Anyone know what happened to these Elephant tusks?

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
I received this morning an email from South Africa, if anyone has any information or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Morning Jerome, Need some help locating the whereabouts of a pair of tusks. The jumbo was shot by my brother-in-laws late father, Mr. F Janse Van Rensburg. The old man was farming in the Eldoret area in Kenya up and till the late 1950's. They used to go jumbo hunting on a regular basis. The elephant in question was shot in 1949 on the Tana river close to Garrisa. Weights were, as we can recall 147 and 148 lb's. Their lengths were +- 11 feet. The old man used a .425 WR. We know that they were displayed at the Nairobi train station for some time. What happened to them then is a mistery.
Your input would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Johan

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerome,

MASSIVE TUSKS ............ wish to know about their whereabouts ....

Monish

Sold?

Great trophies in anycase.

Tusks

The wispers around the campfire go that the oldman and his brother shot a an even bigger (illegal) tusker in Somalia. A single tusker, other one broken of 2/3 of lenghth. Full tusks weight were 212 lb and broken one 80 lb+. Bought himself a new Massey Harris tractor with the ill gained proceeds ! Were tough times for farmers then in Kenya after WW 2

The pic I have was found in my oupas stuff when he died! There aren't any other pics of him so I have no idea of the real story behind it...Just such an awesome Elephant!

It would be interesting to hear the true story behind this giant.

Bet they got made into snooker balls like most them from from that era!:crying:

Jerome, SpikeT told me he shot that Jumbo, and has the tusks on his wall....???? Was he lying to me? :confused::draught::beer:

Just having some fun at spike's expense, monster Jumbo though.

I wanna be a hunter like SpikeT! :) :) :)

Jerome, SpikeT told me he shot that Jumbo, and has the tusks on his wall....???? Was he lying to me? :confused::draught::beer:

Just having some fun at spike's expense, monster Jumbo though.

now they are the small ones!! you should see the big tusks i have framing these ones ;):p:humble::biggrin2::beer:

Hi there. Anyone still on this thread? The guy in that picture is my great great grandfather. I would like to get in touch with anyone who has ties to him. I have original pictures at the house. They were Van Rensburgs. I grew up with this story being told differently.

It’s said that the elephant was old. And the chief of the land gave them permision to shoot it. That’s why they were on display in Kenya as well.

I would like to get in touch and share this. Maybe find long lost family members in the process

Hi there. Anyone still on this thread? The guy in that picture is my great great grandfather. I would like to get in touch with anyone who has ties to him. I have original pictures at the house. They were Van Rensburgs. I grew up with this story being told differently.

It’s said that the elephant was old. And the chief of the land gave them permision to shoot it. That’s why they were on display in Kenya as well.

I would like to get in touch and share this. Maybe find long lost family members in the process

Good luck to you sir in researching your ancestry!

Thanks. Hopefully someone responds. Would be awesome to really look at this and dig deep.

What a story!

Sadly they probably went to China at some point long ago,
Philip

I received this morning an email from South Africa, if anyone has any information or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Morning Jerome, Need some help locating the whereabouts of a pair of tusks. The jumbo was shot by my brother-in-laws late father, Mr. F Janse Van Rensburg. The old man was farming in the Eldoret area in Kenya up and till the late 1950's. They used to go jumbo hunting on a regular basis. The elephant in question was shot in 1949 on the Tana river close to Garrisa. Weights were, as we can recall 147 and 148 lb's. Their lengths were +- 11 feet. The old man used a .425 WR. We know that they were displayed at the Nairobi train station for some time. What happened to them then is a mistery.
Your input would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Johan

watermark.php
Hello Johan.
I have a photo of this same day. It was amongst photographs we found with Richard Kleyhans here in Zim. Apparently his uncle and my grandfather were mates and hunted together....nothing more was known about its origins...perhaps your grandfather and them were all mates?!!
It would be interesting to know where they are today!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerome,

Tony Sanchez-Arino, in his book Africa's Greatest Tuskers, lists these tusks at 172 and 169 lbs. They are 11' and 11'2" in length, making them some of the longest ever measured.

According to Sanchez-Arino, these tusks were sold by van Rensburg to Safariland (old Newland & Tarlton) for 200 pounds in the late 40's to help pay for the expenses of running the farm. Safariland displayed them in their offices to impress hunters. An American hunter paid the ridiculous sum of 1000 pounds :)D) for them in 1960.

Sanchez-Arino does not know where the ivory is at the present, but he does remember them from the old Safariland offices.

Hope this helps.

Magnificent!

G'day Andre

To find history of your family, you could possibly chase up army records, maybe the Kings African Rifles, or the Kenya Regiment. I have a link for the Kenya Regiment, and there are a few soldiers with the same surname.

Kenya Regiment Roll No..png

https://www.kenyaregiment.org/

https://www.kenyaregiment.org/longroll.html

http://www.oldcambrians.com/Photos-KenyaRegiment1958.html

Maybe the soldiers on the attached list may be related, and may still be alive, either way maybe contact the Web Page contacts??

Wish you the best of luck.

Regards

Rob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.24.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.24.54 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 269
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.25.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.25.04 AM.png
    332.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.25.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.25.15 AM.png
    601.8 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
11' are they really? I look at the length of the rifle and the height of the man and 11' seems a little extravagant.
I doubt if the fella is 8' tall lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross