A New To Me Rifle

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
If you are just using it for general hunting and not DG, I do think a 8x scope would be helpful dialing in at 100 yards at the range. Depends how picky you are with groups and zeros.

Beings you have a scope already, um not sure i would incur the extra expense and trouble though

curt, typically the scopes for DG rifles are 1/2moa or even 1cm per click. What that means is all the zoom in the world doesnt really help as you’re always a bit off in one direction or another. The best groups I’ve ever shot at 100 yards were ironically with a 4x Pso scope on a real dragunov...sick accurate. 8x isn’t going to add too much benefit at the range for a 375hh.

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I think Pachmayer makes a Decelearator pad in red (i would keep the color as it's very pleasing on the Ruger No. 1). I have a Decelerator on my 500 Jeffery and it works just fine. I think your scope is about perfect too

Wyatt Smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I think Pachmayer makes a Decelearator pad in red (i would keep the color as it's very pleasing on the Ruger No. 1). I have a Decelerator on my 500 Jeffery and it works just fine. I think your scope is about perfect too
I have a red decelerator on my McMillan stock. When I ordered he asked if I wanted red?

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I have a red decelerator on my McMillan stock. When I ordered he asked if I wanted red?

‘it’s pachmyer old English and no longer made. What you want Is a necg red pad. Looks like a silvers but eats recoil. Comes in 5/8” through 1-1/4”.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Congratulations on the newest addition.

As for the scope...
Why not sell the 1.75-6 and the 2-8.
Invest that money back into a VX5HD 1-5x24.

Aaron.F

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Congratulations on the newest addition.

As for the scope...
Why not sell the 1.75-6 and the 2-8.
Invest that money back into a VX5HD 1-5x24.
This actually what I am now considering doing after all of the previous advice. I was not looking specifically at the Leupold you identified, but at a Trijicon Accupoint. I am in no hurry on getting a new scope so I have some time to do some research.

‘it’s pachmyer old English and no longer made. What you want Is a necg red pad. Looks like a silvers but eats recoil. Comes in 5/8” through 1-1/4”.
Thank you, I will definitely be looking into this.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Please excuse my naivety, what does a Legendary Arms Work Safety offer over the existing safety?

As far as the scope, I would be keeping it if it had the heavy duplex, but unfortunately it does not. Thus I am going to remove it and recoup some of my costs, as I know there is more value in it than my existing 2.5-8.
It offers a more positive removal of the safety and it does not cause the shell to hang up on ejection. It also looks very smart compared to the bowed oem unit.
The original safety is textured and tall. What can happen during ejection is that a belt or rim of a large caliber (375 and up are good examples) you can end up with it getting stuck. The change out of the safety is very simple and its an inexpensive upgrade. It ensures that the cartridge will eject past the safety during ejection. Highly, highly recommend.
The original safety is LONG and scantily textured in my opinion. The length of the tab is what catches the shell upon ejection. This is not a problem with an open sighted rifle. The case just tumbles and clears. The issue arises when a scope is mounted low and the spent case tumbles into the scope body and bounces back into the action race.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
The safety you guys are talking about was/is the Trop safety. Sounds like they threw in with LAW and may have gone out of business. I looked both up and find nothing current on the safety.
One of the mail order houses may have one.

jmclemore

Reaction score
Media

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 8.18.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 8.18.58 AM.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 8.19.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 8.19.01 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 19

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
I looked there but didn't see them. Have a number for the part or anything?

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Thanks, I couldn't find it under parts.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
LOL. Yeah, see it now. The pic of it threw me, looks like something else and didn't read the description! Doh!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgianaR

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.