Best Caliber for Tiny 10?

Wont work for Vaalie, mtn reedbuck or klipsprinher in most cases..
Those 3 often require longer range shots but only the klippie is part of the tiny 10.
 
I apologize for not making myself clear, your point and mine are the same. My position is that the anatomy of African small game and small mammals everywhere else is the same, something very small like a hard cast 44 special would be ideal, assuming you were there to hunt small game exclusively. I understand that doesn't happen often.
A hard cast bullet would absolutely work. However, the other tricky part is that optics are often very handy if not a necessity for a shot at several of these little guys. A suni, dik dik, or blue duiker may only be thirty yards away, but the shot is often in bad light through a tiny window in thick brush at a very small target. Moreover, you may only get one opportunity. My blue duiker, for instance, took a lot of days over three safaris in two different countries.
 
Those 3 often require longer range shots but only the klippie is part of the tiny 10.
Correct and well aware of that but us locals we add the other two due to difficulty to obtain and the hunt to actually get them...
Damara Dik dik is Namibia and Oribi about impossible to get a permit.....
 
That has more to do with the bullet used than the caliber. Use a proper bullet and that won't happen.
Really? so which bullet would you suggest? A proper one for a 243 Win for this application?
In particular for blue duiker, red duiker, suni, sharps grysbuck, dik dik? Etc....
 
Last edited:
Optics is why I chose the Marlin, much easier than a Winchester to mount a scope.

The longer range stuff sounds a lot like our varmint hunting. Something like a Speer TNT maybe? You cn certainly load that bullet into a PG cartridge.
 
Really? so which bullet would you suggest? A proper one for a 243 Win for this application?
In particular for blue duiker, red duiker, suni, sharps grysbuck, dik dik? Etc....
I would hand load something like a Sierra 100gr pro hunter or a Nosler 100gr partition at something around 2600-2700fps mv. Either should work beautifully without being explosive.
 
Nosler Partition or a Sierra....you are joking right??? In 243 Win???
Most 243 Win dont stabilize 100gr bullets especially if American made to to twist rate.....if you get them to stabilze they need to be travelling at near max velocity. Good luck....

How many of the tiny ten or anything that small have you shot with this combination at 25 yards in forest environment???

I guess zero or you are into euro mounts only.....
 
Nosler Partition or a Sierra....you are joking right??? In 243 Win???
Most 243 Win dont stabilize 100gr bullets especially if American made to to twist rate.....if you get them to stabilze they need to be travelling at near max velocity. Good luck....

How many of the tiny ten or anything that small have you shot with this combination at 25 yards in forest environment???

I guess zero or you are into euro mounts only.....
 
In order to stabilize a 100gr bullet you would need to have them trotting at 3000fps plus...factory is about 3100fps........
 
Zero is correct but I have found those bullets to work without being explosive on small N.A. game. What would you suggest?
 
What is small NA game at what distance?
 
Imagine an 8 lb very fragile skinned antelope at close range in dense forest........
Bear in mind that all African small antelope the male is a lot smaller than the female of the same species....

Round nosed old school solids at max 2400 fps is the best bullet and for the smaller ones a non magnum shot gun with the apropriate size shot is the best option.
 
Ideal would be a 7x57 with a 170/175 grn round nosed solid at 2300 fps and a 12ga in a combination gun for a dedicated small forest duiker rifle......
 
Even a 9.3x74R/12 ga combination would be a excellent choice with same round nose solid...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,572,954
Members
169,661
Latest member
henetwplodor1984
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top