to ask before booking a hunt. It makes things a lot simpler than contacting the outfitter time and time again to ask them.

Being totally unfamiliar with African hunting and outfitters, this is why I went with SSI and their recommendations. They have hunted with several outfits and sent me a list which I researched, talked with the outfitter and made my decision.

QUESTION: Can you please provide me with your price list?
BETTER QUESTION: Can you please provide me with your daily rates price list for 2017? Let me know how the arrival and departure days are counted and charged as? Specify also if your daily rates include any government taxes and what the percentage is and provide me with a list of all that is included and excluded with your daily rates. Provide me with your trophy fees and let me know wether a government tax is applicable and payable on wounded game which is not recovered and/or trophies/animals that are not exported.

Note: Wounded game which is not recovered is considered as hunted and is subject to payment of the listed trophy fee. In case of an animal wounded and not recovered, you may want to ask if there would be the possibility to hunt another specimen of that same species and what would the trophy fees be.

Last edited:
QUESTION: Is the first field preparation of the trophies and the delivery of my trophies to the dip & pack company or taxidermist included?
BETTER QUESTION: Is the first field preparation of the trophies included or as part of my daily rates? If not what is the cost per species? Is the delivery of my trophies to the dip & pack company or taxidermist included? Can you please provide me with the name of the dip & pack company and taxidermist that you recommend? Should I choose to use a different dip & pack company or taxidermist would there be a delivery charge and what would be the cost if I were to use XXXXXXXXXX?

QUESTION: Are your prices all inclusive?
BETTER QUESTION: Can you please provide me with all third party expenses, costs, charges, fees and taxes that you are aware of such as:
- Entry visa
- Vaccination and immunizations
- International certificate of vaccination
- Medications
- Custom charges
- Firearm and ammunition importation permits
- Hunting licenses and permits
- CITES export and import permits
- Park/Concession/Game Management Areas
- Meet and greet services
- Accommodations before or after the hunt
- Car/boat/plane transfers
- Insurance
- Bank charges

Note: Here is a good thread which provides more information on the above: What is the TRUE cost of my African Hunting Safari!: http://www.africahunting.com/threads/what-is-the-true-cost-of-my-african-hunting-safari.7139/.

Please share your QUESTIONS / BETTER QUESTIONS here!

QUESTION: Can you provide me with a list of client references?

BETTER QUESTION: Can you provide me with a current list of client references specific to the type of safari that I am looking for such as Father/Mother son or daughter, family groups, couples on safari, or clients who have pursued dangerous game with you?

I scanned the thread and did not see the following questions but, if they have already been posted by others, please forgive a confused old man here - LOL.

Questions to ask previous Clients / Persons Listed as References:

1. What did you appreciate the most about your experiences with "_________" Safari Company ?
2. What did you appreciate the least or perhaps would like to see changed, maybe done differently by them ?
3. Were there smaller game animals present in huntable numbers, especially warthog ? (indicating adequate water or lack thereof).
4. What hidden or "surprise" costs if any, did you encounter there ?
5. Are you booked to go back to this same outfit or, do you plan to book there next time you can afford it ?

Last edited:
When asking for references for specific species that you are after.

QUESTION: Can you provide me with your Leopard clients' reference list?
BETTER QUESTION: Can you provide me with your Leopard clients' reference list and include also the hunters who did not get their Leopard.

When calling the hunting outfitter clients' references it is important to ask hunters not only about the actual hunt but also their experience with the first preparation of their trophies, dip & pack, taxidermist and shipping agent. Ask if they used the service providers that the outfitter recommended or if they went with a company of their choice. Ask about time frame, cost, quality of service provided, response time, communication. Would they use these companies again?

Ask your hunting outfitter the name and contact information of the dip & pack, taxidermist and shipping agent that he/she refers his clients to and find out how long they have been working with each one of them.

I would recommend contacting all of them well prior to your hunt for a quote which will give you an indication as to what you can expect paying based on the scenario of animals and work to be done that you provided to them. Ask for a turn around time frame as well.

Remember that you are free to choose the service providers that you want to work with.

When asking for references for specific species that you are after.

QUESTION: Can you provide me with your Leopard clients' reference list?
BETTER QUESTION: Can you provide me with your Leopard clients' reference list and include also the hunters who did not get their Leopard.

Or for any specifc species, or the outfitters usual package.

You'll learn a just as much hunter who didn't fill his tag or get all of those listed on a package than those that do get everything. Did the outfitter put reasonable effort into hunting the species not taken? Did the want you to take the first one you saw? The only one you saw? And talk to more than one reference to get a better idea of things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg