A New To Me Rifle

Aaron.F

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Well I may have made a mistake, I bought a new to me Ruger No 1 in 375 H&H and I really like it. I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I am looking forward to it. It has fancy engraved rings on it and came with a Leupold VX III 1.75-6. I am thinking of switching the scope out to a Leupold VX 3i 2.5- 8, but I will see. I am also going to upgrade the recoil pad, as the existing is not very good. I have been looking for a while and I think I got it at a good price. I have a feeling this might be the start of something I cannot afford.

ABACB65C-DD08-4784-8A02-DA67F1D341EE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

K-man

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
Well congrats! The .375 is considered around here to be a gateway drug to "bigger" and "bigger" guns. It is a quite useful caliber and you will have a lot of friends in the Ruger #1 crowd here. I think the scope you already have is probably adequate but the replacement would be good too.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Ruger's have thin pads, that being a red pad makes it an earlier model rifle. A better pad is not a bad idea as No.1's much over .30-06 kick pretty good. That will get your attention.
Nice wood!

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Congrats and two cautions. A better pad may be a longer pad. Make darned sure the scope eye relief will tolerate a longer pad. Second, that is about a perfect scope on it. 6x and 8x are no different as both are adequate at all long 375hh distances, however 1x is far more useful than 2.5x if you’re in thick Jess trying to kill something up close. I wouldn’t trade your scope for a 2.5-8x under any circumstances.

congrats again. Very nice gun for safari.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
You screwed up in a good way. Get a Legendary Arms Works safety and you're all set! I love my .375 #1! That's a pretty stock. What's the other side look like?

Last edited:

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Congrats on the new addition!

thriller

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NWTF, NRA, DU, SCI and QDMA
Hunted
Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX and NC
That is a nice rifle! Soon however you will start experiencing urges for larger stronger calibers. You might need to head over to the big bore addiction group so that you can address your budding problem.:E Rofl:

Last edited:

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
AaronF, paraphrasing what you said, "this may be the start of something good." Truer words were never spoken. But in the meantime you have a "solid" hunting rifle. Keep the scope you have for now. Because of the wide range of ammo available for the 375 H&H and the possible distances it is capable of, some of us have two scopes set up on QD rings to take full advantage of that caliber. Don't be afraid to spend a few bucks on a good recoil pad, but make sure that the LOP you wind up with "fits" you. BTW congrats on the new rifle.

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Hi AaronF, a good purchase, I have the same rifle, but with a Leica Magnus 1-6.3. That is a perfect scope for a 375, I agree with the others, stick with it. The Ruger No1 is very versatile and easy to carry. Of course there is a bit of recoil, but honestly it isn't bad, even with the original pad. I wouldn't change that either. My No1 has taken eland (first owner), buffalo, zebra, impala, warthog and sable. Shoot it accurately at modest ranges and it can do it all. I hope you enjoy a long relationship with that rifle and bring it to Africa, you wont go wrong.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I would like to see Ruger offer a run in .375 flanged with 25” barrels. I would jump on that one!

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
I would like to see Ruger offer a run in .375 flanged with 25” barrels. I would jump on that one!

i wonder if you could ream a 375hh chamber and mod the extractor? Or would it require barrrel set back?

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
Congratz on your new rifle, you will have many hours of enjoyment shooting and hunting with it. a new pad will be a very good upgrade from the factory one. Make sure you practice on a quick reload, as the muscle memory develops you will be surprised at just how fast you can get three rounds of accurate fire off with a #1.

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
@rookhawk You would have to set the barrel back as the belt on the H&H is thicker than the rim thickness on the Flanged. It you set the barrel back and did some extractor work it would make for a slick rifle

Aaron.F

AH member
Reaction score
Media
You screwed up in a good way. Get a Legendary Arms Works safety and you're all set! I love my .375 #1! That's a pretty stock. What's the other side look like?

Please excuse my naivety, what does a Legendary Arms Work Safety offer over the existing safety?

As far as the scope, I would be keeping it if it had the heavy duplex, but unfortunately it does not. Thus I am going to remove it and recoup some of my costs, as I know there is more value in it than my existing 2.5-8.

This rifle will most likely never see dangerous game, if I were to hunt dangerous game it would be with a bolt action. I currently have a Ruger African in 375 Ruger, but am trying to sell it just to get something different now that I own this rifle. I have been strongly considering a 400 Whelen.

Do you guys know what brand of rings these are?

Attachments

• 7077016F-B57A-4650-91AA-E74E53633676.jpeg
    7077016F-B57A-4650-91AA-E74E53633676.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 50

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
Congrats on a beautiful rifle. Ruger No.1s are addicting. Let us know how she shoots.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Please excuse my naivety, what does a Legendary Arms Work Safety offer over the existing safety?

As far as the scope, I would be keeping it if it had the heavy duplex, but unfortunately it does not. Thus I am going to remove it and recoup some of my costs, as I know there is more value in it than my existing 2.5-8.

This rifle will most likely never see dangerous game, if I were to hunt dangerous game it would be with a bolt action. I currently have a Ruger African in 375 Ruger, but am trying to sell it just to get something different now that I own this rifle. I have been strongly considering a 400 Whelen.

The original safety is textured and tall. What can happen during ejection is that a belt or rim of a large caliber (375 and up are good examples) you can end up with it getting stuck. The change out of the safety is very simple and its an inexpensive upgrade. It ensures that the cartridge will eject past the safety during ejection. Highly, highly recommend.

Witold Krzyżanowski

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe
Well I may have made a mistake, I bought a new to me Ruger No 1 in 375 H&H and I really like it. I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet but I am looking forward to it. It has fancy engraved rings on it and came with a Leupold VX III 1.75-6. I am thinking of switching the scope out to a Leupold VX 3i 2.5- 8, but I will see. I am also going to upgrade the recoil pad, as the existing is not very good. I have been looking for a while and I think I got it at a good price. I have a feeling this might be the start of something I cannot afford.

View attachment 374588
Very good choice. Congrats.

meigsbucks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe and Namibia
Congratulations on the #1. Great rifles. Keep the 1.75-6x scope. I have one on my .375 and it makes a great combination.

Milan

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Alberta, RSA

Just have the reticle changed on the existing scope. Also, I'm not sure if 1.75 vs. 2.5 makes a big enough difference on the low side of magnification though. 1x yes but 1.75?

curtism1234

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
If you are just using it for general hunting and not DG, I do think a 8x scope would be helpful dialing in at 100 yards at the range. Depends how picky you are with groups and zeros.

Beings you have a scope already, um not sure i would incur the extra expense and trouble though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nnwaowheng

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.