Best Caliber for Tiny 10?

Professor Mawla

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I would use either :
a ) A steel jacketed meplat nosed 500 grain solid from my .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum )
b ) A .222 Remington
c ) A 12 bore loaded with Eley Alphamax 2 3/4 inch AAA shells

GeoffB

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, SSAA, ADA
Hunted
Australia, NZ, USA - OR, South Africa, Eastern Cape, Free State
What I am using is the Barnes 70gr going 2850 and no problems. I attribute it to the Barnes bullet being a harder bullet and just does not do the damage on the smaller ones. I know it sounds strange but I've done it over and over with excellent success.

@Philip Glass - I agree that the .223/Barnes 70gr is probably one of the best combinations for a dedicated Tiny 10 and small game rifle. I have been running the barnes bullets at moderate velocities in my little Sako .222 for years on game up to the size of pigs and fallow deer. Based on your experience and the results you have achieved in Africa I have put this information under my belt and just ordered a .223 barrel with a 1:7 twist (J Sip & Sons) for my Blaser R8. All so I can run the 70gr Barnes for future tiny 10 hunts once the borders open again and we can get back to Africa.

I have been following this thread with interest as I have a fascination with hunting the tiny 10 since my first trip. I was going to hunt a few more this year until the virus put a hold on travel.
So far I have only taken three species of the ten. Steenbuck, Common Duiker and 2 X Klipspringer. I have also thought about what is the perfect calibre/bullet combination. I have used a .243 loaded with 65gr brass solids on all my tiny ten so far. These solid bullets leave a small entry/exit hole but can take a little while for them to stop running.
Well except one shot - my first Klipspringer was at 143 yards. I was shooting downhill along a cliff face to an area thick in vegetation in the Eastern Cape. There was a cool breeze blowing up the cliff face into my face. Enough to make me shiver after glassing him for a while. The Klipspringer was laying down sunning himself next to a large rock in a valley below. I changed to a soft point in the .243 thinking this would anchor the Klipspringer for fear of loosing him in the thick bushes in the valley to the right after the shot. All a good idea until my shot landed 2" to the right destroying the side of his head, shoulder and the fragmentation of the bullet ruining the cape. So as flexible is a .243 for the longer shots on small to medium African game I will pull back to a .223 with a 70gr Barnes at moderate velocity for the job.
Here is a photo of the position I took my first Klipspringer from. Its not always flat and grassy in Africa.

1598938424975.jpeg

Last edited:

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
@Philip Glass - I agree that the .223/Barnes 70gr is probably one of the best combinations for a dedicated Tiny 10 and small game rifle. I have been running the barnes bullets at moderate velocities in my little Sako .222 for years on game up to the size of pigs and fallow deer. Based on your experience and the results you have achieved in Africa I have put this information under my belt and just ordered a .223 barrel with a 1:7 twist (J Sip & Sons) for my Blaser R8. All so I can run the 70gr Barnes for future tiny 10 hunts once the borders open again and we can get back to Africa.

I have been following this thread with interest as I have a fascination with hunting the tiny 10 since my first trip. I was going to hunt a few more this year until the virus put a hold on travel.
So far I have only taken three species of the ten. Steenbuck, Common Duiker and 2 X Klipspringer. I have also thought about what is the perfect calibre/bullet combination. I have used a .243 loaded with 65gr brass solids on all my tiny ten so far. These solid bullets leave a small entry/exit hole but can take a little while for them to stop running.
Well except one shot - my first Klipspringer was at 143 yards. I was shooting downhill along a cliff face to an area thick in vegetation in the Eastern Cape. There was a cool breeze blowing up the cliff face into my face. Enough to make me shiver after glassing him for a while. The Klipspringer was laying down sunning himself next to a large rock in a valley below. I changed to a soft point in the .243 thinking this would anchor the Klipspringer for fear of loosing him in the thick bushes in the valley to the right after the shot. All a good idea until my shot landed 2" to the right destroying the side of his head, shoulder and the fragmentation of the bullet ruining the cape. So as flexible is a .243 for the longer shots on small to medium African game I will pull back to a .223 with a 70gr Barnes at moderate velocity for the job.
Here is a photo of the position I took my first Klipspringer from. Its not always flat and grassy in Africa.

View attachment 365538
Great story on the Klipspringer. They are tricky. I shot mine with .375 solid and it was not good but that was what I had at the time. Don’t get me wrong it wasn’t a mess it’s just that the 70gr 5.56 would have been better. Any big gun and you are going to blow out some hair on the Klippie.
I’m glad you’ve found the 70gr Barnes to be so versatile as I have. It has amazed me. I routinely use it for deer here at the ranch. Keep in mind the Barnes ammo I am using is 5.56. You might convey that to Justin for your new barrel. I’m not sure how much difference it makes but you do want ammo and rifle to match when traveling.
Philip

Von S.

AH fanatic
Reaction score
No way I'm a "tiny 10" slayer as it just ain't my thing and they look like pets to me, but when it was offered here by a long term member to whack the hell out of one with a big solid out of a 375 hh I had to try as I never shot one with a 300 buster before.

Having no tiny 10 running about I substituted fat groundhogs instead.

Having no ⁰hot two at less than 100 yards and it did go well as in that they both went strumming a harp into the afterlife, but one went there almost in two, but the other one just had 2 holes.

I got out my 9mm parabellum tiny rifle a d did well.

RayAtkinson

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI Dallas
Hunted
RSA, Botswana, CAR, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Kenya way back when, and a few others that I can't remember.
Quit looking at caliber, most will work, pick a proper bullets such as a 243, 250 savge, 270 or 30-06 whatever, I chose a mid weight bullet. Ive shot a lot of those smaller AFricana animals with 338 and 375 with bullets designed for buffalo, Lion and hippo and shoot them in the rib cage not on bone (shoulder)….The will run a ways generally but not far, but if you use a shoulder shoot break them down in the shoulder or they will sometimes go a mile or more..Im not fond of solids until buffalo, hippo and elephant or something going south..Just my two bits..

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.