Best Caliber for Tiny 10?

Imagine an 8 lb very fragile skinned antelope at close range in dense forest........
Bear in mind that all African small antelope the male is a lot smaller than the female of the same species....

Round nosed old school solids at max 2400 fps is the best bullet and for the smaller ones a non magnum shot gun with the apropriate size shot is the best option.
Clearly, you know what you are talking about, and I appreciate your subject matter expertise; it just seems odd that you all aren't using very fragile varmint bullets like a V-Max, Ballistic Tip, TNT, etc. Literally hundreds of thousands of 8lb, very fragile skinned mammals are killed with them every year. Lots of them (admittedly possibly a little bigger) in dense forests at spitting distance. These bullets are specifically designed to kill and not destroy the pelt, and they work down to very low velocities.

It seems to me that a downloaded PG cartridge of 30 or smaller with a varmint bullet would be the best answer. Even a shoulder hit will result in a clean kill with minimal pelt damage. Any reason a solid would be better?

Clearly, you know what you are talking about, and I appreciate your subject matter expertise; it just seems odd that you all aren't using very fragile varmint bullets like a V-Max, Ballistic Tip, TNT, etc. Literally hundreds of thousands of 8lb, very fragile skinned mammals are killed with them every year. Lots of them (admittedly possibly a little bigger) in dense forests at spitting distance. These bullets are specifically designed to kill and not destroy the pelt, and they work down to very low velocities.

It seems to me that a downloaded PG cartridge of 30 or smaller with a varmint bullet would be the best answer. Even a shoulder hit will result in a clean kill with minimal pelt damage. Any reason a solid would be better?
Exactly how many kinds of bullets do you plan on taking with you on safari? Most travel to Africa with just one or two rifles...with maybe as many as 2 loads per rifle. Even then, they may need different scopes for those loads or make adjustments to the scope they have. Keeping track of all of this takes time...time you could be hunting or possibly missing a shot fumbling with ammo.

Keep it simple. One load per rifle or rent a camp rifle/shotgun for specialized game. Your PH will know what will work best for the given quarry. Listen to your PH...they put the "P" in professional hunter. Take a 375 with premium softs for PG and a few solids for the opportunity to take some of the T10 should it arise.

Again, I'm certain you are correct, it just bothers me to no end. Shooting an 8 pound animal with a 375 H&H just fractures something in my brain.
The thread is titled "Best" caliber for Tiny 10, as if you were going to Africa to hunt a portion of the Tiny 10 (I understand doing it all in one trip is not really feasible for most.) That is really where my thought process is coming from. I don't think anyone building a "Tiny 10 rifle" would recommend a magnum of any sort?

Reactions: IvW
What would be wrong with the 150gr. Hornady 30cal. bullet. They make one that is a solid.

I like the .243 Winchester and the 100 Gr Winchester Super X Power Point. Solids in a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum are also a favorite of mine. I’ve also had success against duikers with a tightly choked 12 Gauge shotgun and AAA shot or number 4 buckshot ( in very specific circumstances ).

My limited experience compared to many people here is that the usually the tiny 10 are targets of opportunity. I will acquire them all as able and I have 4 so far with 2 more next summer hopefully. 3 taken with .375 solid and 1 with a partition in mid body. No problem at all

Bought a Savage 2400 in 308W/12ga combination. Waiting for Sako qd mounts. Gonna load 200gr hopefully they will stabilize or I will try some solids for the forest duikers.

Never have and never intend to hunt the T 10, but have had lots of experience on fox, coyote with a 222 223 and 22 250. Moderate velocity and using a Sierra Blitz or Hornady SX and no exit on either…even used in groundhogs and a few nuisance beavers…..never an exit wound. If for larger..Springbok the a move to a 70 or 75 grain bullet would work . The 223or 22 250 would be an option in either situation if slower twist. 8/twist. Definitely keep the 22 250 under 3500fps with 50 gr, closer to 3200 preferred. Lots of 22 cal bullets versatile enough for most situations are available if reasonable use is considered on what game fits the 22 cal.

Never have and never intend to hunt the T 10, but have had lots of experience on fox, coyote with a 222 223 and 22 250. Moderate velocity and using a Sierra Blitz or Hornady SX and no exit on either…even used in groundhogs and a few nuisance beavers…..never an exit wound. If for larger..Springbok the a move to a 70 or 75 grain bullet would work . The 223or 22 250 would be an option in either situation if slower twist. 8/twist. Definitely keep the 22 250 under 3500fps with 50 gr, closer to 3200 preferred. Lots of 22 cal bullets versatile enough for most situations are available if reasonable use is considered on what game fits the 22 cal.
Not sure this is what most hunters would want to use on such a small animal. The rapid expansion of the bullet and transfer of energy into the animal (which is why the bullet doesn't leave the animal) can cause massive damage to the hide. This is a video of a bullet similar to what you had mentioned although the impact velocity is higher.

Most hunters looking to harvest the T10 want the skins for mounting. Going with a slower, larger bullet that doesn't expand is usually preferred. This creates a pencil wound, and on an animal weighing less than 25 Kg, is more than enough.

Would hate to see what any of these would do to a blue duiker.....

The V Max is not on the same level as the SX, the old style lead tip. At 3600+ FPS is way to fast as I noted above not to cause excessive damage. My experience on saving hide from 6 lb red fox to 35 lb coyoteno exit and a small entrance IF velocity is moderate. Just my experience. Speed explodes the V Max….try them on a prairie dog, separates into two or more sections. The Barnes Varmint Grenade…well adapted to its name when drive around 3500 +, the Sierra Blitz and Hornady SX warn not to exceed 3500 fps..the can disintegrate before the target. Under 3000 FPS on a 222 or 223 never had an exit except on prairiedogs

And all of this was done at 10 to 20 yards in forest on an animal that weighs 4 to 8 lbs? No exits and just a tiny entry wound on one side?

Nope! At that range and animal size….a shotgun. 5 or 6 shot 12 ga improved cyl. But that would be worthless on a steenbok at 150 yds in open plains. So just carry both a rifle and a shotgun and you will be ready for any opportunity on any animal in that size. Always prepared is the byword. That settles any question.

The V Max is not on the same level as the SX, the old style lead tip. At 3600+ FPS is way to fast as I noted above not to cause excessive damage. My experience on saving hide from 6 lb red fox to 35 lb coyoteno exit and a small entrance IF velocity is moderate. Just my experience. Speed explodes the V Max….try them on a prairie dog, separates into two or more sections. The Barnes Varmint Grenade…well adapted to its name when drive around 3500 +, the Sierra Blitz and Hornady SX warn not to exceed 3500 fps..the can disintegrate before the target. Under 3000 FPS on a 222 or 223 never had an exit except on prairiedogs
I have shot a .223/5.56 quite a bit - at game from foxes, through feral hogs. I use to shoot a 22-250 a lot. I wouldn't use a 50 gr bullet from either of any construction on a suni, dik dik, or blue duiker. I think with any of the three you would have an 80-90 percent chance of explosive damage. A red duiker would be a 50-50 proposition. You would still have a 20-30% chance of destroying an oribi. Rolling the dice on those sorts of trophies and fees would not be something I would do or recommend to anyone.

Not sure this is what most hunters would want to use on such a small animal. The rapid expansion of the bullet and transfer of energy into the animal (which is why the bullet doesn't leave the animal) can cause massive damage to the hide. This is a video of a bullet similar to what you had mentioned although the impact velocity is higher.

Most hunters looking to harvest the T10 want the skins for mounting. Going with a slower, larger bullet that doesn't expand is usually preferred. This creates a pencil wound, and on an animal weighing less than 25 Kg, is more than enough.
@BeeMaa
I wonder how the Barnes varmit grenade would go. Ot can be launched as t 4,300fps out of a 22/250 and even a grape will cause it to explode. I have used the 30gn hornet varmit grenade and it doesn't exit on rabbit but kill really quickly.
Bob

An unfired Tikka 222Rem/12ga combination has come up for sale and I am very tempted to add it to my combination rifle collection.....
I am just not sure about the hammer and also the slots in the.front.of the 222Rem barrel.....but unfired I might just buy it for a tiny ten/truck/camp/night critter rifle.....

I was thinking about this a little bit today. Lets be practical, you aren't going to bring over a load of guns to shoot the tiny 10. So in light of that, let me change the thinking.

The most important thing for the tiny 10, and the big-5, and everything in between is the bullet you use.

Do you bring a variety of bullets with you to address the need at hand? If you were hunting elephant and a grysbok ran by, what would you do? Shoot it with a solid from a 470 of course! And if you were hunting eland with a 375HH and had a swift a frame in the gun, what would you do when a klippy runs by? You'd load a solid, ideally a small one like a 260gr nosler.

So in my line of thinking, the decision is to bring the right loads rather than the right calibers. That means having some #4 shells in my pocket when wingshooting in case a grysbok or dik-dik jumps up, or to have a 470NE solid ready for a far-back body shot on a klippy while elephant hunting.

Does this make sense for those not ready to bring over more guns and ammo than the airlines allow?

With respect to the tiny ten, has there been any experience with using pistol calibre bolt action rifles such as the Ruger 77/357, 77/44? Low velocity and easily obtained in hard cast or fmj loadings. Also any experience with any of the 7.62x39 bolt guns. Not advocating, just asking the question to increase my knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.